Author Topic: Tattler reusable canning jar flats  (Read 17524 times)

nelson96

Re: Tattler reusable canning jar flats
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2013, 06:55:18 PM »
Didn't you say you recalculated and I was 3 pounds short? I could take beef in trade instead and go to on your coast run next year*S*

Yes, I got your back.

Offline Nomad, 2nd

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »
Question: growing up (and my mother still does) the Ring was left on the jar... I see from the pictures that the tattler jars are all shown without rings.... Did they advertise you must do that to reuse the rings and I missed it? (I know some people take the rings off due to. Fear they will rust, but I might be moving the canned jars around a bit...)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2013, 10:53:27 PM »
You cannot tell on Tattlers if they have sealed unless you take the ring off 24 hrs later. I would be wary of putting the ring back on and making the lid pop off. I have moved full canning jars from one country to another, sans rings and a 4,100 ft elevation change and not one disaster with them.

Cedar

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2013, 09:16:45 AM »
My mom also kept her rings on.  I started taking mine off when I noticed that the rings were creating a false "seal" after they would have just unsealed.  And I noticed rust developing on my rings when I left them on.

I started using tattler years later.

Offline bruuuuuu

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 10:54:17 PM »
We just got done canning 32 pints of corned beef hash with the Tattler lids.  We've noticed (like a previous poster had written) that we have to leave extra headspace (especially with anything with fat in it) and have to go much more loose on the bands when tightening them.  That said, we've had only one failure of a lid seal in the last two years, past the first 24 hours.  Only about two lids have failed to seal in the first 24 hours, and we just put the jars in the 'fridge and used them up fairly quickly (store what you eat...).  We also tend to take our bands off, working off my assumption that some microscopic bits of moisture may get trapped under the rings and that they may rust more quickly as a result.  I tend to take the rings of my metal dome-lid canned jars for the same reason, so I just kept on doing so when I started using the Tattler lids.

We love the heck out of our Tattler lids and are slowly increasing our supply of them.  They've all seen two to three uses, with only one of the rubber gaskets lost to date, and no damaged gaskets or lids.

Offline GudrunHrafn

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Beyond Ragnarök
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 09:27:12 AM »
I just got my first box of them and will be trying them out this week. Its been good to read lots of first hand reactions. Thanks for the posts!

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »
finally got to use the Tattler lids today ;D
and yes the process is very different
first thing was their plastic [lid magnet does not work on them] :rofl: got me on that one
I followed the instructions for the most part and vacuum sealed 8 jelly jars of home made yogurt that Mrs SnoHam made last night
the food saver attachment does not fit over the metal bands so off with them
centered the lids on the jars [after wiping the mouth of the jar]and sealed
the bands went on after the vacuum process and back into the fridge they went
all jars sealed the first try and I will re check them tomorrow

SnoHam13

Offline trinharder

• Prepper
  • Ancient Garden Organic Farm
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2014, 12:17:08 PM »
I like them and have never had any problems with them. I'm hoping I actually have some extra money when they go on the next 50% off sale. I'll get all I can afford.

Offline suzysurvivor

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2014, 07:59:10 PM »
I used the tattlers for the first time yesterday canning salsa.  sadly, only 2 of the 6 sealed.  I will try them again but prolly not for a while. 

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2014, 12:36:49 PM »
using these for the first time today. canner just came off the heat. Usually when I can something I write the date and contents on the lid. But since these are re-usable, where do you label your jars when you use tattler lids?

nelson96

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2014, 12:38:49 PM »
using these for the first time today. canner just came off the heat. Usually when I can something I write the date and contents on the lid. But since these are re-usable, where do you label your jars when you use tattler lids?

On a piece of masking tape.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2014, 12:50:40 PM »

on another tattler thread, I asked the same question.  I think it was Cedar who said she uses stickers like these: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removable-Coding-Labels-Inches/dp/B000BMBU9C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398624471&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=avery+sot+sticker
I am also using them.  For 2013 it was green stickers, and on the sticker I wrote the item (peaches, chicken broth, etc).  For 2014, they are pink stickers, and for 2015 I have orange stickers.  I have even started using these stickers on 6-gal buckets I fill up and #10 cans I am buying.  The color makes it very obvious at a glance what year I obtained that food item.

