Author Topic: Transcribing Ep 1039 and 1040 - I need your help  (Read 18403 times)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Just another day gardening in the heat of texas
    • Frozen Gardener
Transcribing Ep 1039 and 1040 - I need your help
« on: December 22, 2012, 02:31:51 PM »
Here is the deal....

Steve Harris did a super long episodes for 1039 and 1040 (total of 3hr 28min 22sec ). That is going to take me forever to transcribe myself. I did get my computer to "automaticly transcribe" Ep 1039, but it is only 80% accurate (see link bellow).  Ep 1040 will also go though the automatic transcriber, but that might take a week to get done.

I could really use your help getting these episodes transcribed. Even if you only do 30sec.

I think these episodes on "battery backup systems" are a great wealth of knowledge. If they were transcribed, we could do text searches on them. If we crowd source effort with even some of our 11,018 total TSP members, then 3hr 28min 22sec doesn't see to bad.

You could use this thread to declare what part of Ep 1039 you are going to do. Use the link the below to copy the 'Automated Transcription' part you are working on (to give you a head start). And post your completed part on this thread.

I encourage everyone to +1 (karma) any work done, I defiantly will be.

Ep 1039 (automation)
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jJPdL1i-4Exd8s8DmVJB97U3kr0owqqXRUztdPZ9FZ4/edit

Your TSP Transcriber,
-Hootie

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
Re: Transcribing Ep 1039 and 1040 - I need your help
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2013, 04:33:31 PM »
Got both episodes processed through Siri, but still need help finalizing the transcriptions.
Siri: Ep 1039
Siri: Ep 1040

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2013, 06:22:49 PM »
working on ep 1039

Time range:
6:35 - 7:58

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2013, 07:55:14 PM »
Remember I am giving +1 karma points to anyone who completes 30sec of transcription....
Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work here.
Plus I give you credit on the transcription!

Private Message me if you got questions.

Ep 1039
Done with time range: 6:35 - 7:58
Starting time range: 7:58- 8:56

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2013, 08:33:20 PM »
Remember I am giving +1 karma points to anyone who completes 30sec of transcription....
Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work here.

wow this is going quick...

Ep 1039
Done with time range: 6:35 - 8:56
Starting time range: 8:56 - 15:14

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »

Ep 1039
Done with time range: 8:56 - 15:14
Starting time range: 15:14 - 20:02

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2013, 04:26:11 PM »

Ep 1039
Done with time range: 15:14 - 20:02
Starting time range: 20:02-30:07

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2013, 09:06:54 PM »
30:07 to 35:07

<30:07

cells pretty much where the flooded acid batteries starts out so the biggest gel cell is close to the size of a small flooded lead acid battery. Also you find out these larger gel cells – or sealed lead acid batteries – are sometimes, they’re also called VRLA batteries.

<30:23

When they’re bigger, they will be 2 ½, 3 ½  times the price of a good, deep cycle marine battery. What you are finding in the market is that the gel cells used to have the bigger size. The bigger gel cells, the 100 ampere hour to 75 ampere hour gel cells, kinda like the one that might be in Jack’s oversized UPS. They’re being

<30:51

replaced by Absorbed Glass Matt batteries, or AGM batteries.

Jack Spirko: Yeah, on the AGM, that’s the third type of battery you said you were going to talk about. You said they’re the safest. And I don’t think we see a better example of this than I just did a feature on a guy that built a Kawasaki motorcycle into an electric motorcycle, runs up to 50 miles per hour. He’s got a range on it of about 30 miles and it uses three of the AGMs and the biggest reason he picked those was he could put them in there sideways or upside down and make them fit in the frame.

<31:20

Steven Harris: True true. In fact, AGM batteries were first invented go into fighter jets.

Jack Spirko: Okay. That would make, you gotta go upside-down in one of those.

Steven Harris: Upside-down, right side up lots of vibration, lots of abuse. AGMs can really take abuse really good. AGMs are fast, vastly taking over the market that the larger gels had. AGM batteries are sealed up as well. They can operate-upside down, right side up, underside, any position like a gel cell.

<31:52

but inside, they’re different. They have a fiberglass mat between lead oxide plates of the batteries and the acid is absorbed into the glass mat, thus AGM.  And it stays there. And the battery is sealed and nothing is going to leak out. These are the most acid safe batteries you’re going to get. If you have kids that might get into a Marine battery, which not likely,

<32:19

you gotta pop the top with a  screwdriver, or they might open the top of golf cart batteries, which is really easy, then you'll want to go with the AGM batteries. Again – you got kids, AGM. Also because nothing will be leak out of an AGM battery they can be shipped by UPS or anyone else with no hazmat, no hazardous material fees. I don't want to going into the chemistry of the batteries in this show and whether you have

<32:46

a lead acid battery with cadmium or antimony alloy plates, but the AGMs have a little better chemistry than the flooded lead acid batteries and of course by the very nature but also considered to be a deep cycle battery. So the AGM’s a little better chemistry and great for vibration, acid safe, but they’re going to be a little bit more expensive.

