Author Topic: Motivating my wife  (Read 16459 times)

Offline Teutonus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Motivating my wife
« on: November 04, 2013, 09:36:19 AM »
My wife is comfortable with my prepping but doesn't exactly share my concerns. My reasoning makes sense to her but she can't imagine things falling apart economically or socially. As I see it, she suffers from normalcy bias. She believes that everything will carry on as it always has.

Do you all know of any videos or other materials that might raise her level of concern? I don't wish to frighten her. Rather, it would be great if we could work as a team in preparing for the future.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: Motivating my wife
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »
welcome to the forums teutonus! i would suggest checking out the 'flip that spouse' thread here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3239.0

there is a lot of good info and suggestions in the thread.

if she's OK with you prepping i'd say you're doing better than a lot of folks. i would stay the course, and use soft examples when they seem appropriate, but don't force feed her anything, that will only hurt your efforts.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2013, 10:43:33 AM »
As far as "raising her concern" goes, tread with caution. When people get all up in my face about society collapsing and all hell breaking loose, I just dismiss them as fringe nutjobs. I can tell you that as a woman, who is in a long-term relationship and whose boyfriend got into prepping first, your statements above come off as a bit condescending. I'm sure it is not meant that way. It's just the way they are written. You can't make someone to change their entire belief system by showing them videos and books. As TWH pointed out, it may end up having the opposite effect that you desire.

Over the last few months, I've come to realize that I was always a "prepper"; I enjoy being able to do things for myself without help from anyone. I generally don't trust people that provide my food, work on my car, fix my computer, or handle my money. Some of it I'm willing to accept as necessary evil, other parts I'm working towards self-sufficiency.

I needed to come to that conclusion of my own volition, or at least what I think is my own volition :P If she's already on the bandwagon, so to speak, she'll need to come to her own conclusions. I would say that gentle nudging coupled with calm, open discussion is the key. Be prepared to listen to her point of view, and take it into consideration instead of dismissing it.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 07:01:25 PM »
Independence and self-reliance have always been American traits (up until recently).  Prepping is the embodiment of that spirit.  I doubt you are going to be able to "flip" someone who can't see what is happening. 

299 Days is the best book I have read so far.  Lights Out is the other one.  One Second After would be the third.  You might try watching the Nat Geo movie, American Blackout with her.  It is only 1 1/2 hrs if you watch it on Youtube. 

Let us know how it goes.

Offline Oxymoron02

• Prepper
  • Caveat Lector
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 09:36:09 PM »
I second reading flip that spouse.

Honestly, what got my husband on board was a series, over several years, of small personal emergencies that necessitated relying on my preps.

I think it helped that I don't push and every prep he ever questioned I had a sane response for, something a logical person would accept as not weird.  "I've already put the grill away for the year, why did you buy more fuel?"  Last year, we lost power for 36 hours, fuel was nowhere to be found locally, this year, I'd like to be able to cook if that happens.  Worst case scenario, it's there for next summer.  "Oh, that makes sense."  Baby steps.

