Author Topic: ? For you DIY greenhouse folks  (Read 1667 times)

Offline Smalls

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
? For you DIY greenhouse folks
« on: September 23, 2014, 06:41:38 PM »
I'm in zone 7a in Virginia and am researching DIY greenhouses to put in this fall. I've got two banana trees that I'm going to be nursing through the winter months and was wondering how warm your greenhouses normally stay in below freezing temperatures on sunny days and what cheap heat sources you may use. Was thinking about a Rocket Stove Mass Heater, Paul Wheaton style, to keep it nice and cozy. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Offline SelcSilverhand

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: ? For you DIY greenhouse folks
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 10:48:11 AM »
I'm repairing an old greenhouse and one of the things I came across from the previous owner was a series of large black barrels filled with water. They heat up from the sunlight and radiate back out during the night. I've heard of using large stones painted black the same way. They also used a large earth berm piled high around the outside walls to use some heat from the earth. The inside walls were painted white to reflect light back to the plants.

I took a hydroponics course from Univ of Florida's extension center and one of the things they taught us was that the leaves of a plant can be in freezing weather and live as long as you keep the roots warm. One of the things I plan to try is use some very long heavy duty hoses I salvaged to create loops for radiant heat underneath my grow beds. With something like that I could create a solar water heater to warm the water or use an old hot water heater, couple that with a water pump (or allow passive water movement from the thermal differences). I haven't built any of this so I can't say how well it works, but it sounded good in my head =P Hopefully I'll know next year when I finish!

Another option that I have seen is using this thin clear plastic material (think painters drop cloth) that is shaped like duct work. You attach that to a furnace or heat source that blows hot air, run it down your plants, then punch holes in it where each plant is. The hot air blows out right at the plant and reduces some of the heat costs of trying to heat an entire building instead of locally at the plant.

Offline Smalls

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 06:03:51 PM »
I appreciate the tips. One thing that was suggested on another board to me was to use Christmas lights and wrap them around whatever I was particularly concerned of on cold nights. I have almost all but scratched my original drawing of a hoop house and am now leaning heavily towards a more salt box design built in to my hillside, using the thermal mass of the hillside combined with piped heat from a rocket mass stove to keep the roots warmer than the air temps. It also gives me more head room and vent options.

Offline SelcSilverhand

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2014, 07:47:44 AM »
http://permaculturenews.org/2014/10/18/canadian-rocket-stove-powered-greenhouse/

Here is a video article that sounds like it might be along the lines of what you're wanting.

Offline Smalls

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 07:39:08 PM »
http://permaculturenews.org/2014/10/18/canadian-rocket-stove-powered-greenhouse/

Here is a video article that sounds like it might be along the lines of what you're wanting.

I ran across this one and the video Geoff Lawton just put out as well. Confirms what I was leaning heavily towards.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 08:00:24 PM »
I would do a greenhouse within a greenhouse in that area.

Cedar
"Do not breathe simply to exist."

"Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard

"A person who works with his hands is a laborer, A person who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman, A person who works with his hands, his head and his heart is an artist."