Author Topic: Multi use powder?  (Read 2923 times)

Cushak

Multi use powder?
« on: March 31, 2009, 03:59:27 AM »
Hey guys, I've just started getting into reloading - I have all the basic equipment I'd need now, but I just had a couple questions.

In looking to simplify, I was wondering if there was a powder that would work well for all the calibers and bullet weights I'd be using. I'm planning on reloading .223 (one weight, not yet decided. Something for varmints, rabbits and fun shooting.) and .308 (175gr and possibly 125 gr). I have the Lyman reloading book (49th ed) and I'm thinking about using the IMR 4895; is there other stuff you guys would recommend? Preferably something not too expensive (not sure if there's a great range of price for powders - like I said, brand new)

The other question I had is I picked up a cheaper set of vernier calipers. It goes down to .1 mm and 1/64th increments on the imperial side of things - I'm assuming that wouldd be accurate enough for checking case lengths, primer depths etc; but should I actually be looking at getting something more accurate?

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
Re: Multi use powder?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 04:51:02 AM »
Disclaimer:  I don't reload 308 but have loaded many thousands of 223.

You'll probably be better served with two different powders more specific for the bullet weights in each of the cartridges you intend to use most.  Can't say it enough times that a good reloading manual or 3 (Lyman & Hornady are my pref) is recommended

In similar threads on reloading forums i've seen this question asked and answered with a variety of suggestions- you would probably be more satisfied whatever your slection if you stayed with lighter 308 bullets.  Varget is usually mentioned, 4895, TAC, AA2520 as well.   
a sample thread @ glockpost is here: http://www.glockpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6212

browse the reloading forums on AR15.com, thr.com and the like as well

as to calipers, the ones that I get the most use and satisfaction out of are the cheap digital ones through midwayusa (Frankfort? Arsenal maybe).  They are quick and accurate to .001". 

Good luck and be careful.

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 10:46:38 AM »
I've used IMR 3031 for both .223 and 7.5X55 Swiss.

....and .308 isn't all that different from 7.5X55.....

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 06:59:14 PM »
I dont reload .223, but Varget is my main powder for all my centerfire rifles. (.270, .243, 7.62x54R, 303Brit., 30-06)

Good fast loads, but nice recoil.

DM

Offline donald150

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 08:51:08 PM »
The only rifle rounds I currently reload are .223 and .308
I use RamShot Tac powder for both of them. http://www.ramshot.com/powders/tac.php They advertise Tac specifically for 223 and 308.
They will send you a reloading guide for their powders but I got it from the dealer at the gun show where I buy mine.
I have not seen it sold locally in stores yet.

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 07:48:14 PM »
IMR 3031 is pretty versatile in rifle.