Offline craftyam

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 08:22:00 AM »
I am on board with prepping and most of the time share my husbands concerns, but he kind of goes at it like a head trip. " Like inform yourself. this is interesting, you need to know this" but there is only so much I can handle at a time. I get too depressed and despairing of our government and our future.  I am more of a what can I do about it person, an action person.  That is why I like tsp because jack doesn't just talk about the doom and gloom but also what you can do.  The problem then is for my husband because then there is a lot more projects I think we need to do for ourselves, rabbits, chicken garden, aquaculture, permacullture ( swales, ponds, more plants, more water).  I get carried away in the opposite direction... do too much all at once (or want to).  I am sure there is a happy middle there somewhere. As a woman I feel responsible (doesn't mean I am) for everyone in my family, grown kids, grandkids,  parents etc. When the shtf we are where they will come, mostly unprepared.  The thought of trying to manage all personalities, food likes or dislikes, making sure everyone is situated with what they need, not having the right stuff, worry about all that is going on is sometimes very overwhelming.  It is not like I want to stick my head back in the sand, but it is a lot of emotion that sometimes is to much to deal with. So sometimes I just plug my ears and say that is enough for now until I do something productive. One thing at a time completed like in the 13 skills gives me more balance.  It is all about contact and withdrawal in a productive way, without going numb or panicking.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2013, 08:30:54 AM »
I am on board with prepping and most of the time share my husbands concerns, but he kind of goes at it like a head trip. " Like inform yourself. this is interesting, you need to know this" but there is only so much I can handle at a time. I get too depressed and despairing of our government and our future.  I am more of a what can I do about it person, an action person.  That is why I like tsp because jack doesn't just talk about the doom and gloom but also what you can do.  The problem then is for my husband because then there is a lot more projects I think we need to do for ourselves, rabbits, chicken garden, aquaculture, permacullture ( swales, ponds, more plants, more water).  I get carried away in the opposite direction... do too much all at once (or want to).  I am sure there is a happy middle there somewhere. As a woman I feel responsible (doesn't mean I am) for everyone in my family, grown kids, grandkids,  parents etc. When the shtf we are where they will come, mostly unprepared.  The thought of trying to manage all personalities, food likes or dislikes, making sure everyone is situated with what they need, not having the right stuff, worry about all that is going on is sometimes very overwhelming.  It is not like I want to stick my head back in the sand, but it is a lot of emotion that sometimes is to much to deal with. So sometimes I just plug my ears and say that is enough for now until I do something productive. One thing at a time completed like in the 13 skills gives me more balance.  It is all about contact and withdrawal in a productive way, without going numb or panicking.

+1 for totally expressing my feelings.  I get so overwhelmed with the news and the absolute disaster we are headed to as a country, and it is a real test of my faith to remember that the Lord is in charge, and I cannot change the world, just prepare myself and my little world for that which is to come.

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2013, 09:03:02 AM »
I get so overwhelmed with the news and the absolute disaster we are headed to as a country, and it is a real test of my faith to remember that the Lord is in charge, and I cannot change the world, just prepare myself and my little world for that which is to come.

It is worse than you know.  There are things that happen every day that would throw the public into a panic if they knew about it.  Most people just go about their lives blissfully ignorant.  Same with crime.  Most people have no idea how bad crime is and most of it is driven by drugs.  Most people have no idea how bad the drug cartels are or how they have moved into American cities.  They think they aren't affected.  I can PM you if you want examples.

But, thankfully, God IS in control.  That is the only reason I can sleep at night. 

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2013, 10:09:29 AM »

YES, wow, can you just write all of my posts for me from now on? 

Offline Kansas Terri

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 11:19:21 AM »
Does your wife do the grocery shopping? Because, the food inflation the last few years have been HORRIBLE, and if she shops then she knows it.

I have saved a great deal of money over the years by buying the loss leader sales and putting the food in my pantry. Canned vegetables used to be 35 cents a can: now they range from 75 cents each to $1.25, and so forth.

But, every store advertizes some food that they are selling for less than what they paid. If it is something that we like, then I buy as much as they will allow and it goes into my pantry, so that we no longer have to pay full price on it. Most things go on sale about every 3 months.

SO! my pantry has a good assortment of canned meats and canned vegetables, dried fruit, cake mixes and oil, dried fruit and spagetti sauce, soy sauce, and so forth. Also there is laundry soap and TP and so forth and so on.

The pantry has saved me $10-$20 a week, depending on whether you count the loss-leader meat. I spend half of the savings to buy yet more food for the pantry and the other half goes in my pocket.

I call it a pantry because I do not want the kids to let people know I am a prepper. Personally I see no difference between preps and a pantry, anyways, especially since I have added some buckets of rice that have been packed with O2 absorbers.

A pantry is a wise fiscal choice, and your wife might be happier to keep it stocked and watch for sales if you call it a pantry. Ours has cost us nothing because the start-up costs have been paid back many times over, and I rarely pay full price for food.

Instead of raising her concern, you might talk about saving on groceries, how a vegetable garden gives food for pennies, how convenient it is to have water stored if there is a boil order, and so forth.

By the way, stored water tastes like plastic but it sure beats boiling it! When a person gets thirsty they would rather have a pitcher of water than a saucepan, and then wait for it to cool.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2013, 11:28:29 AM by Kansas Terri »

endurance

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 12:16:48 PM »
I've been through some of the same challenges, but now I've come to realize that it's a blessing.  Trying to force someone to swallow the red pill is kind of a dick move in my opinion.  Life is a struggle no matter what.  We all have a lot on our plates regardless of whether you've decided to look reality straight in the face or live in la-la land. 

