Author Topic: Powder selection process  (Read 5005 times)

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
Powder selection process
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:39 PM »
Ok, Im finalllly getting ready to begin reloading again.  Scrounged my old stuff out of storage, rebuilt my Lee presses and ordered new dies. After I dusted off the old data sheets and notes I began to think whats the best powder out there today for certain ammo.

Im going to reload 35 rem, 223's, 9mm and 40sw.

With all the experience in this forum, Im looking rfor some recommendations.  What works best for you in these calibers???

Thanks in advance!! 

Offline bushidorobb

• Survivor
Re: Powder selection process
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:12:08 PM »
I like the Hogdon powders! I use Varget for 223 and Titegroup for 9mm.

Offline quietmike

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »
The best advice I can give you is to look at the loading data for the specific caliber and bullet weight you will be loading. Pick the powder which will give you the heaviest grain weight charge. This seems wasteful, but, it means the burn rate of the powder is a good match for the combo you are using and will generally be the best performer while keeping the pressures reasonable.

Hope this helps.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 06:39:49 PM »
starting back up, i'd recommend:
223- varget for varmint/accuracy loads (all weights), ramshot tac / wc844 surp for volume loads (55g)
9mm- titegroup, unique 

I have found unique to be the most satisfactory / versatile powder for most of my pistol loads. it is slower that titegroup, has a different feel. Not as good for low power loads as tg.

what i have used with some success:
varget, wc844 & ramshot tac (223)
imr 3031, h4198 (45-70)
imr trailboss (44, 45-70)
unique (45-70, 9mm, 45acp & 44)
h110 (44mag "business loads")
power pistol(hot 9mm & 45 loads)
solo1000 (9mm&45acp)
silhouette(9mm & 45acp)
Titegroup (9mm, 45acp, 44)
bullseye (45acp)

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 07:50:12 PM »
The manuals are really helpful in guiding you. IMR 3031 is pretty versatile along with Unique. There are so many good propellants out there. Of course if you go black, you life is now simpler.

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 08:19:00 PM »
personally, for 9mm 38/357 i think that win231 is pretty freaking awesome but i am guilty of still using bullseye for my 38s

as for the .223 i hear great things about varget... I for one have use benchmark and i loved it and i have used some IMR4198 and was'nt wow'd nor dissatisfied... hope this is helpful.

Offline ejsandstrom

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Right in a left world
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 07:05:27 AM »
I used the charts in the Lee book. I looked at the chart for bullet weight and then how full I wanted the cartridge. In all cases for me it has been AA#5 & 7 for .45 an AA2230 for .223.

Offline CTF250

• Survivalist Mentor
  • OATH KEEPER
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 04:13:45 PM »
starting back up, i'd recommend:
223- varget for varmint/accuracy loads (all weights), ramshot tac / wc844 surp for volume loads (55g)
9mm- titegroup, unique 

I have found unique to be the most satisfactory / versatile powder for most of my pistol loads. it is slower that titegroup, has a different feel. Not as good for low power loads as tg.

Ive heard that Unique is tough to meter comparied to Power pistol and H335
thanks for the lead though
We will have to experiment a bit
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 04:46:34 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 05:40:34 PM »
Unique is a flake powder but meters fine through the dillon powder dropper if you keep the hopper more than 1/2 full and drop 8-10 charges initally before weighing/loading.   Same for the rcbs uniflow (mine is old, i think that is the name of it).   I think Power Pistol is the go to powder for full power loads in 9mm and 45 but i don't load my target and general plinking ammo that hot.

WC844 and Ramshot Tac are easy metering ball powders like h335 btw; Varget can be a little finicky since it lis extruded, looks like little barrels.

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 07:36:59 PM »
win 231 for my pistol loads is really growing on me.. i never figured that i would give up on bullseye but i think i am going to be ending that relationship...

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2009, 10:41:37 AM »

Ive heard that Unique is tough to meter
I would not be afraid of Unique. It is a great propellant that has been around a long time and is cleaner burning than it was 20 years ago.
I have only had minor problems with LIGHT loads of Unique. (metering) Do not leave the propellant in a plastic hopper. It can pick up a static charge that interferes with propellant dropping properly.
Medium or full loads have not given me problems with a disk bushing or a Uniflow (RCBS) powder measure.

231 or HP38 (same propellant) are good propellants for light loads, it meters well.

Trailboss is good for light loads - it fills the case nicely. This helps to prevent double charges and seems to improve ignition by eliminating powder location issues in the case.

Offline product85

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2009, 01:53:18 PM »
I would not be afraid of Unique. It is a great propellant that has been around a long time and is cleaner burning than it was 20 years ago.
I have only had minor problems with LIGHT loads of Unique. (metering) Do not leave the propellant in a plastic hopper. It can pick up a static charge that interferes with propellant dropping properly.
Medium or full loads have not given me problems with a disk bushing or a Uniflow (RCBS) powder measure.

231 or HP38 (same propellant) are good propellants for light loads, it meters well.

Trailboss is good for light loads - it fills the case nicely. This helps to prevent double charges and seems to improve ignition by eliminating powder location issues in the case.

i find that with the flake powders in an RCBS UNIFLOW that anything lighter than 8.5 to 9gr will really vary and is not to be trusted unless measuring every single charge. This is unfortunate because i really like blue dot in almost everything i've tried it in, 9mm (7 something gr BD) especially but 90min to load 50 start to finish is too long and not worth it.

I have had great results loading my magnum cartridges with flake powders and get very good consistency.. 10.2gr on up.