Author Topic: 1% lumber tax (in California)  (Read 4718 times)

Offline Kayakmom

• Prepper
  • Happy to be here.
1% lumber tax (in California)
« on: January 31, 2013, 09:52:49 AM »
New 1% over and above sales tax on all lumber in California.  Trying to punish the DIYers and homesteaders? Is it happening already?

and before everyone starts telling me anyone who lives in CA is stupid for doing it- I KNOW- already planning my escape to TX.

Just wanted to let y'all know.  So those of you who don't live here, can feel good about your intelligent decision!!!

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: 1% lumber tax (in California)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2013, 11:22:43 AM »
I don't think that it's an attack on DIYers and homesteaders.  I do think it's a money grab.  After all, you aren't going to buy lumber out of state and bring it in.

If you need lumber, you go get it.  There isn't much of a choice.

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2013, 02:29:10 PM »
They (Suckrament legislators) are betting on the building industry coming back in Kalifornia.  There are several large new housing projects in the works. 

nkawtg

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2013, 02:34:11 PM »
I hope you make it to Texas soon KayakMom.

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2013, 02:45:23 PM »
Leave as fast as you can.  Limit your tax liability to the franchise tax board for 2013.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »
California is trying to find as many areas it can impose taxes or raise taxes as it can get away with.  Obviously the slack housing market has less political clout than say public employee unions.  Look for a lot more concrete construction, if there is any new construction going on. Perhaps more DIY sawmills or 80% lumber?!!!! You know, like 80% finished lowers.  You buy "logs" that are semi trimmed down and marked for final cutting to lumber size.  ;D

My brother lives in CA so he gets and earful of Stupid California whenever we chat.  Really, can a state work any harder at driving out productive people and welcoming those with no loyalty and who will ship a good portion of their money south, out of state?  How's that all working fer ya?

Offline AaronInAK

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »
Time to switch to metal studs?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 07:00:09 AM »
y'all are missing the point.  it is not to collect more taxes.  it is about punishing the people who would dare to damage mother earth by cutting down trees for their own selfish purposes - like shelter.  This is all about protecting the environment folks.

/sarcasm off (but only kind of)

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 04:01:32 PM »
I've raised a family and provided for them working in the forest froducts industry for over 20 years.
It's been a hard friggin' life, but it was the path I chose. For those who don't know, I maintain the bandsaws, bandmills, and related equipment that provides white pine lumber to a lot of homeowners and home builders. www.hancocklumber.com
We are attacked at every turn by a never ending stream of idealistic morons. I once had a protester yell in my face that (and I quote) "trees are people too". :o

My advice, don't rationale the stupidity. Take it for what it is, STUPIDITY. The 1%tax thing is just the price you pay for living in "moron-ville"
VOTE WITH YOUR FEET!! ;)

Offline Kayakmom

• Prepper
  • Happy to be here.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 02:17:51 PM »
I've just had an offer accepted on land outside of Athens, TX. :D  So keeping my fingers crossed! I can't get out of this ridiculous state fast enough!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 02:55:12 PM »
I've just had an offer accepted on land outside of Athens, TX. :D ...
Great area! Congratulations.

Just remember, we don't give a damn how they did it in Kalifornia.  ;)

Offline Kayakmom

• Prepper
  • Happy to be here.
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 03:34:51 PM »
Great area! Congratulations.

Just remember, we don't give a damn how they did it in Kalifornia.  ;)

That's why I'm moving there.  If ya'll did, I wouldn't want to be there. 
BTW I'm originally from North Dakota so I'm pretty sure "that's not the way they do it in CA" wouldn't ever come out of my mouth!

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »
I've just had an offer accepted on land outside of Athens, TX. :D  So keeping my fingers crossed! I can't get out of this ridiculous state fast enough!
congrats

Offline Tyronedeblanco

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2013, 05:27:21 PM »

Grats, hope to be joining you all down there in the next 1-2 years....hopefully sooner.

Offline FoolishCop

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
CA Adds New Lumber Tax
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2013, 10:50:44 AM »
In an early Survival Podcast Jack mentions it might behoove us to also stock up on materials we might need in the future, including lumber, tarps, rope, etc. Just like finding food in an economic collapse, building our safe haven might not be so easy as going to the Home Depot or Lowes.

However I just came across a notice wherein California once again is sticking it to its residents (the state really doesn't want people living there does it?). As of Jan. 1, "Retailers of lumber products or engineered wood products will be required to charge and collect the lumber products assessment on their sales to consumers in California and report and pay the amounts collected to the State Board of Equalization (BOE)." The "assessment," (i.e., tax) "is imposed on the purchaser of lumber products or engineered wood products for storage, use, or other consumption in this state." (emphasis added)

http://www.boe.ca.gov/sutax/lpa-faq.htm

You gotta love a state that is working so hard to bring Jack's "Walking to Freedom" effort to fruition. I wonder though if you could prove that you were buying the wood for storage out of state whether you could escape the tax!

Rich

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2013, 02:54:59 PM »
y'all are missing the point.  it is not to collect more taxes.  it is about punishing the people who would dare to damage mother earth by cutting down trees for their own selfish purposes - like shelter.  This is all about protecting the environment folks.

/sarcasm off (but only kind of)
Not far off the mark.

Actually this is one of my greatest fears of what could be inflicted upon land owners. Drones can be easily used to take inventory of wooded lots/land. Tax/punish landowner for cutting timber as a "global resource". That pretty much destroys the off-grid capabilities of anyone who uses wood to heat or cook.  Reading the millennium goals of the UN is worse than watching a horror movie. We just keep being "nugged" along to the behavior THEY want.