My wife is an ICU nurse and EMT on our volunteer fire department.  She sees plenty of reality.  She deals with grieving families and folks who just got their lives yanked out from under them on a daily basis.  So what, now I'm going to start talking to her every night and try to get her to understand that in 10 or 20 years (or maybe tomorrow) all this is going to be gone and we'll be lucky to have enough food to feed our family?  No way.  She's a happy person.  I love her attitude and how she embraces life.  I prep, she knows I prep, she even appreciates that I prep.  Sometimes she'll even reach into the small of my back to make sure I'm carrying if we're in a sketchy part of town.  I've got it about as good as a man can, so why would I want to change her?

Sure, we talk about why I wanted the land we got, but she wanted it for horses, I wanted it for location and gardening.  She gives me 10-15 yards of manure for my garden every year, I give her enough veggies to cut our shopping bill by 20% every summer.  She puts up with three guns in the bedroom (one for the bears, one for the varmints, and one for the two-leggers), I put up with horse tack and hay taking up our entire storage shed.  Marriage is all about appreciating what each of you brings to the table and accepting that there will be differences.  I love the hell out of my wife and she's not a prepper.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 04:50:31 PM »
I get so overwhelmed with the news and the absolute disaster we are headed to as a country, and it is a real test of my faith to remember that the Lord is in charge, and I cannot change the world, just prepare myself and my little world for that which is to come.

Wow, that's perfect.  It's exactly what I need to remember.  I think I'm going to print this out and tape it to my mirror.

Offline ADK Dave

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2013, 05:21:06 PM »
I'm learning that I cannot talk to my wife about the doom that's coming. She is stressed with a serious health concern, and any talk of SHTF scenarios is met with massive resistance. That said- I prep. I have taken on more responsibility with household tasks- shopping, meal planning & making, cleaning out the junk we've collected, de-cluttering our lives, and getting more projects done around the house. As I lead by example it is my hope she will appreciate the lifestyle change I am hinting at making, which involves buying a "get away camp land" not too far from home. We are mostly debt free (home paid for, no cc debt, only loans are vehicles), and pretty darned good at budgeting our finances.

I'm laid off right now, and this is one of those emergency moments we are sorta prepped for because of our financial situation. Job prospects are shaky, but I'm faithful that will be resolved.

We already buy at our local farmers market (a really big one here), we already have a small garden, and we already can/freeze not for emergency but for quality of life. That's how I'm tackling this project... it's not a survival plan... it's all about quality of life. All my plans involve making sure my projects are doable and practical... and I'm confident she'll be on board as long as it's NOT about preparing for the zombie apocalypse... and if it's not my idea alone. In fact, if it's her idea all the better.

nelson96

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2013, 05:43:03 PM »
it's all about quality of life. All my plans involve making sure my projects are doable and practical

That's what many of us are doing on a day to day basis, for years now.  It's only been called "prepping" in the last few years, that I'm aware of.  In my experience, those who call themselves "preppers" are not actually prepared, they are using the idea of prepping as a way to buy cool stuff they'll never use and do not actually change their way of life to improve it today. . . .  It sounds like you're on the right track.

Offline ADK Dave

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2013, 07:19:57 PM »
That's what many of us are doing on a day to day basis, for years now.  It's only been called "prepping" in the last few years, that I'm aware of.  In my experience, those who call themselves "preppers" are not actually prepared, they are using the idea of prepping as a way to buy cool stuff they'll never use and do not actually change their way of life to improve it today. . . .  It sounds like you're on the right track.
Thanks, positive feedback does help... especially for those of us without the full support of a spouse.
Your comment reminds me of some of the hobbies I started over the years, like woodworking. I saw the TV shows and bought the tools... just never used it enough to really become a "woodworker". I've learned I can remodel, but not build cabinets. Then I got back into motorcycles, got bit by the long distance riding bug, and became a successful LD rider. Learning what skills I enjoy to improve on is important.

Funny thing, I'm getting closer to trading in the big street bike for a small dirt bike or maybe a used tractor!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2013, 07:42:59 PM »
I get so overwhelmed with the news and the absolute disaster we are headed to as a country,

I don't get overwhelmed about the news, as I do not take not personally. Every chance I get,  I do look at the news as I want to watch trends. But I do not get too excited about it, but do keep track so I do not get blindsided by it if something huge does happen, which has been building for months and then only suddenly does it make CNN (which I consider the last one in news), so it is news.

