Author Topic: Winter Storm Nemo (Possible N'or Easter / Blizzard)  (Read 10197 times)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Winter Storm Nemo (Possible N'or Easter / Blizzard)
« on: February 06, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »
There is a big storm headed for the Northeast.  My area (near Binghamton NY) is forcast for about 6-10" right now. . . sounds like Boston could get slammed with up to 2 feet.

International Business Times: Winter Storm Nemo Brings Snow To Northeast US, Possible Blizzard Conditions Around Boston

So. . . who is in the path? What preps are you checking?  What are you noticing going on with those around you (ie when does the panic buying start!)? 

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Winter Storm Nemo (Possible N'or Easter / Blizzard)
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2013, 05:00:01 PM »
The weather report has changed about 10 times in the past 12 hours here on the island.
From a possible nothing to 2 feet plus.

Now I think it stands at 8-10 inches more up here on the north shore.

All I did was make sure we had milk for the baby and gas.

Offline Mma800

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2013, 05:01:40 PM »
Bring it on Nemo! I am 15 miles outside of Boston, and am ready! I have a Region 1 thread started to watch for the panic.
I have my preps all ready for us. I love a good Blizzard!

We usually lose power for a while during high winds. Our generator, batteries, etc are all set. We have food water heat to last us a while. Outdoor preps are done. Fuel is topped off.
Cash is on hand. We-have-no-power station is set up in the family room ( we all hunker down there to keep warm/lit/entertained) Kids love a good storm too!
We will make cupcakes, valentines cards, read, knit, Legos, etc.

I will make a beef stew, bake bread, French toast. I pulled out some DVDs the kids have not seen for a while and I have tons of new books thanks to a library sale this past Monday. Nancy Drew, black beauty,etc.

Flashlights and radios are ready, everything is charged. BOBs are good and I even made a pee pee pad in the garage for the dog who hates inclimate weather.  Got crickets for the lizard and moved the bunny into the garage after cleaning the hutch.

Nemo, we are waiting!

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2013, 05:39:55 PM »
I live fairly close to Utica, NY.  The most recent forecast I saw predicted 5-9 inches for our area.  I have a planned grocery store trip tomorrow, and I imagine the store will be more crowded than usual.

Offline Saint-TyR

• Survivor
    • Ruby Lane Farm
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2013, 07:20:27 PM »
No worries here in NH in the seacoast region! They say up to 20"+! We shall see...

Stay safe!

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »
Here in Central NJ current forecast is 4-10". I topped of the gas in my car, hubby the body builder will be picking up his bananas & sweet potatoes today instead of over the weekend.  ;)
Other than that we are a-ok. I checked on my elderly neighbor to see if she needed food/milk/etc but she poopoo'd the storm.
I did notice a couple of people filling gas cans as I drove past several stations this morning.
(It does seem that since Sandy if we get even a kiss of wind the lights flicker or go out. I have a feeling that some of the very rushed patch jobs they did to get this area up & running are not as sturdy as they could be. Plus so many weakened trees/limbs  are still coming down.)
Tomorrow morning is a huge 2nd amendment rally in Trenton, I'm hoping the weather holds off long enough for us to get to demonstrate, before the state closes us down due to a "weather emergency".  >:(

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 11:03:08 AM »
This one is missing us in MD.  Gonna be North of me.

FrugalUpstate, I have friends in Endicott.  Not a bad area.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2013, 04:08:14 PM »
The gas lines are starting to look like after sandy here on the island and the stores are probably starting to get crowded.
I just hope we don't lose power again. We lost it in the last storm we had at the end of January. only for about 12 hours or so but it seems
that as soon as the wind blows these days people lose power.

We shall see what happens.
I am ready to go. My boss already said to not even consider going in to the office. He said to work from home.

Offline ConcoursRider

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2013, 05:32:31 PM »
I think (hope) we are ready to go for tomorrow. I'm in the "isolated 30 inches+" area, so this should be interesting. I did end up picking up a propane heater for the house, just in case, and I even bought the adapter to hook up the big tank worse case scenario. No generator, so I'm hoping we don't lose any power, especially with the threat of frozen pipes. Added a few more food items yesterday and avoided the panic rush. Got a bunch of extra batteries, car fuel tank is topped off, and now. . .we wait!

Good luck everyone!

-Chris

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2013, 05:46:19 PM »
The storm has reached the Southern Ontario, Greater Toronto Area (GTA) this evening. Nothing too deep yet but undoubtedly slowing the commute home for many people. They are calling for 6-8" of snow which should slow down rush hour traffic, but unless someone has to travel far the sky isn't falling. I do not expect any grave likelihood of power loss.

