Author Topic: Storing 2L water bottles in DIY wooden crates  (Read 5283 times)

Offline nagahl

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Storing 2L water bottles in DIY wooden crates
« on: September 01, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
Hey there,

I've been lurking around here for a while now and thought I might introduce myself w/ little instructional on a water storage project I worked up today.

2L bottles are great for storing water, but they have a tendency to tip over, courtesy of their rounded bottoms so I don't really like storing them upright on a shelf. I tried getting my hands on some of the plastic totes that Code/Pepsi use, but that didn't work out. So I decided to tackle the problem myself. Ultimately, I cribbed off a beer crate I found on the 'net, modified it a bit and came up with what you see here. Each crate holds 8 2L bottles quite snugly and they're stackable.

This is a fairly simple and inexpensive project. The most expensive parts are the pocket hole jig and clamps, if you don't already have them. Other than that, the wood is 1x3 and/or 1x4. The cheapest wood I found @ my local Lowe's was the 1x4 furring strips; about $2 each for an 8' board. They're low quality, though, so... choose wisely.

Cut List:
8 1x3 @ 8.5"
2 1x4 @ 18.5"
2 1x3 @ 18.5"
2 1x4 @ 17" (or 2 1x3  17", either works)

Tools I used:
Mitre saw
Kregg pocket hole jig/stepped pilot bit, #2 square drive bit (long shaft), 3" face clamp, right angle clamp (disclaimer: no affiliation/money, blah, blah, blah)
1.25" pocket hole screws (32/crate)
6d 1.5" finish nails (8/crate)
hammer, corded/cordless drill/driver

Note: For maximum strength all the joints should be glued, but it isn't strictly necessary. I only used it on one of the three I made.

Step 1:
Take 6 of the 8.5" 1x3 and drill two pocket holes in each end. While you're at it, drill pocket holes in the ends of the 17" 1x4 also.

Step 2:
Use the 8.5" 1x3 to construct the frames for the ends of the crate in a rail/stile sort of way. Each frame consists of three of the 8.5" 1x3 with pocket holes and one without. The one without the pocket holes goes on top.

(there should be more holes on the bottom rail in this picture, but I hadn't done them yet. Use your imagination)

Step 3:
Attach the 18.5" 1x4 lower side rails to the end frames. The lower rail should extend below the frame by 3/4" to 1" so I'm using a couple pieces of scrap 1x3 to hold the frame up while I attach the rail.

Step 4:
Attach the 18.5" 1x3 upper rails. Since these aren't taking much stress I used 6d finish nails, 1.5" to attach them. I used a scrap piece of 1x4 to locate the 1x3. It happens to be just the right spacing; hugging the Coca-Cola bottles right at their widest point, which is also the same spot the Pepsi bottles, which are straight sided, curve in towards the cap.

Step 5:
Attach the 17" 1x4 to the bottom of the crate, centering the boards under the bottles that will be sitting on them to maximize their stability.

Step 6 (nearly there):
This part isn't really necessary, but it makes the crate much easier to handle when it's got 35lbs of water in it. Use a router with a round-over bit to ease the edges on the underside of the top rails on the end frames. If you don't have a router, use a wood rasp. If you haven't got one of those, use a utility/pocket knife. If you haven't got that... I don't know, nibble it; use whatever will take the sharpness off the edge.

If you're not sure which part of the crate is involved in step 6, try this: put the crate on the floor and put 8 2L bottles in it. Now pick it up. You'll probably grasp it by the top rails of the frames you built in step 1. Your hands will tell where to route.

Done:

Built, filled and stacked:

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Storing 2L water bottles in DIY wooden crates
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 07:49:11 PM »
Hey there,

I've been lurking around here for a while.

I saw someone lurking in the shadows.   ;D

Good post thanks for the cut list and pic's

Offline Datman01

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2013, 06:11:37 AM »
If I could make one suggestion, install a small dowel rod in each corner of the tops and drill matching holes in the bases so they "lock" together. This way if they are bumped into the top ones don't slide off and damage the bottles below.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 06:33:56 AM »
Nice work!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 07:31:17 AM »
Looks great. Thanks for sharing... look forward to seeing more of your posts.

Offline Fixit

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 07:39:42 AM »
Nice job . Having worked in a cabinet shop I can say that with an educated eye . I also think it would help to have a lock for stacking but was thinking more of a t and g joint.

Offline nagahl

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2013, 04:17:37 PM »
If I could make one suggestion, install a small dowel rod in each corner of the tops and drill matching holes in the bases so they "lock" together. This way if they are bumped into the top ones don't slide off and damage the bottles below.

and...

Nice job . Having worked in a cabinet shop I can say that with an educated eye . I also think it would help to have a lock for stacking but was thinking more of a t and g joint.

Thanks for the feedback, guys. It's a bit hard to tell from these pictures, but the lower 1x4 rails extend below the end frames by 3/4" and slip snugly over the top of the crate underneath it. Here's a better picture of a stacked end (slightly separated for clarity).

Offline LibertyBelle

• Munches with goats...
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2013, 09:34:24 PM »
+1
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.