I don't stress about it as I cannot do anything to prevent it.. whatever 'it' is. But I am pretty good about picking up the lemons which fall and make something out of them. So when there is something to deal with, then I will deal with it.

Over the years I have had to get a few people on board. Usually money savings and food taste is the two which win them over.

One video I suggest is:
"Money is Debt".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqvKjsIxT_8

"The Collapse of The American Dream Explained in Animation"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mII9NZ8MMVM

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2013, 08:42:00 AM »
I don't get overwhelmed about the news, as I do not take not personally. Every chance I get,  I do look at the news as I want to watch trends. But I do not get too excited about it, but do keep track so I do not get blindsided by it if something huge does happen, which has been building for months and then only suddenly does it make CNN (which I consider the last one in news), so it is news.
You do realize that being a realist makes you unusual in this society, don't you?  Of course that's just one of many reasons that you're so valued in this community, Cedar.  Keep being you. ;)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2013, 10:02:15 AM »
Well.. I knew I danced to a different drummer anyway Endurance.

Cedar

Offline MexicanJoe

• Prepper
  • Prolific Prepper Sponge
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2013, 06:19:12 PM »
Independence and self-reliance have always been American traits (up until recently).  Prepping is the embodiment of that spirit.  I doubt you are going to be able to "flip" someone who can't see what is happening. 

299 Days is the best book I have read so far.  Lights Out is the other one.  One Second After would be the third.  You might try watching the Nat Geo movie, American Blackout with her.  It is only 1 1/2 hrs if you watch it on Youtube. 

Let us know how it goes.

Well said. I also say try to involve her in small bites. Canning, Hunting, fishing, shooting, camping, hiking, animal rearing and such. These are all prep skills. Our grandparents just called them living. We are so Microchip oriented we have to reteach ourselves the old school ways.
Its very empowering.
After she has gotten into a few of these fun things a light will come on.

Offline eronious

• Prepper
  • Anything worth doing is worth overdoing.
    • Homesteading the Front Range
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 01:35:07 PM »
So I had to bring my husband along slowly, which I think is kind of weird.  He was very resistant and loved me through my crazy.  He's far more interested in sports cars than hugelkulture beds.

I got one really good piece of advice early on though:  What piece is he already interested in?  He loves guns of course.  He grew up in the hinterlands of Michigan, so hunted all his life.  I put him in charge of the arsenal and nodded sagely every time he made a choice on a new piece of hardware and insisted he teach me everything he knew.  I encouraged him in this and told him I was glad he had this knowledge that I didn't have and explained how I felt like we made a better team because our spheres of experience were pretty different. 

The next step I took was a little sneakier.  Every time he became outraged at something a politician was doing, I (again) nodded sagely and told him that this was another example of why I was so glad he was smart enough to take our safety into his own hands.  I explained that it seemed inevitable to me that at some point, the nutballs on the corner with a "The End Is Nigh" sign would statistically eventually be right, and I felt so much better about our likelihood of surviving anything because we were taking the right steps.  Especially when something came up about grocery stores emptying out in a matter of hours or riots in cities or crime in impoverished neighborhoods or anything really, I would ask him what he what he thought we should do if something like that happened to us.  I told him that I loved him too much for him to go out on raids (he was one of those crazy red dawn goofs when I met him) and would be very sad if he were killed and suddenly there was some mountain house in the basement. 

Now we are looking at land and he's actively concerned about how water flows on the landscape and what kinds of foods grow that don't look like anything a ravening horde would recognize in a nice traditional garden.  He's helping me take care of our starter chickens.  He's teaching me to ice fish and hunt.

So my best advice would be to take it slowly.  Let any concern she may have about the future be answered with something permanent and sustainable and healthy and even fun.  Plan your futures together for "early retirement" by staying out of debt, growing your own food and in general having as few inputs to your life together as possible.  All these things will make her a prepper in all but name and you will actually be hearing her concerns rather than forcing your own.  Women respond far better to that approach I think.  I bet most people do.  A touch of sensitivity and encouragement goes a long way.  I'd say this transformation in my hubby has come over about a 5 year span, during which we were anything but idle, paying off bills and saving for our forever home, getting some weapons and food stocks, etc.  Now he's pretty much fully on board and happy so.  And there were really no fights or the inevitable resistance to learning from your spouse. 

