Author Topic: Overlooked Preps for Ladies  (Read 22690 times)

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
Overlooked Preps for Ladies
« on: September 11, 2013, 10:37:04 AM »
I know that people often mention menstrual items as an overlooked prep, but I have another... "sports bras"!  As a country gal, I can tell you that your normal bra does not cut it when you are chopping wood or putting up hay.  I think sturdy footwear is another one.  Most women I know do not own a good pair of work boots. 

Are there any others I'm missing? 

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
Re: Overlooked Preps for Ladies
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 12:48:58 PM »
check out the thread about bras: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=33603.0  there are some good thoughts there about bra types and brands etc.  plus just some good fun :)

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:09 PM »
That's the good thing of having a prepper for a husband, if I don't have my mooncup with me he Always Carry's tampongs (tinder) and/or a sanitary napkin (for wounds, I'm not shore that's the correct Word though.)

an other thing if you have long hair theres good to have a shawl (maby correct Word) around your hair, it keeps it there, it don't have to smell like poo in the evening and it protects from Mosquito.

pain meds for the red Days are of course a must have too and well when I go in to the forrest I Always Carry's soap and some kind of paper.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 09:32:53 AM »
Okay, I'm always a day late and a dollar short! :-[

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:29:59 PM »
OK, not a Lady, but: Varginna, if by pain meds for the red days, you mean something like 'Midol' or 'Pampirin', let me assure you they also work for tension headaches [which can be debilitating]. Like your husband, I, too, believe in multitasking.

soupbone

PS: I see you are from the north of Sweden - don't worry about "The Right Word"; we'll figure it out. Your input from the Swedish  perspective are most appreciated. --s.

Offline TheBippy

• Prepper
  • Mad Science for the rest of us
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »
Raspberry plants- they don't grow well in my area, but rasperry leaf tea is really, really useful for women.

A copy of Ina May's book, or any other book about non-medical childbirth or midwifery- because in a long term down situation, babies are still going to get born.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:30:09 AM »
Raspberry plants- they don't grow well in my area, but rasperry leaf tea is really, really useful for women.

A copy of Ina May's book, or any other book about non-medical childbirth or midwifery- because in a long term down situation, babies are still going to get born.
Do you know how raspberry leaf tea helps? I know that it has something to do with childbirth but not anything more (I like to have one or to good sources Before I use herbal medicine).

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 07:09:32 AM »
Do you know how raspberry leaf tea helps? I know that it has something to do with childbirth but not anything more (I like to have one or to good sources Before I use herbal medicine).

It tones the uterus, and strengthens the uterus and pelvic muscles. In labor it can shorten the time. If you have cramps, it will relieve them.

Cedar

Offline TheBippy

• Prepper
  • Mad Science for the rest of us
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 11:48:16 AM »
Rasperry leaf tea is a real life saver. It's stopped me from killing my PMS-ing 13 year old daughter. :D Okay, maybe I was PMSing too.

It seems to be the only thing other than really high levels of ibuprofen that even slows down my cramps, when they get bad.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 01:24:08 PM »
Keep an extra month's supply of birth control, if you use it. You'll probably have to get it directly from the prescribing clinic as pharmacies will usually only give you one refill every 28 days.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 11:38:23 PM »
Keep an extra month's supply of birth control, if you use it. You'll probably have to get it directly from the prescribing clinic as pharmacies will usually only give you one refill every 28 days.
oh when I was on the stuff you Always get out 3 mounts not one (and a prescription for a year so I actually could have a year Worth of birthcontrol pills at home, but now I don't use them)

cedar: thanks

TheBippy: oh I Always use Lady's Mantle against PMS (and you can use it for menopausal problems, against wrinkles, to wash small Cuts especially if they don't want to Close etc etc) but then I normally just use it for the mood part of PMS I can't be 100% that it works for the pain.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 11:49:41 PM »
You know.. one of the things I would really want to have as a prep is a good quality hand/face lotion. Working outside all the time, washing my hands in the sink all the time,  working on whatever project I am doing in the sink which requires water, clay mud sucking the moisture out of my hands, sun/wind exposure to the face. It prevents cracking, chapping, makes you feel human again at the end of the day.

