Author Topic: The official 'post pics of your BOV thread'  (Read 189272 times)

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
Re: The official 'post pics of your BOV thread'
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2009, 12:27:44 PM »
My primary BOV... 4x4, Ham Radio, CB, Plenty of room for the dog boxes, kayak rack up top, bicycle storage atop dog boxes, 2 child seats, tool box with complete toolsets, shovel, ax, etc.   Basically, this is the family mover:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/operationorange/3715942808/#

And for those times when you just need something with a machine gun mount:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/operationorange/3077959798/#

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2009, 02:41:27 PM »
I do not have a BOV yet, unless you count my 03 Tacoma, but I'd like to get this support vehicle until I get a more permanent BOV

http://www.truenorth.me/models/

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #62 on: September 30, 2009, 03:38:25 PM »
I do not have a BOV yet, unless you count my 03 Tacoma, but I'd like to get this support vehicle until I get a more permanent BOV

http://www.truenorth.me/models/

Cool trailer.  Check out Adventure Trailers as well.  They make some great, truly off-road worthy trailers....

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/teardrop.html

Offline ForestDweller

• Prepper
« Reply #63 on: September 30, 2009, 04:14:51 PM »
Buddha, I am pretty jealous of that Ural of yours.

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #64 on: September 30, 2009, 08:56:23 PM »
Cool trailer.  Check out Adventure Trailers as well.  They make some great, truly off-road worthy trailers....

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/teardrop.html

Yeah those puppies ain't cheap though. Priced one out a while back, fully loaded they can get up to $10 g's.

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #65 on: September 30, 2009, 10:51:46 PM »
Buddha, I am pretty jealous of that Ural of yours.

:D thanks!

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #66 on: September 30, 2009, 10:53:04 PM »
Yeah those puppies ain't cheap though. Priced one out a while back, fully loaded they can get up to $10 g's.

No kidding.  Their new teardrop models (which I LOVE) start around $14.  That's a lot of dough for something so small.  I've never actually seen one in person, but I imagine the quality is high.

Offline dallasfromdallas

• Prepper
« Reply #67 on: October 01, 2009, 02:01:21 PM »
Just got this bobbed deuce the other day.  Picked up the trailer and winch for it yesterday.  It will be used primarily as a rolling billboard (4'x8' signs on the side rails) for our new Line-X dealership in Houston.  But, naturally, will second as our primary BOV should times get too tough to bug in.  Runs great and is fun to drive...for about an hour at a time.  

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #68 on: October 01, 2009, 02:04:23 PM »
^^^^ NICE!  I'd love to have a deuce someday.

Offline vicious

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Building a better future
    • Payne Country
« Reply #69 on: October 01, 2009, 02:59:46 PM »
I love how that's bobbed! Makes me want to get back behind the wheel of one. I also like the single rear wheel setup as opposed to the duals. Very nice. Too many projects, too little time.

Offline Dan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • MSB Founding Member
« Reply #70 on: October 01, 2009, 07:40:12 PM »
That thing is sweet!

Goatdog62

« Reply #71 on: October 02, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »
DfromD that deuce brings back all the memories. The cranky shifting when driving it (older versions) and the rattled kidneys when stuck in the back. Nice BOV. Certainly owns the road.

Offline ltlewis15

• Prepper
« Reply #72 on: October 03, 2009, 01:47:10 PM »
I have a 82 Mazda truck with that engine in it. I am thinking about re-powering a 89 Amigo with it.

They are strong motors but are not much on the speed side of things If you had a 5 speed backing it maybe it would be better.  I would like to have something like your thinking of building. Put it in a samari or maybe a newer 4x4 truck.. Good luck.

Offline ltlewis15

• Prepper
« Reply #73 on: October 03, 2009, 01:50:42 PM »
:D thanks!

Yes I like your motor bike, where did you find something like that?

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2009, 12:05:32 AM »
Yes I like your motor bike, where did you find something like that?

http://www.imz-ural.com/gearup/

It's a 2006 model I bought last year from a guy in Georgia.

Offline jdn181

• Survivor
« Reply #75 on: October 18, 2009, 07:16:19 PM »
Well, been awhile since I posted something here on the forums. If you all recall back in July my daily driver got totaled - http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=7563.msg81690#msg81690 - and since then I've been busy trying to find a new vehicle, getting ready for my first-born coming up in November, and slamed with projects at work. Back in late August I got a bead on a vehicle that would still give me my power fix that I had with my old souped-up monte carlo, yet still be a baby-hauler/BOV. I had to book a one-way ticket from Houston to Tampa Florida to get it, but the drive home was well worth it!