So what does she already like and does she get upset about the news?  Start there!

osubuckeye4

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 03:54:49 PM »
I got one really good piece of advice early on though:  What piece is he already interested in?

^^this

Finding out what makes someone tick is the key to motivating them.

Use their interests to steer them towards the goal you have in mind for them.

Maybe your wife really likes a certain band/musician. Look up their tour schedule, see when they are in your area. Start putting aside a little money every week so you can buy a ticket to see them perform (maybe they are out of town so you have to save up for gas/hotel/meals).

Then, after you go to the show, keep the fund going so that down the road you can see someone else you would like to see perform. Over time, you will have the idea of setting money aside/saving engrained into her brain, so, when you start saving up for bigger things, it won't come as such a shock to her. (just an example)

It's not so much about "tricking" them, but it's more about taking one of their interests and tieing it into prepping/responsiblity.

I kind of did this with my wife. We went to Cancun on our honeymoney to a nice all-inclusive resort and she loved it. I decided that was my "in" to get her in a saving mindset. I said, "what if we could do this every year? Wouldn't it be nice?". She agreed it would... I got her to start putting $50 a month every month into the "trip fund". Then it slowly grew, now she gives me $300 at the start of every month and I put it in a joint account for us.

Then, I get to do something I like... finding the best deal possible. I scour the travel sites year-round and look for the best deal. Whatever is left over from the "Trip fund", I put towards the "house fund" (which never previously existed)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 04:04:56 PM by osubuckeye4 »

Offline MexicanJoe

• Prepper
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2014, 04:02:49 PM »
Well done eronious

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2014, 08:50:34 PM »
Honestly, what got my husband on board was a series, over several years, of small personal emergencies that necessitated relying on my preps.

This...

Like St. Francis said, "Preach the Gospel at all times... if necessary, use words."  Do your thing, build and grow your preps over time.  Life will happen, and she will see first hand how your preps save you guys/makes life easier in those micro-crises like water or power go out for a few hours.  I'm convinced prepping is one of those things you can not sell or logic someone into.  Prepping is a mindset, a culture.  It has to be sought.

Most people have no idea how bad the drug cartels are or how they have moved into American cities.  They think they aren't affected.

Lol, damn right!!  These dudes are scary critters.  At least they generally don't act up much over here... Bad for business...

Offline Eagles mom

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 03:31:41 PM »
I think the way my husband introduced me to camping could give a few insights to men who want to introduce their wife to prepping.

His mother never enjoyed camping because it was so much work, so he treated me like a queen. He set up the tent, cooked all the meals and did the clean up. You won't be surprised to know I liked camping. Eventually I wanted to learn to use the camp stove so I could make coffee instead of waiting for him to wake up. From that I learned that I am capable, and now love every part of camping and finally got him to take me backpacking.

From that experience, I would suggest making prepping about her tastes and desires. When she runs out of her favorite shampoo, snacks, whatever, you magically have more in store. When you're shopping together, you suggest she buys an extra package of nylons or tube of lipstick so she doesn't run out. You have to be thinking loving thoughts, not ulterior motives. A well-loved woman comes to love her husband's quirks, especially when it's all about taking care of her.

After all, isn't that why we prepare? To take care of those we love?

Offline TwoStepsFarm

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2014, 03:30:13 PM »
My advice is to start her prepping on things you know will happen. I live in Vermont, so we need to deal with snow, ice, and wind from nature, job loss and food price spikes from the economy, and aging parents from the "get here right now, Dad's having a heart attack camp.

I am not as prepared for some disasters, because we started being very prepared for the most likely problems first. If an employees hits we might have a few issues, but snow and ice and no power doesn't phase us.

Oh, and tampons are a great entry, because I don't know many women that have not run out at just the worst time.

Finally, have her talk to the emergency planning people in your area, for what they would see as a minimal level and why. We see ours at the county fair, and listening to the disaster planning for your area can be a real eye opener.

Offline CKMe

• Survivor
  • Just trying to figure it out
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2014, 04:01:06 PM »
An easier in may be homesteading. There is a fine line between homesteading and prepping.

