Author Topic: Cedar's Garden 2014  (Read 123061 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Cedar's Garden 2014
« Reply #270 on: October 13, 2014, 11:18:56 AM »
Getting down to about 40-42F at night. It was 48F at 10am. I am going to start to have to think if I want to cloque rows. Or let nature take its course.

Cedar

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #271 on: January 10, 2016, 08:47:04 AM »
Hey Cedar.
Saw your plant list.
Looking to plant some perennial kale this year (if I can keep from the deer) in the Tx hill country.

Of the ones you mentioned, are red, white russian and siberian the perennial ones?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #272 on: January 10, 2016, 09:01:30 AM »
Of the ones you mentioned, are red, white russian and siberian the perennial ones?

I usually take them out at the end of the year, but I know for sure the "Siberian" that the Bird family gave me from Williams Lake, British Columbia came back for them. Whether it self seeded or works as a biennial for them up there, I am not sure. It was grown in Zone 2b. The others I ripped out each year around April. Where I live in Oregon it is usually Zone 7/8, so I ate off of them all winter.

Cedar

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #273 on: January 10, 2016, 09:16:58 AM »
I've read recently about the great nutrient value of Russian kale especially, and self seeds. Not sure if it can take our heat but going to try. Thanks.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #274 on: January 10, 2016, 09:33:05 AM »
I've read recently about the great nutrient value of Russian kale especially, and self seeds. Not sure if it can take our heat but going to try. Thanks.

Do late winter, early Fall planting? North side of the house? I used to loathe Kale, until I started making Kale chips, now I love kale. My daughter from the time she was 2, was munching on Kale out of my gardens. Like eating it off the plant.

Cedar

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #275 on: January 10, 2016, 09:40:40 AM »
My wife read about Russian kale from a free ebook she's reading - Gardening God's Way where the author says you can survive on it alone and espouses about it's usefulness over other plants. Will have to see how if would do here.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #276 on: January 10, 2016, 09:47:45 AM »
Gardening God's Way where the author says you can survive on it alone

Ugh..

and  :rofl:
"After months of pestering from friends, family, waiters, Food Network hosts, and Gwyneths, I consulted my personal physician about whether it was time to switch to a strict, all-kale diet. Yes, she said, it was time, though she warned me that cutting out nonkale foods would make me anemic and that I'd eventually start peeing a substance much like the cabbage stew once served in Victorian workhouses. Small price to pay! She asked me to keep a kale journal."
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/low_concept/2012/05/the_all_kale_diet_how_i_stopped_eating_anything_else_.html

Cedar

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #277 on: January 10, 2016, 10:08:29 AM »
"DAY 6: I broke down and ate entire chafing dishes of fried okra and sausage links at the Sizzler buffet. But after that I got right back on the wagon!"
Now that's funny!!
No, I'm no kale vegan by any means. I'm a paleo & M&Ms kind of guy..