Jack Spirko: Yeah, now most things in life, the more features, benefits, and things you add to it, especially when they’re real, the higher the price goes.

<33:17

So how do they compare in price to lead acid?

Steven Harris: The AGM, well the AGMs are also lead acid batteries, okay. So AGM batteries compared to flooded lead acid batteries.

Jack Spirko: That’s what I meant.

Steven Harris: Like the Marine battery. Sorry I'm just one those exact people, Jack. Because boy, the listeners will pick up on it and they’ll email me “Did you mean to say that? Did you mean to say that?” so I got to be exact with you guys.

<33:43

The AGM batteries are about twice the price of a good one flooded acid Marine battery. So they’re significantly affordable, they’re only double the price, because a regular Marine battery is really pretty damn affordable. Have you seen those batteries with the round cylinders in them? You know, it’s not a square battery, it’s like six round cylinders? Those are made by a company called Optima, and they are one of the more famous lead acid AGM batteries. I do have them on the Battery1234 website and you can actually

<34:12

have Amazon ship them directly to your house store. You can also find Optima batteries on the shelf of Sam's Club but watch out they probably won't be the group 31 size which is the largest traditional side of the battery as the ones I have listed for Amazon. So you’ve got to be careful about the number of ampere hours you have in the battery. Again, I'm going to cover group size and ampere hours with you shortly. Odyssey is also an excellent manufacturer AGM batteries.

<34:41

Duracell has a very nice line of AGM batteries and they’re sold off the shelf at Sam's Club. As of December 2012 I've not seen any AGM batteries on the shelf Walmart disappointing but I'm sure they’ll show up. Duracell AGMs at Sam's Club are the best AGMs with the most energy at the lowest price. That's from the pricing I've done for you. I have a side note here, Jack, and mentioning

<35:07

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 08:50:17 AM »
30:07 to 35:07

wow!

thanks Moonfire!  I am only allowed to give +1 Karma per 30mins... but you should see it growing slowly :) I will add your work to the transcription once the previous piece gets done. I have loaded your work to the google doc (in green), so no one re-picks you work.

Thank you so much for the work!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 09:01:26 AM by Hootie »

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2013, 09:17:28 AM »
wow!

thanks Moonfire!  I am only allowed to give +1 Karma per 30mins... but you should see it growing slowly :) I will add your work to the transcription once the previous piece gets done. I have loaded your work to the google doc (in green), so no one re-picks you work.

Thank you so much for the work!

Oh pft, no need to go through that much trouble. I'm happy to help. The audio is so clear and easy to transcribe it goes by quickly; I'll probably knock out another chunk today. I still think you're crazy take on all the Steven Harris ones, but I know I'll find the finished transcriptions useful!

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 03:02:36 PM »
Would you like me to take out the middle time stamps in future ones, or leave them in?

<35:07 to 47:01>

<35:07

something regarding preparedness that I personally find is just amazing, especially since we just went through Hurricane Sandy. An optimized AGM battery weighs 60 pounds and if you're on an Amazon prime member they will ship that 60 pound battery to you overnight to your front door by UPS air overnight for a total shipping charge of four bucks. Overnight shipping.

Jack Spirko: If you want, say, two or more of them to make a battery bank with, your Prime membership just got paid for because I don’t know anybody out there, if you ever shipped something that’s sixty pounds even in regular freight, it ain’t cheap.

Steven Harris: Yep. Yep. That happens with, you can get things shipped to you by two-day for nothing, by one day for four dollars if you’re an Amazon prime member which cost $79 a year and that's an Amazon prime object you’re buying, which means it's actually an Amazon warehouse which means they warranty everything for 30 days. You can return anything for any reason for 30 days. So my point is I sent an email out three or four days before Hurricane Sandy hit and I warned everyone and it’s amazing to think that people who were not prepared, who did not have a battery, a battery charger or inverter or any other preparedness supply, they could order an inverter, a battery or two, and ordered them all off

<36:34

Amazon.com and UPS will deliver them the next day for four dollars per item and this is when everyone is at all your local store shelves raping and pillaging everything it’s all gone. Amazon and UPS will deliver it to you in a day. I just think that is just an amazing statement

Jack Spirko: You know, and I think that that begs a reiterance of something I try to tell people all the time: That everybody's worried about the end of the world as we know it,

<37:03

the apocalypse, a total economic collapse – and I’m not saying none of that stuff can never happen, we talk about it realistically here – but we always have to keep in mind disaster preparedness in order of probability and the less people that are going to be affected by a disaster the more likely you as an individual are to experience it and you're a heck of a lot more likely to find yourself in the eye of a coming storm than you are riding down the road fighting mad Max. And this is a prepared-

<37:32

I never really looked at it that way, Steve, that having that membership is like kind of, you know, if you realize you need something, being able to get it quick but not having to go out to get it, pretty cool.