Offline FrugalFannie

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2014, 01:34:11 PM »
on another tattler thread, I asked the same question.  I think it was Cedar who said she uses stickers like these: http://www.amazon.com/Avery-Removable-Coding-Labels-Inches/dp/B000BMBU9C/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1398624471&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=avery+sot+sticker
I am also using them.  For 2013 it was green stickers, and on the sticker I wrote the item (peaches, chicken broth, etc).  For 2014, they are pink stickers, and for 2015 I have orange stickers.  I have even started using these stickers on 6-gal buckets I fill up and #10 cans I am buying.  The color makes it very obvious at a glance what year I obtained that food item.

those are a little small for me write on I think. I like the color coding for the year. I also put the month on too. I definitely want a sticker that will stay on until I want it off and then come off easily. should be no problem right?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2014, 01:43:10 PM »
those are a little small for me write on I think. I like the color coding for the year. I also put the month on too. I definitely want a sticker that will stay on until I want it off and then come off easily. should be no problem right?

comes off easily if I get to it while it is still wet from the dishwasher; otherwise i have to scratch a bit.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2014, 02:00:45 PM »
I use a china marker, a wax pencil, and write on the tattler lid or the jar, and it easily washes off later.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2017, 10:13:53 AM »
old thread, but I have a pressing question.

Last night I had my 15-yo son put the seals and lids on the jars of chicken.  I did adjust the rings properly, and then canned 14 quarts of chicken.  I did everything right as usual, and this morning when I came down, I took the rings off the jars.  Everything was sealed.  But one jar had TWO red rings under the plastic lid.  It is sealed like the others.

Will it stay sealed?  I will use it first, but am curious if anyone else has had a problem like this?

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2017, 11:24:28 AM »
I accidentally did this and didnt notice for a long time, until oening the jr, but it was a jar of tomatoes so wasnt a worry. FOr chicken, I thinkI would just be ral careful and stick that jar in the fridge and eat it in the next month

Offline Black November

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lifetime MSB & PermaEthos Founding Member
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2017, 11:43:03 AM »
I like tattler lids, but I also still use standard lids too for the jars that I am giving away.

The last thing I want to do is give away or sell a tattler lid.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
I'd stick it in the fridge, eat it tomorrow, and get that lid back on something else with a single ring. I'd be curious if you can pick it up by the lid though. That is how I test my seals.

Cedar

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2017, 01:06:15 PM »
I'd stick it in the fridge, eat it tomorrow, and get that lid back on something else with a single ring. I'd be curious if you can pick it up by the lid though. That is how I test my seals.

Cedar

I CAN pick it up by the lid.  part of the curious nature of the thing

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2017, 01:36:15 PM »
It is probably good, but I would not give it the benefit of the doubt. Just use it and not waste it's space on a shelf, that something not questioned can be used.

Cedar

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »
I agree with Cedar...

@MS: You have been using the Tattler lids for quite awhile. I would love to hear your review and experience from the years past -- especially any tips you can give since I know it does involve a bit of a change from the other lids in methodology.

I found a bonanza sale on regular lids a few years back just when I was considering buying tattler lids and probably have a good 10-year supply still left. So... the incentive to buy the tattlers just hasn't yet hit me... I know the rubber on those lids won't last forever, but as long as I soak them well in hot water before using, they seem to be just fine. No problems with any of my recent canning...

However... all good things will eventually come to an end, so I'd like to eventually add tattler lids to my stock of canning supplies.

Offline Cyd

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2018, 10:23:53 AM »
I do not like them at all, after trying them off and on for at least 4 years.  I am lucky if I get 50% to seal.  I have tried all of the posted suggestions plus a few more, including less head space, very slow cooling, various methods for tightening and re-tightening, etc.  They just are not reliable and I cannot afford the time, aggravation, and potential loss of the food that I have canned.  I did not like dealing with the company either, as they kept dragging things out with having me try different techniques, then refused to give me a refund when I wanted to return them.  Although the Ball lids are as good as they were in the past, my seal failure with the Ball lids is still only about 1 out of 50.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2018, 06:55:03 AM »
Thanks for sharing your results, Cyd. It did seem to be a bit trickier operation. I'm surprised that you had so much trouble. Were you able to get the company to refund eventually? If not, you would probably be able to sell them here on the swap meet (don't remember how many posts are required, but once you have enough the swap meet will be visible to you).

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2018, 03:46:09 PM »
I bought 1 box of the tattler RM that we are going to try this year.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2018, 05:16:42 PM »
We are in transition right now (and nothing is growing to can here right now anyway), but I really do want to try them out, too.