Author Topic: Local (Tampa) Help Setting Up EMCOMM Box  (Read 4180 times)

Offline AEuropa

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Rule #1: Cardio - CrossFit Barbarian Fitness
Local (Tampa) Help Setting Up EMCOMM Box
« on: February 02, 2013, 07:01:18 PM »
Hi all! I am in the final stages of setting up my EMCOMM box and am hoping to get some local (Tampa Area) help with the setup and wiring to ensure that I don't make any magic smoke. I'm more than happy to travel to meet someone to help with with this project, but obviously Central FL would make things much more simple.

The purpose of this box will be for EMCOMM (obviously), but it will also fill the role of my Base Station.

Here is what I have to put in a SPUD7 box:
- Alinco DM-330MVT
- FT-857D
- LDG Z11Pro2 Tuner
- Super PWRgate PG40S
- MFJ-4416B Booster
- AGM 12v 7.5Ah Battery
- External Speaker
- Computer Fan (I'm not sure if I'm going to add one of these)

Once this project is complete, then I will be putting together a portable Battery Box that I would like to be able to plug and play with this kit...but that's a discussion for a separate thread.

For antennas I have a Buddipole for HF and a SlimJim for 2m/70cm.

Also, I have read ALL of the threads in the ARFCOM EMCOMM thread (http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b ... 273&page=1), they were great for giving me ideas, but not really helpful for the final stage of this project.

Thanks and 73,
- Alex

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Local (Tampa) Help Setting Up EMCOMM Box
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2013, 01:41:24 PM »
I'm in SC so Obliviously I'm NO Help-sry...but a few thoughts...

I initially planned to put the battery (or a battery) in my Spud7 too, then after fooling around for a while trying placement and logistics, I gave up and went with the ammo can. 

I initially planned to mount my gear all sexy like (AR-Jedi and BigDaddy004) with AL brackets and such, then I realized that my gear wouldn't work like that, so that is when I copied another ARFCOMMer and built a shelf unit from plywood (some used plastic cutting boards)

I initially thought of external speakers too, but then the 'room' ran out so I use the speakers in the units (or an external when operating on the bench)

I'm not sure about the booster thing but the powergate looks like a good idea.  I used an automotive/marine fuse panel to terminate all wires.  Hope this helps!

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2013, 03:57:58 PM »
Hi all! I am in the final stages of setting up my EMCOMM box and am hoping to get some local (Tampa Area) help with the setup and wiring to ensure that I don't make any magic smoke. I'm more than happy to travel to meet someone to help with with this project, but obviously Central FL would make things much more simple.

The purpose of this box will be for EMCOMM (obviously), but it will also fill the role of my Base Station.

Here is what I have to put in a SPUD7 box:
- Alinco DM-330MVT
- FT-857D
- LDG Z11Pro2 Tuner
- Super PWRgate PG40S
- MFJ-4416B Booster
- AGM 12v 7.5Ah Battery
- External Speaker
- Computer Fan (I'm not sure if I'm going to add one of these)

Once this project is complete, then I will be putting together a portable Battery Box that I would like to be able to plug and play with this kit...but that's a discussion for a separate thread.

For antennas I have a Buddipole for HF and a SlimJim for 2m/70cm.

Also, I have read ALL of the threads in the ARFCOM EMCOMM thread (http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b ... 273&page=1), they were great for giving me ideas, but not really helpful for the final stage of this project.

Thanks and 73,
- Alex
Sorry to say that I am a tad out of the travel radius being in Kentucky,..  but it sounds like you have a good plan on how you want things. 

As SCW mentioned,.. you might run out of room,..  But as you are using this for a base station,.. you might want to look at building a frame that slides into your Spud7.  This way you can slid it out and work on it.  You can also connect things like the external speaker when needed, then slide it back in to protect it.

As for wiring,.. you may need a common buss - a marine fuse block is a good starting point as SCW referenced.  As long as you keep black to black you'll do fine..   Your radio feeds should be fused on both sides Pos and Neg.

Might want to check your link, it isn't complete, and can't be opened..

Offline AEuropa

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Rule #1: Cardio - CrossFit Barbarian Fitness
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 08:13:05 PM »
Guys, thanks for the comments. I like the idea of attaching everything to a frame that I can slide out...I hadn't considered how I was going to work on the gear after everything was mounted. It would be a major pain in the ass to have to unscrew everything to get to something at the bottom of the box.

My thought process about having the small battery inside the primary radio box is to provide a small amount of battery backup (the PWRGate automatically shifts power from PS to battery if station power is lost) to keep comms up while I grab the battery backup and plug it in.  Basically, in my ideal scenario, I don't want to HAVE to always hookup the battery backup while on "shore power" to ensure redundancy.  It's not a dealbreaker, but it's what I would like to do if it is feasible. :)

And here is the correct link to the thread I was referring to over at ARFCOM...lots of great EMCOMM box info there:

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=648273

PS: Still looking for local help if anyone in FL sees this.  8)

PPS: Wolverine, I just noticed that your EMCOMM box is famously placed within the above mentioned ARFCOM thread...that thing is beautiful.  I wish SC wasn't so far away...:(

- Alex
« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 08:25:34 PM by AEuropa »

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2013, 07:57:56 AM »
A beautiful mess  ;) maybe....

I put that thread together after stumbling all over ARFCOM trying to find (re:copy) ideas for what I wanted to accomplish.  At first glance I was creating a porta-shack, but after bench-top use, the removable shelf unit was a God-send!  I took the unit to Field Day last year in the box, but since then, it's been on the bench.

I'm glad the thread has been of some use!  Now, get'er done!

SCW

Offline reconprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
I would shy away from the buddipole unless you already own one. Reason being.....theres a reason their website has lots of spare parts for sale :)
They break easily and are easy to loose.
Seen too many hams TRYING to setup and not have parts or have parts broken with the buddipole.
The idea of the buddipole is neat but not well constructed in my opinion.

Offline Medicineball

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2013, 06:45:58 PM »
Reconprepper, your post was very timely, as I was thinking about getting a buddipole with my tax refund! Question for you: is there something that is similar that you think is a better option? Many thanks!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:12:09 AM »
Reconprepper, your post was very timely, as I was thinking about getting a buddipole with my tax refund! Question for you: is there something that is similar that you think is a better option? Many thanks!

I suggest WIRE. It is easy and no compromise due to size and or traps,it is small size to carry,easy to deploy,easy to repair or replace and you can use your SAVED money to buy an LDG or other auto-tuner to complete the package.

An end fed half wave is a great antenna for multiple band usage and easy to make from the scraps of civilization .

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIX3ZwckFUeGpEOXc&usp=sharing

Or a more permanent command antenna , the AS 2259

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5ZIZLZV4AwIY3NoMkthTEVQRE0&usp=sharing