Steven Harris: I think it is. Also Amazon.com sells food too.

Jack Spirko: That’s true!

Steven Harris:  I’m serious, it’s like Cosco. You can't buy one jar peanut butter, you got to buy a small case of six. But my mother is 74 years old now and she’s fine, she drives, she goes to the grocery store.

<38:01

But in the winter time when it's cold and everything else and she doesn't want to carry too much, I have all the stuff that she normally eats dropped off by UPS at her house from Amazon. So when she goes to the grocery store it’s just for butter and milk and eggs.

Jack Spirko: Now that is something very important for people to think about too. Because I hear people all the time, “I’ve got a grandmother, or whatever, that’s far away.” And that’s really not something I’ve really thought about. And I do order food there once in a while because there’s certain things-

<38:30

I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to buy oriental fish sauce in Hot Springs, Arkansas but it ain’t easy. Anyway, we’ll get back on the topic. But it’s a very good point, Steve.

Steven Harris: Okay. I just want to make a side point for you guys, I think it’s an amazing tool. Stuff can show up on day one or two before the storm hits. I want to recap what we talked about because it was kinda technical. There are three types of lead-acid batteries. One, there are flooded lead-acid batteries, which are our regular car,

<38:57

marine, and golf cart type batteries. These are the most affordable. Two, there are sealed lead-acid batteries, also called gel cells. They are more for backup power for small electronic systems and lights. Three, there absorbed glass matter, AGM batteries, that are the most acid safe batteries out there. If you have kids, you’ll be getting these and they are only about twice the price of a flooded lead-acid battery. And again,

<39:25

UPS will ship them to your door. So you are going to have to pick between one of these three batteries for what you are going to use for your personal battery bank. I think there is only really one - there is only an option for you to pick between the regular flooded battery and an AGM. And it comes down to will your kids get into the battery acid or won't they?

Jack Spirko: Fair enough. So you don’t think there's enough of a performance advantage in an AGM

<39:52

to make it worth the cost. It's more the safety issues, is that what you’re saying?

Steven Harris: I'm saying is a tremendous safety issue.

Jack Spirko: But it's not about performance, it’s about safety,

Steven Harris: Yeah, it's not about performance. The AGM, let's say, might be 10 to 25% better performance.

Jack Spirko:  I don't even worry about the safety, I can get 10 to 25% better performance into 100% better performance by increasing the size of my bank by a battery.

Steven Harris: You got it exactly.

Jack Spirko: There we go. I’m thinking money.

<40:22

So you mentioned a lot of stuff along the way here like group size, amp hour, depth of discharge, deep-cycle. What does all that stuff mean?

Steven Harris: Well it's like what came first, the chicken or the egg? I wanted to tell you about the chicken first, which is the batteries, before I got into the egg, which is the technical terms because I did not want to bore you at the start of the show. But I have to take a little moment to tell you these important terms so you can

<40:49

make the decision on what battery is best for you when you're standing at the store shelf at Walmart and wondering which one of these 50 batteries do I want to buy. You will know exactly which one you want to buy. So okay, as they say, size matters. Group size: There are actually group sizes from 21 to 98, if you want to be technical. And then there’s industrial and tractor

<41:16

batteries that are called 4Ds and 8Ds. But what you're going to find on the shelf at Walmart, AutoZone, Pep Boys, and Amazon are going to be either group size 24, 27, 29, or 31. So that's it, okay? Basically group size 24 is for a small car, 27 is for a midsize car or truck, and group size 29 and 31 are for really big trucks like diesel trucks.

<41:45

Except my pickup truck actually has two group 27s in them, so it's not written in stone.

<41:52

The group size actually refers to just the dimensions of the battery, its average length, width, height. So you know that is going to fit into the hole that is in your car that you’re going to put it in. If you're not going to put it into a hole your car, you want the biggest one you can get, which would be 29 to 31. If you are at Sam's Club or some place of a big selection of marine batteries that you're looking at then you're going to have to want byy the biggest one you can get,

<42:20

or the biggest one that won't give you a hernia. Those are either going to be group size 29 or 31. 31 is slightly bigger than 29, group size 29 is the largest group size I can find at Walmart. The orbital AGMs I have listed on Amazon are group sign 31. So if you can't find a group size 31, please get the group size 29. After all, the bigger battery does you no good if you can't get it.

