Author Topic: Greek Wool Blankets  (Read 4955 times)

Offline bigelow

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Greek Wool Blankets
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:22 PM »
Hey all, I believe a quality wool blanket or two is an important part of anyone's preps. Last night I came across some 100% wool Greek surplus blankets for $34.99 on colemans.com. I ordered a couple as good wool is becoming extremely rare. There were no reviews online for these blankets, but the price was right. When they come in I'll post an update to review. In the meantime, if you're trying to track down a heavy wool blanket, these are some of the last I could find. Merry Christmas!

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
Re: Greek Wool Blankets
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:00:40 AM »
That's a pretty decent price for 100% wool surplus blankets. If you shop around you can find them between $25.00 and $65.00 depending on a few factors.

I'd also suggest that people keep an eye out for sales events and scraps at fabric stores. I have a 5' x 12' piece of 13 oz (Medium Weight) 100% wool tartan that I got at a sale for $15.00/Yard. The normal price was something like $75.00 a yard. That one piece can cover several people in a pinch or can be doubled over.

Bonus: I can actually wear it as a traditional kilt during the Highlands Festival.  ;D
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:05:45 AM by Nicodemus »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:24:00 AM »
That's a pretty decent price for 100% wool surplus blankets. If you shop around you can find them between $25.00 and $65.00 depending on a few factors.

I'd also suggest that people keep an eye out for sales events and scraps at fabric stores. I have a 5' x 12' piece of 13 oz (Medium Weight) 100% wool tartan that I got at a sale for $15.00/Yard. The normal price was something like $75.00 a yard. That one piece can cover several people in a pinch or can be doubled over.

Bonus: I can actually wear it as a traditional kilt during the Highlands Festival.  ;D

oh please no..... not that...

i have some wool blankets from a surplus store also. really love those when camping.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 12:50:44 PM »
my God!  :o
having used 2 of them for 17 months while in the service, I will have to say it is somehow amusing to see them on sale.

I really hope they are in new condition, cos I happened to use one that was twice my age then (circa 1949).
What I can tell right now is that you gonna have the stinging of your lifetime!  :'(

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 12:56:08 PM »
What I can tell right now is that you gonna have the stinging of your lifetime!  :'(

'specially if Nico uses one as a kilt. (Hope he remembers his skivies!)

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 12:59:58 PM »
??W  bigelow, there will be some knided writting running down the middle. It wil besaying the service that owned it and date of manufacture.
I would be glad if you could decipher it.