It now sports a full complement of BOV preps and armament. The previous owner warmed the engine over a bit so it puts down over 500hp. Let me tell you, for a 5,000lb vehicle this thing MOVES! I put an electric cutout on the exhaust and wired it to a remote key fob (pilfered some parts from the wreckage of the monte carlo) - now have "stealth" mode and "GTFO of the way" mode. Don't let the looks deceive you, this thing is all predator! The "deer in the headlights of an oncoming car" look on the faces of unsuspecting corvette drivers is testament to this. Tame enough for daily driving, but comes alive at 3/4 throttle.

So without further adeu, I give you the new Sliver Bullet...2006 Trailblazer SS (LS2 6.0L V8 Corvette Engine, Stealth Hi-Lift Camshaft, IEATSRT8 CA Intake, modified transmission).

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #76 on: October 19, 2009, 03:44:52 PM »
jdn181, what brand gas can is that you have mounted in the back.  Not sure I've seen that one before.  Any issue with fumes inside the cabin?

Offline jdn181

• Survivor
« Reply #77 on: October 19, 2009, 06:42:05 PM »
It's a Blitz Enviro-Flow 5gal can. http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Containment/5GMEF.html

No problems with it whatsoever. Great can. Robust as all hell. I bought a couple of the holders http://www.blitzusa.com/products/fuel/Accessories/pfamcc.htm to hold the can and the 5gal GI water jug. (Water jug fits perfectly!).

My only complaint is the Blitz can comes with a cheap, chinese POS, nozzle which prompted me to do something a little different. I recently sold the fuel tank of the Monte Carlo, but kept the two in-tank Walbro 255lph fuel pumps. I bought a 10ft section of 3/8" rubber fuel hose, and then constructed a 10ft wiring harness with battery clamps on the other side. Makes a handy-dandy fuel xfer pump. I just stick the fuel pump into the Blitz Can, route the hose into the truck's fuel inlet, and then connect the harness to the truck's battery with the battery clamps. The pump drains the Blitz can in about 6mins. Afterwards the xfer pump setup goes back into a sealed 30cal ammo can so there's no fumes. The Blitz can seals really well - been sitting in my truck in the South Texas heat all day today and not a hint of gas smell in the cabin.

And I know a few of you guys are rolling your eyes at me routing live electrical wires into the blitz can. "Holy shit! That's a bomb dude!". Not true. The same thing is going on with EVERY fuel injected car on the road right now. How many of those pop off like roman candles? The wiring harness is covered in heavy duty wire loom to keep the wires from abraiding on the edges of the fuel can. Worst case scenario, the wires short across each other where they contact the edge of the fuel can (after many uses at that, which is highly improbable), lights off the fumes inside the can, and you get a little POP. The opening in the fuel can is so large that any internal pressure will vent before the can builds up enough pressure to burst.

Offline nafterize

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Nate's Photo & Video Portfolio
« Reply #78 on: October 19, 2009, 06:55:16 PM »
Worst case scenario...

Please post pics of your missing eyebrows, should that ever occur.  ;)

That's great info, I've been looking at different gas cans to keep in my 4Runner. Just wasn't sure how any of them would hold up in the SoCal heat.

Do you have the holders bolted down or are they just for stability?

Offline jdn181

• Survivor
« Reply #79 on: October 19, 2009, 08:58:19 PM »
Mainly just for stability right now. I haven't drawn up the courage yet to make swiss cheese out of my new truck's floor. The Storm case is held down with two ratchet tie-down straps (and 1/2" steel cable & liberal use of Masterlock padlocks), and the strap you see wrapping around the box hold the fuel and gas can snuggly against the box. Haven't heard any rattling and nothing has moved an inch from where it was yesterday.

sarahluker

« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2009, 09:11:28 PM »
Jdn,
When I saw your pictures I had a feeling that you were from Houston.  I looked and it was so!  Funny how you can see the way a house is built and the details and have a hint about it's location.  Not trying to creep you out, I just found it interesting.  The bricks are just like our last home in Seabrook-placement and type.  BTW your BOV is great.  Do you also have other gas cans to take or are you limiting it to one?  I've thought about getting several and putting them in a rack on top of the car.  Kind of scared of looking like a target though.

Offline jdn181

• Survivor
« Reply #81 on: October 19, 2009, 10:38:54 PM »
Yeah, that brick color is pretty common around here. I'm up on the NW side of Houston.

