Author Topic: Winter Storm Nemo (Possible N'or Easter / Blizzard)  (Read 9828 times)

Offline MustangMike

• Prepper
    • The Backyard Pioneer
Some pictures of Nemo and some thoughts. . .
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2013, 07:53:53 PM »

I’m a Long Islander, I’m not always a happy Long Islander but it is my birthplace and I’ve lived here for 39 years now. So I feel I need to step up and defend my fellow Islanders in the eyes of the Prepping/Survival community. This storm was like nothing I’ve seen in all my years of living in the Northeast. It came on so fast and with such ferocity that even as some one who styles himself a Prepared person, I was taken aback at how fast the situation went down the tubes.

When I left for work at 6AM we were forecasted to get 6?-12? ,with the height of the storm in the early evening after the rush hour commute. While I was at work the forecast changed dramatically but the light rain we were getting led no one to believe how crazy things would get. I think what really went wrong was the weather in NYC and the more western suburbs was just not jiving with the weather report. When people got out of work and started home they left into a drizzle that turned nasty as they headed east.

At 2:40 I was on the South Shore and it wasn’t that bad, but I did notice that it was getting a bit slushy out. I left the garage at 3:15 and started my trek home. My usual 12 mile commute took an hour and a half. I bailed out on the main roads as they were already getting nuts. I ended up on the side roads in a white knuckle 4×4 ride through the neighborhoods of Holbrook, Holtsville, Selden, and Coram. I came over the worst hills on Long Island and I was puckered tight. I went through the snow wall into my neighborhood like a freakin’ Jeep commercial. I was glad to be home.

The cars stuck on County Route 83 were following the plows up the hill until the plows themselves went off the road. The Police were there and told the stuck that they would back them down the hill in an orderly manner when traffic subsided. After 4 hours the cops told people “Good luck, you’re on your own.” Now we find ourselves in a situation where the lighter plow trucks can’t move the snow and the stalled cars are blocking the heavier equipment from getting through.

So for all those out there Monday Morning Quarterbacks out there, this was a freak storm for Eastern Suffolk County. Critique the fact that a lot of suffering and anxiety could have been avoided by having some basic vehicle preps or a Get Home Bag, but don’t be so smug to think it couldn’t happen to you. If you are so in tune with things that you’d never get caught why bother with the Car Kits, EDC, or Get Home Bags? Instead of laughing and pointing, or the name calling why not try to educate someone on why or how to prepare?

What do you think?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Some pictures of Nemo and some thoughts. . .
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2013, 08:44:03 PM »
And this is why I ran sled dogs  ;)

Actually if I know there is going to be a bad storm I stay holed up if I can. Once I got caught in a blizzard in Canada on my way home from work and although we were only able to go 5 MPH as we could not see the ditch or other vehicles coming the other way until their headlights were even with yours, but you had to keep going as there was nowhere to pull off or see where to pull off. That was good for me. The rest of my winters I kept my overnight gear (as well as my BOB) in my truck so I could sleep on the floor at work if need be.

Glad you made it home and thank you for the pics as I am not near a TV these days and is not able to see what that Nemo brought.

Cedar

Thox Spuddy

Re: Winter Storm Nemo (Possible N'or Easter / Blizzard)
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2013, 09:09:56 PM »
I have to say I don't miss that east coast attitude  ;)

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2013, 09:58:00 PM »
Mustang Mike,

You raise some valid points in your post. Up here in the Toronto area the snow began Thursday night after rush hour and got heavy on Friday (especially late morning/early afternoon) dumping a foot of snow on us. The outlying school districts shut down but for the most part people simply had a longer commute to and from work. A friend of mine even managed to travel to Pearson Intl Airport to pick up a relative that flew in from Western Canada, which meant that he went down our busiest highway, the 401.

From what I can tell, we're lucky, as upstate NY appears to have really gotten the worst of it, with depths that would have seriously challenged us here, and unless people were warned with enough notice simply to stay at home, I cannot see any real way around what you've described, though I'm sure that many of the stranded motorists wish they'd had a good car kit and extra supplies at home.

Though we generally don't have to worry too much about getting a foot of snow (besides reconsidering commute times or work schedules) there's certainly good reason to invest in the preps recommended by Steve Harris and/or the utility of a generator.  I'm certainly hoping to get to that level over the longer term, and will be otherwise prepared for at least temporary outages in the meantime.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2013, 12:05:12 PM »
I'm on north shore of Long Island - literally just finished two weeks active duty in DC, flight home canxd, so I got a rental car and drove. Made it home a few hours ago, heavy snow and slush all over. Wife already had the wood stacked and fire going. We lost power at 8pm (we'd lost power for 11 days during Sandy). Lights out kit was ready, got some candles going, I started shoveling to make a nice spot for the generator...and the power is back.
Gonna sit back, enjoy a homebrew and wait another hour or two before calling it a night.
We're at about 18 inches, drifts to 30, sleet and frozen rain base created a lot of ice under the snow.

You guys got pretty hammered out there, and I am not talking because of the home brew.
I am west of you in Nassau on the North Shore and we got around 15 - 18 so we did ok in comparison. Most of the roads aren't too bad. It depends on the municipality that handles the plowing.

We lost power Friday morning and my thought was "Here we go again."
It was back by 2 and stayed on.

Offline LBSurfer

• Prepper
    • Suburban Steader
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2013, 02:32:04 PM »
28" here in western/central Suffolk County with no plowed roads until about 7pm last night.  No power loss, so that's not too bad.  Definitely no where near the problems we had with Sandy.  We're going to see the big problems tomorrow when we get warm weather and rain.  Flooding is going to be a bitch.