Author Topic: A pistol can be effective even when it stays in the holster  (Read 3348 times)

Offline riptide

• Prepper
  • Mutton-Labe!
A pistol can be effective even when it stays in the holster
« on: January 24, 2013, 11:04:19 PM »
This happened years ago before my wife and I were married when we were out for a day of hiking at one of our favorite places. The approach required parking my old beater of a car and walking up an old dirt road previously used to access some played out coal mines. This road was part of an area commonly used by four wheelers and dirt bikes. Even when the weather had been dry the road was usually muddy because it followed the edge of what we called a large creek (most European rivers are smaller). It was not at all uncommon to need to stand aside for these guys to go past so they wouldn't get stuck or throw mud up on you. On this late Spring day I had belted on my stainless 45 (I was an early Cooper fan) and pulled on a jacket simply because it was a cool morning.

About half way in we were passed by four guys on bikes and we simply stood aside and then continued on. I thought it odd when two of them passed us going back the other way not five minutes later, but whatever. We continued up the road and came to a small clearing where the embankment pulled back from the road but got much steeper and at the other end were the other two guys on the bikes. We continued on across, but stopped when it was clear they weren't going to give way.  Next the two dirt bikes that had gone back past us showed up and cut off our line of retreat back out. My mental alarm bells started going off. Four of them and two of us and I did not like the way they were eyeing us either, the whole dynamic felt like a trap. My wife could not have gotten up that embankment and neither of us could have gotten across that hard running creek. I pushed her off to the side and handed her the lunch bag so I could take off my jacket, pretending the day had gotten warmer. I then turned and adjusted my bootlaces putting my bright stainless pistol on display there on my right hip. The four of them suddenly seemed to loose interest and they all headed back up the road in the direction they were first going in. Half a mile later when we got to the trail head my wife asked me what was going on with those motorcycle guys. Uggg.

I could not prove they had threatened us nor could they prove I had threatened them. Perhaps they had no more in mind than harassment of the skinny guy and his girlfriend, or maybe they had something else in mind. This was the only time I have ever even needed to even display the fact I was armed. I am a big fan of concealed carry and open carry along with it. I have had government sanction to do so for many years now, but  that was not an option in that state at that time.

Lessons learned? Be aware of your surroundings. Not all communication is verbal. Don't assume your wife or girlfriend is aware of the situation.

Riptide

nelson96

Re: A pistol can be effective even when it stays in the holster
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 11:19:55 PM »
Agreed.

Maybe it's just me, but I also have noticed that I am more cautious of people and more aware of my surroundings when I carry versus when I'm not.  It would seem it should be the other way around but when I carry I act differently.  I guess it must be because I feel I must be more responsible when I carry. . .  Is that weird?

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 03:05:29 AM »
Another story where no shots were fired, no guns were brandished, no "gun violence" committed, and yet a firearm proved to be an effective deterrent.   I have a similar parking lot story, where I casually rested my hand on  my belt under my shirt, and looked hard at the group of young men.  They also lost interest and went away.   Like you, I can't prove or disprove they meant to do me (and my kids harm), but it sure felt wrong at the time.

Offline PrepperJim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Prepping Means Resiliency and Redundancy
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:40:32 AM »
Agreed.

Maybe it's just me, but I also have noticed that I am more cautious of people and more aware of my surroundings when I carry versus when I'm not.  It would seem it should be the other way around but when I carry I act differently.  I guess it must be because I feel I must be more responsible when I carry. . .  Is that weird?

Since I have been carrying, I feel the same way. I have to be more aware of what is going on around me and be more responsible. I am constantly thinking what would happen if I lose control of the gun or it gets stolen from my vehicle when I am forced to leave it there during work..(of course, I have a car safe).

At the same time, I constantly guard against the mentality that I can go to dangerous places just because I am strapped. Recently, I went to gun shop in a not-so-nice part of Houston. I was carrying, but there is no way in hell I would go there after dark or unnecessarily loiter after getting my business done. In fact, I am not sure I will be going back there even if I needed to score some more mags or ammo.

Offline bettertohaveit

• Prepper
    • Better To Have It
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 12:39:14 PM »
Agreed.

I drive my family nuts with all my looking around and insisting that I face the door when eating out, etc...

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 03:01:05 PM »
If your mindset does not change when you strap on a loaded weapon, you need to set the gun down and evaluate your situation.

I also think that the confidence being armed gives you discourages issues. One reason I like pocket carry - being able to reach into your pocket and get a grip on your gun allows you to give unsavory characters a very direct "I'm not prey" stare. Most times, that alone will indicate they need to seek easier targets.

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 03:06:30 PM »
Agreed.

Not weird.  Same here.

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 03:42:00 PM »
I've often wondered if a stainless/easy to see gun is a good thing compared to a black/lower profile for a conceal piece.

Offline riptide

• Prepper
  • Mutton-Labe!
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 04:53:15 PM »
I've often wondered if a stainless/easy to see gun is a good thing compared to a black/lower profile for a conceal piece.

I like tough finishes and stainless was as good as it got back in the day. If I could just get Glock to refinish my 45! For me whichever gun is on my hip, it is always under a jacket or a loose heavy shirt. I figure they will see it if I need for them to see it. I live in the only city I know of the requires head of household to be armed, so we have less crime than the rest of the metropolitan area.

riptide

Offline ag2

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Been fishin' lately?
    • My Startup Challenge
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 08:07:09 PM »
I like tough finishes and stainless was as good as it got back in the day. If I could just get Glock to refinish my 45! .....

This company can refinish anything.  They have done Glocks.
http://www.ironridgeguns.com/coatings/