Author Topic: Am I in the right forum - are there many ladies around?  (Read 29808 times)

Offline MissAnthrope Plant Nerd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Am I in the right forum - are there many ladies around?
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:11:19 PM »
This forum seems to be very slow - I'm surprised.  Are there not many other females around here?  I feel somewhat dismal looking at the sparse posting dates.  Not very active.  Maybe I'm in the wrong place??  Is there anyone (female and preferably middle-aged like myself) out there?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: Am I in the right forum - are there many ladies around?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 12:08:52 AM »
while i am not a lady, i will say when i first joined i found the forums a little slow as well. i know for a fact there are many women on here. give the forum some time and i think you'll start to get a feel for the pace of it. plus once your post count gets up and you're involved in more threads it really picks up. it's not nearly as upbeat as my other go to forum, but i will say this has become my favorite and most visited one.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2013, 05:38:12 AM »
There are a lot of women that are active on TSPF. More often than not they're posting in sections and about topics that don't necessarily fall under the category of "Lady Survivors" and might fit better elsewhere.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 05:50:14 AM »
There are a bunch of us here.  Personally, I stay busy (with not a lot of Internet time) and often do more reading than writing.  But I'll gladly chime in if someone posts a question.

~TG

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2013, 05:50:40 AM »
I'm here:) The forum tends to slow down some in the spring (at least for me) because its a busy time for prepping. Gotta get that garden going!

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 06:59:39 AM »
I am also female and here, and like Nic said, mostly we save the Lady's thread for discussion of periods, bras, and childbirth  ;)  But we are all over the other threads as well.  And, like Cheryl said - it is a busy time of year.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 08:08:18 AM »
one thing i forgot to add about this forum: the quality of the posts are so much better! if i start a thread i usually duplicate it at another forum and i am amazed at how much better/more mature the answers are that i get here.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 09:29:32 AM »
I am here and I post alot when I am able. But like Cheryl said, it is spring and most forums do slow down. I am generally not around from Spring to Fall but I am finding time in the mornings usually or when I come in for lunch.

Cedar

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 09:38:38 AM »
This forum seems to be very slow - I'm surprised.  Are there not many other females around here?  I feel somewhat dismal looking at the sparse posting dates.  Not very active.  Maybe I'm in the wrong place??  Is there anyone (female and preferably middle-aged like myself) out there?

I fit that description.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 09:42:01 AM »
Is there anyone (female and preferably middle-aged like myself) out there?

I fit that description.

However, I refuse to be considered MIDDLE AGED yet..

Cedar

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
I'm here too.  I just tend to hang out on the other threads more.

As far as being middle aged,  I'm 48 but I subscribe to the theory that you're only as old as the man you feel... aw, heck.  I just remembered Jay is 7 years older than me.  So I guess I AM middle aged.  I just don't act like it.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 02:16:06 PM »
I came here to say that one reason this forum is slow this time of the year is that a lot of people are busy in their gardens, but apparently that point has already been made.

That said, I am not a female, so I was just going to give my $0.02 and walk away.

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 05:36:03 PM »
I am also female and here, and like Nic said, mostly we save the Lady's thread for discussion of periods, bras, and childbirth  ;)  But we are all over the other threads as well.  And, like Cheryl said - it is a busy time of year.

I was trying to be subtle.  ;)

d3nni5

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 06:05:25 PM »

Woohoo!   Now that we know who is who...let the flirting begin!    :rofl:

Seriously though, the best part about this forum is the wide variety of people;   male/female....old/young....outspoken/reserved.    I've found it "gender neutral" for the most part.   Bottom line, I've never found any other place on the net that folks get along so well.   One would think the diversity would cause more arguments, but it really seems to do the opposite.

I rely on the opinions and info I get here to structure my preparedness, and the female point of view is essential for that.  Particularly because my girlfriend has not bought into this lifestyle as much as I have.  It's more of an "eye rolling" than an "argumentative" attitude, but it helps to read these posts and know that this just isn't a "guy thing".

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2013, 06:30:35 PM »
I post alot on the forum, but not too much in the Lady Survivor thread area. Not sure why that is.