Cedar - who should buy stock in a certain brand she likes

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:40 PM »
You know.. one of the things I would really want to have as a prep is a good quality hand/face lotion. Working outside all the time, washing my hands in the sink all the time,  working on whatever project I am doing in the sink which requires water, clay mud sucking the moisture out of my hands, sun/wind exposure to the face. It prevents cracking, chapping, makes you feel human again at the end of the day.

that's why me and my husband learned to make our own last weekend (and scampoo and soap)  :)
We believe that to be a really important prep since we both have problem with eczema (?) and I made my lotion/ointment so that it helps when I get White fingers from Reynauds (of witch with doctors can't help)

we have also learned to make resin ointment witch is unbelievable effective on small Cuts and so.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 05:17:39 AM »

I use this on my hands:
http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/bath-body-care/hands-feet/hand-care-products/hemp-hand-protector.aspx
It's the only thing I've found that will prevent my hands from cracking in the winter and doesn't leave a waxy residue. I often do a sugar scrub before I use it, and it lasts a couple days that way. I live near an outlet and they often have special deals on it.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 06:01:33 AM »
I make my own lotion, except my face lotion.... I have a favorite and it is expensive but since I use a dab about the size of a rolled oat, it lasts a long time.  But I do keep 1-2 bottles in storage waiting.
the problem with stocking up too much on a good quality lotion is that it is a fat-based product, and as such, can and will go rancid after too long.

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 06:12:32 AM »
I make my own lotion, except my face lotion.... I have a favorite and it is expensive but since I use a dab about the size of a rolled oat, it lasts a long time.  But I do keep 1-2 bottles in storage waiting.
the problem with stocking up too much on a good quality lotion is that it is a fat-based product, and as such, can and will go rancid after too long.
that's why me and my husband will try to learn to make most of it from scratch. Maby we wont make it from scratch all the time but if we learn we might be able to do it in more problematic times. (for example you're sopposed to be able to make resin ointment out of butter instead of oil)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2013, 07:31:18 AM »

Often I make my own too. With those and the good quality ones (Z buys me time to time as he knows I like it), I keep them in the refrigerator and they last a long long time. I use a clean spoon and only refill a 2 oz container at a time.

Cedar

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2013, 07:53:59 AM »
Often I make my own too. With those and the good quality ones (Z buys me time to time as he knows I like it), I keep them in the refrigerator and they last a long long time. I use a clean spoon and only refill a 2 oz container at a time.

Cedar
Do you use preservatives? the women holding the course use them but she also recommended that we all should experiment at home later.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2013, 08:01:11 AM »
If anything just Vit E.. but rarely.

Cedar

Offline Jerry D Young

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 02:07:00 PM »
Feminine needs for long term disasters

Go-Girl/Lady J female urine diverter

Hygiene needs: Packaged/reusable sanitary napkins/Diva Cup/natural sponges/cleansing wipes/etc.

UTI products: Pyridium/powdered cranberry juice or pills/apple cider vinegar

Advil/Midol/Pamprin/Ibuprofen/acetaminophen

4x toilet paper

Privacy means (curtains/enclosures/screens/etc.)/personal space/personal closet or dresser

Sweats/loose clothing, large robes, large towels, various sizes plain underwear, sports bras

Pregnancy prevention supplies

Baby care supplies

Expedient shower methods: sun shower bags/MSR bag shower/pressure sprayer/campers propane shower

Body care products: razors/deodorant/hand lotion/face lotion/body lotion

Facial products: baby wipes (no fragrance/hypo-allergenic/for sensitive skin)/Pre-moistened facial cleansers

Hair care products: Non-lathering soap/shampoo/dry shampoo/baby powder/bentonite clay/brushes/combs/tie backs/bandannas/baseball caps, etc.

Lip care products: Chapstick, Lip balm, etc.

Nail care products: nail files/emery boards/etc.

Multiple hot water bottles

Any medical necessities for allergies, prescriptions, etc.

Comfort items: Additional coffee/Chocolate in several forms/salty snacks/soothing teas (chamomile, lavender, peppermint, etc.)

Anti-boredom materials: knitting/crochet/sewing/novels/movies/story teller/sketching tools

Strong lights and reading glasses

Everything set up for easy cleaning/rubber gloves/aprons/

Just my opinion.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 10:35:25 PM »
I'm addicted to the Suave coco butter hand lotion because it smells like chocolate.  For face and other areas, virgin coconut oil works great.

~TG

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 11:24:37 PM »
I have never understood how a "Go-Girl/Lady J female urine diverter" would be practical (it seems sooo unhygienic) unless you would want to pose as a man (I get that in some situations you would want that, atleast i a weary populated area but when you need to do the other thing you need to "sit down" anyway

and well, I wouldn't care about a nailfile if the shit hits the fan, you can keep your Nails short with a knife.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2013, 10:22:00 AM »
I think sturdy footwear is another one.  Most women I know do not own a good pair of work boots. 
As I'm changing my oil today, this reminded me of a similar one: a good pair of work pants. I have 2 pairs of these Carhartts. They're pricey and hard to find, but have been indispensable to me. Most Carhartt dealers can special order them if they're not in stock (which they never are).