<42:48

A smaller battery is better than no battery. If you can't tell, I think Sam's Club and Walmart are the two best places to buy a marine deep-cycle battery. But Sam's Club only has batteries at their stores in 24 of 50 states, according to their website, and thankfully that includes Alaska and Hawaii where it would be more expensive to ship a battery anyways. Your Sam's Club will have a battery for you. Well, when it comes to golf cart batteries,

<43:18

there are GC2, GC8, GC12, and the ones you want are GC2s. Now this is kinda funny. It’s GC2 because you need two of these 6 volt batteries to make 12 volts. GC8 is an 8 volt battery, which is no good for you, and GC12 is a single 12 volt golf cart battery.So a GC2 is because you need two of them to make 12 volts, that’s not because they’re 2 volts, which they aren’t.

<43:46

Jack Spirko: But yet a GC8 is 8 volts and a GC12 is 12 volts. That’s a genious that came up with that system. So now what about amp hour and reserve capacity, how do I know what these mean? And what the battery has the most energy capacity, et cetera because there's things that are really important and there’s things that are marketing. Like when you go out and buy your wireless modem it says it has 100 Mb capacity and your

<44:11

DSL connection has one and a half as though it really is important there. So what are we actually looking at here with what's important and what's really going to make a difference for people?

Steven Harris: This is a little tricky so listen carefully and actually I have this in the video, it’s a little more visual and illustrative.

<44:32

I think the only way to judge how much energy is in a battery is by ampere hours. Now what is an ampere hour? It's pretty close to this: I have a few numbers, listen carefully, they’re simple. If you have a 100 ampere hour battery, it will give you 10 amps for ten hours, ten times ten is 100, got it? It will give you 20 amps for five hours,

<44:58

20 times 5 is 100. It will give you 33 1/3 amps for 3 hours, and it will give you 50 amps for 2 hours.

<45:08

Now, it's close to this, but not exact because the less energy you pull from a battery, the more efficient it is at giving up those amperes to you. So your 10 Amp or 10 hours will really last a bit longer than 10 hours. And if you’re trying to pull 50 amps from the battery for two hours, you'll never make it because you’re pulling so much current that the battery becomes more inefficient. It just can’t dump that much energy without losing something in the process.

<45:40

It’s like pouring water from one bucket into another. Pour water very slowly and every drop goes from one bucket will go into the other bucket. Spill one bucket of water real quickly into another bucket and the water will splash all over the place and all the water will not make it into the bucket. It is the same with taking energy and putting energy into a battery. Technically this all has to do with internal resistance, surface area of the plates, and what lead is alloyed with and a bunch of other stuff.

<46:07

But I’m really trying to give you a rule of thumb and a very sound working knowledge of batteries. So just remember, ampere hour. 100 ampere hour means I can pull 10 amps for 10 hours, 20 amps for 5 hours, 5 amps for 20 hours, 1 amp for 100 hours. That is basically what an ampere hour is.

Jack Spirko: I think that’s great, and I think it’s good to just make it the simple rules of thumb because obviously

<46:34

when we’re building systems we want to overbuild a little bit. We don't want to be going thinking we’re going to actually get exactly that much before we need to something called recharge or provide some sort of other source of energy there. So I think that's the best way to make it easy for people and thanks for doing that. So let's move on to one more we see all the time: reserve capacity. I see reserve capacity listed on batteries all the time.  What's the deal with reserve capacity?

<47:01

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »

Ep 1039
Done with time range: 20:02-30:07
Starting time range:    1:00:18 - 1:10:06

Would you like me to take out the middle time stamps in future ones, or leave them in?
<35:07 to 47:01>

Wow... 12mins, great job! you are putting me to shame :) keep doing it!
you can take out the middle time stamps if you want. whatever is easier, but i can also take them out when i copy it back to the google doc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:47:12 PM by Hootie »

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2013, 08:56:44 PM »

Ep 1039
Done with time range: 1:00:18 - 1:10:06
Starting time range:    47:01 - 59:51

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2013, 09:14:51 PM »
Ep 1039

Don't do 47:01 - 51:46, I did it already! Sorry for not posting, after the last two I wanted to get a bigger time chunk done before doing so.

<47:01 - 51:46>

Steven Harris: Yeah, reserve capacity, or RC, will show up most on batteries, More times than you’ll see AH or ampere hours. Many times the batteries won't have ampere hours on it and this is disappointing because someone in the industry decided to try to make this whole thing easy for people so they would know what battery was bigger and what battery was better and all he did was screw the whole thing up royally. The idea was you have a marine deep cycle battery for your boat and your electric trolling motor. And trolling motor will only draw about 25 amps on average. So they wanted to tell the person looking at the battery in the store how long the battery would last in their trolling motor. So they would say the reserve capacity is 180 minutes. So the trolling motor will run for 180 minutes, that's three hours’ operation. That’s not bad, I can understand that, that makes sense. Now you think this would be really good, and you’re looking at the shelf and one battery says 180 minutes and one says 210 minutes, you’d know which one would last longer. But different companies doing the marketing are screwing everything up, and you know how it is all about a numbers game. In the battery video I give you a real world example, I'll give it to you here. I have two huge golf cart batteries tied together and they have a reserve capacity of, get this, of 120. Then I have a single marine battery, nowhere near the size of the two huge golf cart batteries, and it’s not 120, it's 210 minutes.