As of right now I'm limiting it 5gal. If I keep my foot of the go-fast pedal I can manage 17mpg (same as my old Monte, so I'm use to it. Besides, work is only 9mi away...but takes 30mins in Houston traffic errg). Truck has a 22gal gas tank, and with the extra 5gal nets me an additional 85miles - so approx 458miles total. Gets me well into Western Texas Hill Country, past Dallas to the North, or well into Lousiana to the East. One more full fuel tank plus 5gal can gets me into Missouri (BOL). I have to BO with all the family members (Newborn, Wifey, 2 dogs, 1 cat, BOB and accessories) then the box relocates to the drivers-side rear fold-down seat, fuel cans in back with dogs behind cargo net, newborn in pass-side rear seat, wife on shotgun, and me behind the wheel. Truck will be running heavy at around 5600lbs, but should still manage 380 to 400mi nonstop. Would've never been possible with the old monte...so I guess the crash was a blessing in disguise.

The non-SS trailblazers and GMC envoys (all the same SUV platform) sport a roof-rack, but like you said I don't want to make myself a target either with gas tanks mounted to the top.

Offline vegwerx1

• Prepper
  • New Solar Power For My Freezer
    • Survival Solar Systems
« Reply #82 on: October 21, 2009, 02:59:15 AM »
Nice Truck  8)JD!

Offline Nophix

• Prepper
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2009, 10:31:17 AM »
My primary BOV... 4x4, Ham Radio, CB, Plenty of room for the dog boxes, kayak rack up top, bicycle storage atop dog boxes, 2 child seats, tool box with complete toolsets, shovel, ax, etc.   Basically, this is the family mover:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/operationorange/3715942808/#

And for those times when you just need something with a machine gun mount:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/operationorange/3077959798/#

That Ural kicks arse!! I'm a huge bike nut.

We have a basic, but useful and paid for Minivan for my work car and primary BOV if we need space.

Otherwise its the bikes or the car.

Bikes are a '94 Suzuki GSXR1100 with a stupid amount of work done. Most times I'd rather be fast and nimble than anything. The other bike is a '97 GSXR600.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2009, 11:24:51 PM »
As far as risk of fire in a fuel can/tank/etc., we used this stuff in our formula car -

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/422/12405/ITEM/EVOmx-Tank-Foam-Kit.aspx?SiteID=CSE_GBase_422&WT.mc_ID=80003&zmam=88421133&zmas=1&zmac=2&zmap=12405

Previously i've seen it called void-filler foam - the idea is that it takes up space in the tank and breaks up the fuel load into tiny droplets in the open cell foam - greatly increasing the flow rate from side to side and top to bottom as you brake/accelerate/turn/etc.  Used in aircraft for years now, planes have taken off, run missions, and landed while, for all intents and purposes, on fire, and the only damage was a warm fuel filler neck and some charred foam just inside the tank - this prevents air from entering the tank fast enough to cause a detonation condition, and fills headspace, also preventing detonation/deflagration - you basically have a wick much like the old coleman liquid fuel (white gas) stoves, as opposed to a bomb. We used it since we were putting a real live person on top of a fuel tank wrapped in an exhaust manifold that went from zero to 60 in 3.2 seconds. It solved fuel feed issues at high accelerations and prevented our driver from becoming shrapnel if the tank ever lit off. Tested a sample chunk of the foam in a metal water bottle with a little gasoline - it burned like an oil lamp on steroids, but did not explode, chuff, or otherwise go *poof*.

The 1% volume claim is entirely accurate, and if you do a google search for "tank filler foam" or "fuel tank foam" you will also find ping-pong ball sized pellets that you can drop into existing tanks instead of trying to cram a large chunk of specially shaped foam into your tank.

Due to the lower flow rate deal with the foam - it resists leakage from the tank - the surface tension just won't let the fuel run out of the tank as fast as if the foam weren't there, but we experienced no issues with our fuel pump flow rate being affected.

YMMV.

Orion

Offline Budro

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #85 on: January 12, 2010, 04:11:03 AM »
Here is a photo of my BOV from last summer. Over the Christmas holidays, I relocated the side mirrors from the doors to windshield bracket. I really need to look into adding some gas cans. At 17mpg highway, and around 7mpg off road, it drinks up the tiny 20gal tank fast.

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
My primary is a '94 Ford E-150 4x4 with 31"x10.5" tires. It also plows my driveway (most folks would call it a road, but to me, it's a driveway).
My Wifes truck is a '04 Dakota 4x4 with a matching Leer fiberglass cap.
Alternative Bov's

Offline Ramtoy

• Prepper
« Reply #87 on: January 30, 2010, 10:27:36 AM »

Good looking Weims

Offline buddha

• Prepper
    • OperationOrange
« Reply #88 on: February 01, 2010, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #89 on: February 01, 2010, 07:31:51 PM »