The New York side of Lake Ontario often gets it a lot worst than us, though I get the impression that people on that side of the border are better prepared for this kind of thing.

Offline Cordovil

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2013, 08:30:58 PM »
Some observations from Northern NJ (where we were without power for ~ 2 weeks, including a 6 inch snowfall, during the aftermath of Sandy):

- lines for gasoline are already starting in my immediate neighborhood; I topped off my car and filled up the extra gas can (now I have a 2 week supply for my generator) a couple hours ago, and the guys working at the gas station said is has been "panic mode" since this afternoon; many people out filling up their cars and gas cans

- a friend at work told me his wife his the grocery store this AM and it was already packed;

My wife insisted on heading out the grocery store (she's come a long way toward appreciating our preps, but she insists she wants to pick up just some more meat to cook over the next few days . . . (if we lose power, we can just keep it cool in our cooler outside!)  I'm curious to hear how crowded the grocery store was once she returns.

In short, people in NJ are panicking a little earlier than usual.  I'd say the rush to the grocery store behavior is per usual; the gas panic is new though.

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2013, 08:38:30 PM »
We are forecasted to get 14 to 24 inches.  Nothing out of the ordinary going on here.  No run on stores, no gas lines, some school cancelations.  That's it.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »
We've had heavy rain all day in SC that just stopped. Local weatherman said it was moving out to sea. Is that the same storm the NE is gonna get? Also heard something about high tides & moon - predicting more beach erosion in NE.

At 11 pm, weatherman said we had over 3" of rain in past 24 hrs - that would equal a lot of snow.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:09:10 PM by soccer grannie »

Offline Cordovil

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2013, 09:00:57 PM »
NYC is sending out text/email alerts, like this one I just received (I work in NYC and live in NJ, so I am tuned into the NYC stuff too):

"Notification issued 2/7/13 at 9:35 PM. Mayor Bloomberg has issued a Severe Weather Advisory for a significant snowfall, forecast to begin tomorrow afternoon. The public is urged to avoid unnecessary travel, expect possible disruptions to public transportation, and stock up on potential supplies, including medicine."

I suggest that on some random, sunny Tuesday in March, the City should send out an alert for its citizens to "stock on on potential supplies, including medicine."  The night before the storm hits seems a little late for that advice.

???

Offline Mma800

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2013, 01:39:00 AM »
Grocery stores and home depot were a nightmare yesterday! No parking, shelves emptying fast! Home depot was sold out of generators.

I had my storm checklist and was able to get everything done, including some needed repairs to the generator. No need to leave the house at all today. Schools are cancelled. I may head out to home depot to see if I can get another propane tank for the buddy heater. Sounds like snow will start around noon here. Not a flake yet.

Only thing left to do is to charge up the electronics the kids used last night. I am actually glad my husband is out of town because he would be one of the people struggling to get home from work in the snow tonight. Stay warm everyone!

Offline DrJohn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Call on God, but row away from the rocks.
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2013, 06:57:40 AM »
6 inches so far.  Drove the kids to school,as we are the only district still open.  Took me 35 minutes to get home, normally a 5 minute drive.  Silly rabbits that's why they make snow tires...

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2013, 07:16:03 AM »
Silly rabbits that's why they make snow tires...

*slightly off topic*  We don't do snow tires here in NY's southern tier-the roads just don't get that bad--at least not with the crews out plowing and salting and such.  But it has occurred to me that if one wanted to be out and around in their diesel pickup for some reason and the roads were not being plowed frequently (or at all) for some reason. . . that as much of a pain as they are having an old fashioned set of tire chains might be a good idea for preps.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2013, 10:42:34 AM »
I have chains + studded tires for one truck and chains + Blizzaks on the other. But I live in Alaska, so that's my excuse... side note: I have only needed to use the chains once in the last 3 years.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2013, 11:49:31 AM »
We already had a 3 hour power outage.
Back up for now.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2013, 12:11:27 PM »
We already had a 3 hour power outage.
Back up for now.

Good luck-I'm sure that the grid down by you is held together with spit and duct tape right now. . .

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2013, 12:17:07 PM »
Only thing left to do is to charge up the electronics the kids used last night.
I bought over a dozen of these several years ago for Christmas presents. It will charge anything you can charge in the car cig lighter with a car adapter (cell phones, kid's games, etc). Too late for 'this' storm but still a good item to have in any power outage.
Flashlight & Charger: http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CL%20L330_A_name_E_The%20Charger%E2%84%A2%20Emergency%20Hand%20Crank%20Flashlight%20with%20Mobile%20Phone%20Adapter
Flashlight, Charger & Radio: http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CL%20L530_A_name_E_Wavelength+Emergency+Radio%2C+Charger+%26+Flashlight

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2013, 12:54:51 PM »
the gas panic is new though.