Jack Spirko: So it’s all about where the variable comes from.

Steven Harris: That’s right. So the big batteries are 120 minutes and the smaller battery’s 210, this does not make sense at all. It's because the golf cart battery use a current draw of not 25 but 75 amps to do their calculation for reserve capacity and the marine battery uses the standard 25 amps. So the golf cart batteries will last for 120 minutes if you only draw 75 amps from them, and the marine batteries will last almost double that, 210 minutes when you draw only 25 from it. But the golf cart battery very clearly says on the label that the reserve capacity is 120 minutes at 75 amps. So it clearly says 75.

Jack Spirko: The numbers are there, and to be fair, the marketing widgetheads, if you’re buying a golf cart battery for the average golf cart, the number’s valid. If you're buying a marine battery for the average trolling motor, the number’s valid. But when you're doing things like we are and you change the variable, it's not apples to apples at all.

Steven Harris: No, no. And if the battery label does not say how many amps it is, you can assume it to be 25.

Jack Spirko: Okay.

Steven Harris: So this is for reserve capacity in minutes, or RC. So as I show you in the video, you take the minutes and you multiply it by the amps, and then you always divide by 60, and that gives you the ampere hours. So amps times minutes divided by 60, got it? So if you do that with 120 minutes at 75 amps and 210 minutes at 25 amps, you get the golf cart batteries to be 150 ampere hours, tada! And you get the single marine battery at only 88 ampere hours. So now the truth shines through, but the math looks better in the video.

Jack Spirko:  Now you’ve shown us how big the difference between one big battery is than another. How much can I get from the battery? You’ve mentioned the depth of discharge. And what is actually a deep cycle battery?

Steven Harris: Okay. Depth of discharge is another subject with a few numbers that I’m going to make easy for you. If you have a battery that is fully charged, we’ll call that 100% charged. If you use half the energy from the battery, we’ll call that 50%. If you use 70% of the battery, that'll take you down to 30. If you use 80, it’s going to take you down to 20. Got it? Everything adds up to 100. So an 80% depth of discharge means there’s only

<51:18

20% of the energy left in the battery. This would be like using 10 amps from a 100 ampere hour battery for eight hours. Eight hours times 10 amps is 80 ampere hours. The 100 ampere hour battery, so it’s down to 20% left. When you go from 100 down the 40%, or down to 30, or down the 20, that is called deep cycling your battery because you're drawing down deep

<51:46

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2013, 09:24:20 PM »
:)  Dang your fast

I'll pick a new range tomorrow.

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 09:26:04 PM »
:)  Dang your fast

I'll pick a new range tomorrow.

Quite the opposite, that chuck has been sitting in a text doc for a few days. Sorry about that, you're welcome to do the rest in that chunk. I just wanted to give you a head start.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2013, 10:55:28 PM »
Naw, you finish it. There is plenty more to pick from ;)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2013, 08:06:49 AM »
Ep 1039

Picking a new range
Starting time range: 1:10:06 - 1:20:04

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2013, 09:17:31 AM »
Done with time range: 1:10:06 - 1:20:04
Starting time range:    1:20:04 - 1:29:56

If you get a chance +1 [Great Post] Moonfire 
 :clap:    for transcribing 22min of audio      :clap:

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2013, 07:07:26 AM »
currently it takes me about 8min to transcribe 1min of audio... that means in 4mins you could get some more karma!

Done with time range: 1:20:04 - 1:29:56
Starting time range:    1:29:56 - 1:34:14

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 10:35:22 PM »
Done with time range: 1:29:56 - 1:34:14
Starting time range:    58:13 - 1:00:18

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 09:38:33 PM »
I am giving +1 karma points to anyone who completes 30sec of transcription....
Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work on this thread.

Done with time range:             58:13 - 1:00:18
Starting time range:    Ep 140    5:22 -    15:21

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2013, 10:32:55 PM »

Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work on this thread.Plus I give you credit on the transcription!Private Message me if you got questions.

Ep 140
Done with time range:             5:22 - 15:21
Starting time range:               15:21 - 25:16

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2013, 09:26:10 AM »

Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work on this thread. Plus I give you credit on the transcription! Private Message me if you got questions.