Along with that, a good quality, full set of hand tools is invaluable, especially if you live alone. Best graduation gift I ever got (thanks, dad).

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2013, 11:40:38 AM »
I just use these at home or in the forest http://www.engelsons.se/byxor-1/dam/bobergs-byxan
one good thing is to have different seizes, both so that you can have extra clothes under for when it's Cold and for when you go up or down in weight (both me and my husband have a "summer weight" and a "Winter weight" because you loose alot of weight in the summer working since almost all work is in the summer.

oh wool clothing is important if you live in a Cold climate too but that goes for both man and women

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2013, 06:37:55 AM »
while I know that some men sew, and many women don't, traditionally sewing (and mending) is considered an art practiced by the woman of the home.  With that in mind, and already knowing how to sew, one of the preps I've been working on is to secure basic patterns for shirts, pants etc for children, women and men.  It seems like something that if you got to the point where you actually really needed them they would be hard to find. 

I picked up quite a few at Joann Fabrics on "pattern sale days"--in the process finding that there are almost NO patterns these days for boys or men anymore, and you can't find a lingerie pattern unless you go online (Kwiksew has bras).  But I also found a Canadian company Jalie that has patterns where the sizes included run from a size 2 toddler all the way up to a woman's 22 in a single pattern--something like 27 sizes for each pattern I think.  Of course you'd have to trace the pieces before using them in order to preserve the pattern, but for around $15 US each I thought they were a good prep to have.  I got a coat, basic jeans, t-shirts (which included 4 different necks and 3 sleeve lengths) and one other kind of shirt. 

Here's an example of the jeans pattern:  Jalie Stretch Jeans pattern 2T-22Womens

I've also been stocking up on a bit of extra thread, needles, sewing machine needles and buttons

Offline Varginna

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Mörtangård
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2013, 08:59:56 AM »
oh you remind me, I/we have bought a sewing machine that's not powered by electricity (the old kind you know) that actually works (they are popular are ornamental but few actually works)

Offline perihelion

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2013, 02:28:22 PM »
I have never understood how a "Go-Girl/Lady J female urine diverter" would be practical (it seems sooo unhygienic) unless you would want to pose as a man (I get that in some situations you would want that, atleast i a weary populated area but when you need to do the other thing you need to "sit down" anyway

I have the P-Style, which is really easy to clean out with a disinfecting wipe if you don't have soap and water. I keep one in my bug-out bag and one in my glove compartment. I think it's really important. If I only need to pee and have to do so in the woods, on the side of the road, etc., there is NO WAY I would make myself more vulnerable than I have to by pulling my pants and underwear down and squatting. It's also useful if you come upon a particularly gross toilet seat that you don't want to sit on. I hover, personally, but I know not all women can do that.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2013, 02:42:53 PM »
oh wool clothing is important if you live in a Cold climate too but that goes for both man and women
I constantly comb thrift stores for wool sweaters/jackets. I can usually find at least one per trip to the Goodwill stores around here. Most of them are in great condition and under $10. Men's are a bit harder to find, but my boyfriend has found a couple.

Offline Kate Change

• Prepper
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2013, 01:52:42 PM »
I love carhartts, sometimes the mens are cheaper and they'll fit all but the smallest women.  (I'm a size 6 and can wear the 28s or 30s comfortably).  I think if you were below a size 4, you might be out of luck on the men's sizing.  I haven't owned a pair of womens (since I've always had the men's on sale) so I can't say if the fit is more comfortable, but I'm not usually making a fashion statement in the carhartts and I've never had any complaints.  Either way, they've been the most durable pants I've owned, so I'll second that recommendation.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2013, 02:43:28 PM »
I love carhartts, sometimes the mens are cheaper and they'll fit all but the smallest women.  (I'm a size 6 and can wear the 28s or 30s comfortably).  I think if you were below a size 4, you might be out of luck on the men's sizing.  I haven't owned a pair of womens (since I've always had the men's on sale) so I can't say if the fit is more comfortable, but I'm not usually making a fashion statement in the carhartts and I've never had any complaints.  Either way, they've been the most durable pants I've owned, so I'll second that recommendation.
Yep, I'm one of those smallest (I wear a 4x32 in those pants I posted). I've tried on the men's before but they really look comical on me, and would be a hindrance to doing anything useful. It sucks because then I have to fork over the extra money for less fabric  >:(

I can however, wear men's shoe size 7, so I sometimes find good deals that way for hiking boots.