Learned behavior from the Sandy gas shortage aftermath?

Cedar

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2013, 02:14:15 PM »
A bunch of the gas stations around here are closed since they have no more gas.
We are at close to an inch of snow and coming down pretty good.

Offline GrizzlyAdams

• Survivor
  • Hiker
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
My wife and I went through Hurricane Irene (lost power for 7 days) and Hurricane Sandy (lost power for 8 days).   Those 2 events really helped us be prepared.   Since Hurricane Sandy hit, we have made the following adjustments that should help with Nemo in the event of an outage.

Honda eu2000i Generator
We purchased this generator and it is awesome!  It is very quiet, and very fuel efficient.  We are using this as our generator for "nice to haves" since it is so good on fuel.  We will use this to power the TV, DVD, and coffee maker.

More Fuel
Sandy taught us how important it is to be rotating fuel, and to have some in storage.  It seems like many people in NJ have purchased gasoline generators.  During Sandy, and even today during Nemo, there were lines at the gas station because people were filling many empty gas cans.  Since Sandy we have increased our fuel storage, and rotate it each month which means we did not have to wait in any lines today.

Steve Harris Battery Backup
We bought Steve's video and built the battery backup.  It is a great video, and very easy to do as the video is very detailed.  We have 300ah of battery power and a 1600 watt inverter.  This setup will be used at night rather than running the generator.  During Hurricane Sandy, people were stealing generators at night.  There were reports of some generators that were destroyed when the thieves could not cut through the chains or cables.  It was just too risky to be running them at night.  As Steve and Jack say "Go silent, and go deep".  This 300ah backup system is for that purpose.

D Batteries
After Sandy we purchased plenty of D batteries and rechargeable D batteries.  During Sandy, you could not find D batteries anywhere.

Amazon Prime
I wish we would of had this during Sandy as we could have used it to get gas cans.  During Sandy, there were no gas cans anywhere and had I known about this service I could have possibly gotten gas cans.  We have signed up for this service and think that it is great.  It is very cool to order items from Amazon, pay nothing for shipping, and get what you ordered in 2 days.

Replace light bulbs
We have replaced almost all the light bulbs with CFLs or LED bulbs.  The biggest reason for this is because at night during Sandy we were running off of a deep-cycle marine battery, and realized the importance of counting every watt.   

Anyone else make any changes since Sandy and are now better prepared for Nemo?

GA

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2013, 04:56:08 PM »
Stay safe, everyone!

Offline Cordovil

• Survivor
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2013, 07:12:20 PM »
GrizzlyAdams, it sounds like you've made some very key steps toward preparing; I almost felt like I was reading one of my own posts (just in my case, substitute Yamaha for your Honda).

Well done.  Your post reminds me I need to pick up a few more D batteries . . .

Offline Cordovil

• Survivor
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2013, 07:14:49 PM »
Just a few inches of snow here so far, but it has been icing/hailing for a while, so we're just hoping the tree limbs and power lines hold up.  My biggest hope is that all of the weakest trees/limbs came crashing down during Sandy, so that we make it through this one without a power outage.

My wife said it was pretty crowded at our quiet little supermarket last night around 11 (when she left).  We both got a chuckle out of this one:

http://youtu.be/i6zaVYWLTkU

Offline Saint

• Senior Survivalist
  • Bury it and bury the shovel.
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »
I'm on north shore of Long Island - literally just finished two weeks active duty in DC, flight home canxd, so I got a rental car and drove. Made it home a few hours ago, heavy snow and slush all over. Wife already had the wood stacked and fire going. We lost power at 8pm (we'd lost power for 11 days during Sandy). Lights out kit was ready, got some candles going, I started shoveling to make a nice spot for the generator...and the power is back.
Gonna sit back, enjoy a homebrew and wait another hour or two before calling it a night.
We're at about 18 inches, drifts to 30, sleet and frozen rain base created a lot of ice under the snow.

Offline Cordovil

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2013, 08:26:59 PM »
We lost power at 8pm (we'd lost power for 11 days during Sandy). Lights out kit was ready, got some candles going, I started shoveling to make a nice spot for the generator...and the power is back.

That's good to hear, Saint.  After 11 days without power during Sandy, I'm sure another power outage during cold weather is the last thing you want to deal with right now.  Hang in there.

Offline liftsboxes

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Quit Whining
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
18" of light drifty stuff here in SoNH.  Wood stove is nice and hot, bacon cooking, bread baking ... wait, that's a normal Saturday morning around here.