Ep 140
Done with time range:            15:21 - 25:16
Starting time range:               25:16 - 35:30

Offline Welshrats

• Prepper
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 08:34:29 PM »
Not much but maybe this will help a little

<1:38:30

Jack asked me if I could make a video that showed all the little details on how to do it step-by-step because this is an audio audience and this project needs a little visual assistance so I did this. The videos are over four hours long so far.  I've been working on them every day for five weeks. If you watch the video I guarantee you will be standing in front of 50 different types of batteries at Wal-Mart and you won't have one question in your mind you’ll know exactly which one you want.

<1:39:00

You'll know how to read them and you'll point to that group 29 deep cycle marine battery and you'll tell the clerk ”I want that one”. You'll see me hook up all the home battery banks from the small DC one where you’re only using DC all the way up to the one with two golf cart batteries and the 55 amp charger in a 1600 watt inverter and everything. You'll see me do the 120 watt inverter as well. You'll see, like I said, I do everything step-by-step from the smallest to the biggest for you.

<1:39:30

You will see me build the battery box in the back of the pickup truck from 100% bare empty box all the way up to everything I describe. I mean, I show you how I put in each piece of wood. It’s not just go, I go, “okay now you put a wooden box around the battery.”  I show you how I built the box, OK? I don't leave that up to your imagination. You can have all this wisdom for less than 10 bucks an hour. Heck, even McDonald's pays more than that. The price for the videos is $34.95 as I mentioned but just

<1:40:00

for all of you TSP people during the month of December 2012 you can come and have all three of the battery videos plus I’ll throw in my famous bread from gasoline video and for a grand total of $24.95. For $24.95 you will get instant access to the video you'll get your own little access code and a link and you can go to the website you can watch that video in 720 HD right now no downloading needed.

<1:40:30

It’s an HD video and by time you hear this I might even have it up in 1080 HD video. I use HD photographs and video for everything I did. You will be able to download the video to your computer if you so desire it so you can watch it without a connection to Internet. You can watch it as many times as you desire there is no limit. You can buy the video right now at www.battery 1234.com. That is <spells> BATTERY dot, sorry <laughs> BATTERY1234.COM

<1:41:00

These two TSP shows will be up on battery1234.com. They’ll be available for instant streaming, no charge, no nothing, no sign-up. You just tap on them and they’ll play on your smartphone or computer. So please send your friends over. This show and all my past shows as always are listed on solar1234.com <spells> SOLAR1234.COM

<1:41:30

That's my radio show website. Thanks to all of you and thanks to Jack Spirko and his graciousness for allowing me the privilege of talking to all of you that sight has grown a lot which is why I made battery1234 just for this one big subject. Every single item or tool I have talked about in this show and in every other show is 100% Steven Harris approved that means I bought it, I’ve

<1:42:00

used it, I've beat it up, I love it, I've had it for months or for years and all of those items are listed, um ,all those items are listed for up on solar1234.com you can go there you can see the pictures of them, you can click on the link and get them from Amazon. You can do whatever you so desire it does not matter to me. All of the new stuff for the battery show is listed on battery1234

<1:42:30

OK, so all the past shows solar1234, the battery show is on battery, sorry, I did it again sorry, I’ve been talking for three hours. All the past shows are on solar1234.com all of the battery stuff for the battery show is on battery1234.com. Look at the photos buy it from Wal-Mart you can click on it and buy it right from Amazon, you can get it at RadioShack. I tell you in my text descriptions where you can get it everywhere OK? You are not forced to use my link.

<1:43:00

Also on battery1234 and solar1234 you can sign up for my email list it's a big blue button I don't even send out email once a week and I should be sending you an email once a week so you don't get that much for me but if you want to sign up. From that you’ll get my latest stuff I'm doing and if I have anything to offer etc. Also separately I have gotten a lot of emails from you guys who really love the stuff and you wanted to help so I'm

<1:43:30

giving you a way to help. Separately you'll see if you really want to you can sign up for what's called Steve's power circle. It's just a small email list of people who can help me with different things. Sometimes I want to bounce stuff off you. What you think of this video snippet? Did I explain the idea good enough to you? Do I need to change it? What you think of this idea? How much should I price this for? You can help me with some Facebook posts or some tweets its small stuff like that but you get to see the stuff first
<1:44:00

and you get it for free so if you really want to, you know, help me a little bit you can go do that. Also, do you have some questions? Right now are you listening to this you got some questions for me you're yelling at your iPod “Steve I got this question.” You can ask me those questions live tonight I will be on Zello tonight that is <spells> ZELL, <starts again> ZELLOO.com and it’s on your iPhone, Android, PC, and Mac.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2013, 06:22:10 PM »
Not much but maybe this will help a little

Wow 6mins, that is really impressive. Thanks for the great work. I see Karma in your future ;)

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 11:41:58 AM »

Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work on this thread. Plus I give you credit on the transcription! Private Message me if you got questions.

