Armory, Self Defense, And EDC > Black Powder and Primitive Weapons

Gun confiscation, are blackpowder rifles exempt?

(1/5) > >>

clayfarmer:
If we ever got to the point where gun confiscation became a reality, wouldn't it make sense to have a few blackpowder rifles (since they don't have to be registered) and all the supplies needed to shoot and maintain them?  Never really thought of this until a few minutes ago, so I'm thinking out loud here.

I wouldn't want to be left without a way to defend myself and take game.  They're relatively inexpensive, powder and balls/bullets are cheap.  And they're a lot of fun to shoot.

How long does powder store under dark, dry, cool conditions?  I would assume indefinitely but I don't know.  If I wanted to buy a case of Pyrodex to store long term, does it have a shelf life?

backwoods_engineer:
Just so you know, there isn't supposed to be gun registration in the free states (of course CA, NY, NJ, etc have it).  To do confiscation, the Jack Booted Thugs would have to grab ALL the Form 4473's, which is a violation of federal law.  Also, not all firearms in the US are bought through gun stores.

This isn't something I'm worried about.  American public opinion is toward MORE GUNS, not fewer.

Mexican_Hippie:
Blackpowder guns are not considered firearms in some states.  So you may be able to legally have or carry them in areas where it would be otherwise prohibited to have a "firearm".

I don't worry too much about confiscation.

bdhutier:
Clayfarmer: Real black powder (not Pyrodex, 777, and other substitutes), stored in a dry cool place, will last well over 100 years.  Pyrodex does have a shelf life, but very quickly deteriorates once opened. 

I really think it wise to include blackpowder weaponry in your preps.  BP can be made easily (trees, water, and urine), ball or shot are easily produced, and wadding/patches are easily procured.  Bad pick for a running street battle, but excellent choice for hunting in rough times.

Mexican-Hippie:  Yes and no... Many states do not define BP weapons, both original and reproductions, as firearms.  Instead, many define them as antiques.  But don't confuse ownership laws with the penal code.  For instance, the Texas penal code defines a firearm as:

--- Quote ---"Firearm" means any device designed, made, or adapted to expel a projectile through a barrel by using the energy generated by an explosion or burning substance or any device readily convertible to that use." -- PC 46.01
--- End quote ---
Rolling the hood with an 1851 Navy under your jacket, and without a CHL, WILL land you in jail. 

Mr. Bill:

--- Quote from: clayfarmer on December 06, 2012, 03:16:15 PM ---If we ever got to the point where gun confiscation became a reality...

--- End quote ---

If we get to that point, they'll be making up whatever rules they want to at that time.  I can imagine a situation where, say, regular shotguns are legal, but black powder and Pyrodex are specifically outlawed because somebody might make a pipe bomb out of them.  Laws don't have to be rational.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version