That would mean starting with canning, preserving, growing and drying, maybe making soap and coming up with alternative energy sources in the name of independence, not in the name of SHTF.

I was not interested in prepping at all when my husband started socking away things - it made him happy so I didn't quash it, but I didn't get involved either, that was his project, not mine.

Then I saw the value in being independent from having to buy everything. If I can my own I don't have to buy it, if I make my own soap I don't have to shell out the $$ for it. Once I started down that path of thought I realized how dependent I was to the system and that bothered me - I haven't looked back

That is the key though - what is the one thing that bothers her more than anything else and point out what prepping/homesteading can do to solve the issue.

Offline MexicanJoe

• Prepper
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
My advice is to start her prepping on things you know will happen. I live in Vermont, so we need to deal with snow, ice, and wind from nature, job loss and food price spikes from the economy, and aging parents from the "get here right now, Dad's having a heart attack camp.

I am not as prepared for some disasters, because we started being very prepared for the most likely problems first. If an employees hits we might have a few issues, but snow and ice and no power doesn't phase us.

Oh, and tampons are a great entry, because I don't know many women that have not run out at just the worst time.

Finally, have her talk to the emergency planning people in your area, for what they would see as a minimal level and why. We see ours at the county fair, and listening to the disaster planning for your area can be a real eye opener.

so true. In Kalifornia its earth quakes and fires and floods. But I still remember them. In Texas its heat and sudden ice and an occasional Tornado. So yes start out preparing for what is in your are.

preparations and what to prep for all have common threads. food, water, shelter and security. very few are outside of the common needs.

Offline MexicanJoe

• Prepper
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2014, 09:41:24 PM »
An easier in may be homesteading. There is a fine line between homesteading and prepping.

That would mean starting with canning, preserving, growing and drying, maybe making soap and coming up with alternative energy sources in the name of independence, not in the name of SHTF.

I was not interested in prepping at all when my husband started socking away things - it made him happy so I didn't quash it, but I didn't get involved either, that was his project, not mine.

Then I saw the value in being independent from having to buy everything. If I can my own I don't have to buy it, if I make my own soap I don't have to shell out the $$ for it. Once I started down that path of thought I realized how dependent I was to the system and that bothered me - I haven't looked back

That is the key though - what is the one thing that bothers her more than anything else and point out what prepping/homesteading can do to solve the issue.

Another great point.

I am a single man. I can and garden as well as do essential oils for medicinal uses. These are all typically female home stead topics. I have made them into my man advanced Preps.
I also constantly learn and teach every skill I can from weapons, tactics and survival living as well as any others, I am all over the spectrum.

Since I am single I have to do it all on my own.

To say Home steading and not Prepping is to say sun up and not sunrise. Its the view and semantics.

Offline oclisa

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2015, 12:43:29 AM »
I am going to second what a few of the women have already posted here. Get off the head trip.

In all honesty, I get a bit nauseous when I hear [usually] men pronounce with absolute certainty that the world as we know it will soon end. I call BS.  Don't try to employ the diversionary trick of prepping for the "everyday" emergency like hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes. It's almost like those everyday emergencies are the politically correct way of introducing prepping.  For those "everyday" emergencies, the serious prepping that I see on this website is over the top. So call a spade a spade - it's prepping for the Madmax (or maybe James Wesley Rawles) teotwawki. My enlightened opinion: Ain't gonna happen and we women know it. Just like we don't get quite as excited about sexual pornography, we don't get as riled up about disaster porn.  Don't tell your wife you know things are going to fall apart because really, you don't

If you want to bring your wife on board - she will be much more amenable to sustainable gardening,  permaculture, canning, etc. just for the sake  of it and the wonderful meaning those activities bring into our lives.

Offline MexicanJoe

• Prepper
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2015, 11:52:13 AM »
Well said Oclisa.

I started out with the EMP/CME possibility and my buddy was on the economic collapse thought.

We both have come to realize it's for as many possible problems as you can have.

Not just Total collapse.

I have seen more preps and home stead things work during the economy/money getting short, loss of jobs and such. Having that little bit of preparedness really helps.
On the other hand sweat equity is cheaper than cash. It's time spent and not money spent when money is tight.

Do it for all of the reasons.