Ep 140
Done with time range:            25:16 - 35:30
Starting time range:               35:30 - 45:30

Offline Moonfire

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2013, 08:20:41 PM »
Sorry this took forever!

<47:01 to 58:13>

Steven Harris: Yeah, reserve capacity, or RC, will show up most on batteries, More times than you’ll see AH or ampere hours. Many times the batteries won't have ampere hours on it and this is disappointing because someone in the industry decided to try to make this whole thing easy for people so they would know what battery was bigger and what battery was better and all he did was screw the whole thing up royally. The idea was you have a marine deep cycle battery for your boat and your electric trolling motor. And trolling motor will only draw about 25 amps on average. So they wanted to tell the person looking at the battery in the store how long the battery would last in their trolling motor. So they would say the reserve capacity is 180 minutes. So the trolling motor will run for 180 minutes, that's three hours’ operation. That’s not bad, I can understand that, that makes sense. Now you think this would be really good, and you’re looking at the shelf and one battery says 180 minutes and one says 210 minutes, you’d know which one would last longer. But different companies doing the marketing are screwing everything up, and you know how it is all about a numbers game. In the battery video I give you a real world example, I'll give it to you here. I have two huge golf cart batteries tied together and they have a reserve capacity of, get this, of 120. Then I have a single marine battery, nowhere near the size of the two huge golf cart batteries, and it’s not 120, it's 210 minutes.

Jack Spirko: So it’s all about where the variable comes from.

Steven Harris: That’s right. So the big batteries are 120 minutes and the smaller battery’s 210, this does not make sense at all. It's because the golf cart battery use a current draw of not 25 but 75 amps to do their calculation for reserve capacity and the marine battery uses the standard 25 amps. So the golf cart batteries will last for 120 minutes if you only draw 75 amps from them, and the marine batteries will last almost double that, 210 minutes when you draw only 25 from it. But the golf cart battery very clearly says on the label that the reserve capacity is 120 minutes at 75 amps. So it clearly says 75.

Jack Spirko: The numbers are there, and to be fair, the marketing widgetheads, if you’re buying a golf cart battery for the average golf cart, the number’s valid. If you're buying a marine battery for the average trolling motor, the number’s valid. But when you're doing things like we are and you change the variable, it's not apples to apples at all.

Steven Harris: No, no. And if the battery label does not say how many amps it is, you can assume it to be 25.

Jack Spirko: Okay.

Steven Harris: So this is for reserve capacity in minutes, or RC. So as I show you in the video, you take the minutes and you multiply it by the amps, and then you always divide by 60, and that gives you the ampere hours. So amps times minutes divided by 60, got it? So if you do that with 120 minutes at 75 amps and 210 minutes at 25 amps, you get the golf cart batteries to be 150 ampere hours, tada! And you get the single marine battery at only 88 ampere hours. So now the truth shines through, but the math looks better in the video.

Jack Spirko:  Now you’ve shown us how big the difference between one big battery is than another. How much can I get from the battery? You’ve mentioned the depth of discharge. And what is actually a deep cycle battery?

Steven Harris: Okay. Depth of discharge is another subject with a few numbers that I’m going to make easy for you. If you have a battery that is fully charged, we’ll call that 100% charged. If you use half the energy from the battery, we’ll call that 50%. If you use 70% of the battery, that'll take you down to 30. If you use 80, it’s going to take you down to 20. Got it? Everything adds up to 100. So an 80% depth of discharge means there’s only 20% of the energy left in the battery. This would be like using 10 amps from a 100 ampere hour battery for eight hours. Eight hours times 10 amps is 80 ampere hours. The 100 ampere hour battery, so it’s down to 20% left. When you go from 100 down the 40%, or down to 30, or down the 20, that is called deep cycling your battery because you're drawing down deep

<51:46

into the charge. And a deep cycle battery can do this more times than a non-deep cycling battery. Er, marine batteries and deep cycles are pretty much synonymous, you can interchange the two. Okay? It's just labeling. Do you know what kills a battery, what damages it? Using it. Every time your battery is not at 100% charged and you use it, you are doing some damage to the battery

<52:15

that you are never ever going to reverse. Every day your battery is not on a good charger, and we’ll get to those, and being maintained, is a day that it is losing some of its own energy. It's called self-discharge. The battery will sit there and actually lose its energy slowly, like 3 to 5% per month for a lead acid battery. It’s like having a big tank of water with a small hole drilled the bottom of it. It’s leaking a small amount of water, or energy every day,

<52:45

and the level is getting lower and lower. Every day that your battery is not 100% all the way full and kept all the way full is a day that a very small amount of damage is being done to the battery. So even charging up a lead acid battery and putting it into the closet is doing very small amounts to the battery every day because of that little hole in the water tank. It's losing something every day when it’s not fully charged and a small amount of damage is occurring.