Cedar

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2013, 09:55:41 PM »
Seriously though, the best part about this forum is the wide variety of people;   male/female....old/young....outspoken/reserved.    I've found it "gender neutral" for the most part.   Bottom line, I've never found any other place on the net that folks get along so well.   One would think the diversity would cause more arguments, but it really seems to do the opposite.

i think this forum tends to have more mature members, be they young or old. it takes a certain person who desires to be prepared and self sufficient/self reliant.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2013, 08:52:18 AM »
I was a little hesitant to come to these boards because I was worried there would have racist and sexist attitudes.  I was happy to find they didn't exist.  Besides being clearly open to all races, I'm not finding any of the "Now don't worry your pretty little head, and make sure the beans don't burn..." attitude in any way. Everyone's contribution is valuable.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2013, 09:47:46 AM »
"Now don't worry your pretty little head, and make sure the beans don't burn..."

I almost choked when I read that. Pity the person who ever told me that in real life (or maybe even on the net).

Cedar

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2013, 10:29:19 AM »
I almost choked when I read that. Pity the person who ever told me that in real life (or maybe even on the net).

Cedar

I had a guy (back when I was a skinny blonde 20-year-old) replace the engine in my '68 VW Bug.  As I drove away, I noticed the oil pressure gauge wasn't working.  I pulled right around and pointed it out.  He actually admitted he disconnected it on purpose.  Why?  "Because you don't need to worry your pretty little head about things like that."

I doubt his hearing ever was the same after I got through with him.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2013, 11:39:45 AM »

Cedar

nope.  I will have no pity for such a person.  Some things you just bring upon yourself.

zanedclark@att.net

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2013, 12:00:11 PM »
I am old and male and do not post much but do check everyday to see what is being said.  I completely agree with the above posts on the reasoned responses and supportive nature of this forum.

I do not check other forums since finding TSP unless I am after a particular issue which I know I might find elsewhere. 

So it may seem slow, but people are otherwise occupied with their lives and preps.
z

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2013, 12:32:19 PM »
i think this forum tends to have more mature members, be they young or old. it takes a certain person who desires to be prepared and self sufficient/self reliant.
Yep the trolls don't stay around very long.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2013, 01:25:33 PM »
Yep the trolls don't stay around very long.

yep, i think this forum has some of the best mods. they keep out the gutter trash but don't micro manage so much that you can't have fun.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2013, 01:59:16 PM »
Glad to see so many replies... I actually find that there are so many no posts everyday that I have completely given up trying to read them all... I agree that most of the posts are not on the Lady Survivor board, but my interests are widely varied, so there is plenty here to read and answer...

Offline Nicodemus

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2013, 06:27:24 PM »
I'm not finding any of the "Now don't worry your pretty little head, and make sure the beans don't burn..." attitude in any way.

That's what Cedar says to "Z".  ;D

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2013, 06:35:28 PM »
That's what Cedar says to "Z".  ;D

*LOL*...

Cedar

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
I post alot on the forum, but not too much in the Lady Survivor thread area. Not sure why that is.

Cedar

I find most things I ask questions about are answered equally well by men or women so unless I had a specific concern about prepping and being a woman I would generally post in another part of the forum.

And maybe being a bit 'experienced' I don't have the same concerns as some younger women might.

Offline PorcupineKate

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Head Weed Puller
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2013, 08:50:42 PM »
I haven't been around as much due to expanding the garden and other projects.  I am sure in the really hot dog days of summer when I am hiding in the air conditioning that I will post more. 

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2013, 11:37:40 PM »
I find most things I ask questions about are answered equally well by men or women so unless I had a specific concern about prepping and being a woman I would generally post in another part of the forum.

Same here.  :)

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2013, 01:58:54 AM »
There are more males on the TSP forum than females. I agree with what FrugalFannie said "I find most things I ask questions about are answered equally well by men or women so unless I had a specific concern about prepping and being a woman I would generally post in another part of the forum."

IIRC, I don't think I've ever posted in the Lady Survivors thread. My posts and questions usually fall under another category. Post your remarks, ask your questions - somebody will offer their advice. Another thing, some of the females on this forum have user names that don't specifically identify them as female.

Looking forward to reading your posts!