<53:15

That is why we keep a real charger, I’ll talk about those, on the battery, all the time until the power fails when you need to use it. Now this is a simplification of the process but you can use this as a rule of thumb. The question is how much damage are you doing and how many times can you do this discharge, okay? Well if you could do that discharge a thousand times, you really don't think of your batteries being damaged, you think of your batteries as being used.

<53:44

So I'm kind of playing with words little bit here to make the point razor sharp for you. Okay, let's be really harmful to the battery. Let's be as mean as we can. Let’s do the most damage we can to the battery. Let's get a battery, take it from 100% all the way down to zero. The inverter has a low-voltage alarm and it's screaming at you and it’s about to shut off. If you put a light bulb directly on the battery it’d be

<54:14

very, very dim, just barely lighting up. You’ve taken this battery as far down as it can, it’s zero. Then you put a charger on it to make it a happy battery, and you bring it back fully up to 100%. I'll talk on the subject later, but I hate trickle chargers for a lot of reasons but one of them is you can never bring a battery from zero all it back up, it usually can’t get the battery off zero. So now we've taken

<54:42

our battery back up to 100%, life is happy. And now we slam it all the way back down to zero again, rock bottom dead. And then we put the charger on it and bring it all the way back up. Now if this was a car battery, like a regular battery in your car used for starting the car, you could do this 100% depth of discharge down to zero only about 12 or 15 times before the battery is absolutely dead, dead, dead. It would not respond or give

<55:12

you any energy. So okay, 10 to 15 times for a car battery. A deep cycle battery will do this 150 to 200 times. That's over 10 times the lifecycle of a car battery, and this is when you're being the most harsh. You're being the most harsh to it and it will still do this 150 to 200 times. Does that make you feel a lot better knowing that you can take a deep cycle down to zero

<55:40

and back up to 100% about 150, 200 times? That’d be a lot of use in a disaster, wouldn’t it? So we're talking 100 down to zero about 200 times, remember that.

Jack Spirko:  And we shouldn't be going and doing that.

Steven Harris: You shouldn't, but you know what? It's there for you to do it.

Jack Spirko: You might have to.

Steven Harris: If you have to, you do it. If you have to, you use it. So remember what I said: Deep cycle, down and back up 200 times.

<56:09

If you went from 100 down to 50 and then back to 100, you could do this not 200 but 500 times. If you only went down to 70 and then back up to 100 you could do this over 1000 times. So my point is when you really draw a battery down past 50% depth of discharge you're really doing a lot of damage to it compared to when you only bring it down to 70 or 50%. But you know what? If it’s is a disaster, an emergency

<56:39

that's what it's there for. It’s to be used and abused if you must. Because it's more important for your iPhone to be charged up and for you to be able to make and receive phone calls than it is for your deep cycle battery to have 100 more cycles of zero to 100 life in it. And by the way, just a typical fun number for you. If a typical marine battery will charge an iPhone from zero to 100 over 200 times.

<57:07

So if your marine battery could go from 100 to zero 200 times, that means over the life of the marine battery it could charge your iPhone 40,000 times. Now how's that for a number?

Jack Spirko: That’s a good number. I don't think your iPhone can be charged 40,000 times before the ghost of Steve Jobs makes it obsolete.

Steven Harris: Yeah, actually the iPhones can take a charge about a thousand times. But the same thing applies for your iPhone lithium-ion battery as it does for the lead-acids, kind-of.

<57:37

Now remember we said that automotive starting battery could only go from 100 to zero about 15 times. That’s why it's important when you have an inverter on your car battery and you’re lighting your house, or drawing more energy and powering your refrigerator and freezer, that you keep the car at idol while you're doing this so it's supplying as much power from the car alternator rather than from car battery. That's why I want you to idle your car when you’re doing anything big. For those of you who are new here in you really like the idea of running a battery bank at home and

<58:13

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2013, 08:12:34 AM »
Sorry this took forever!

<47:01 to 58:13>

Wow!!!  11min (well 8min from last time, but still... that is awesome) Thanks for the big effort. I know transcribing sounds easy but eats up a lot of free time.

That means 1039 is completed!  We are more then half way there. Just need to get Ep 1040 (part2) processed.

Offline Hootie

• Written Word Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • Frozen Gardener
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
Ep 140
Done with time range:            35:30 - 45:30
Starting time range:               45:30 - 55:30

as always:

Pick from any Red section (unfinished) you want, from here. Post your completed work on this thread. Plus I give you credit on the transcription! Private Message me if you have questions.