Author Topic: Mobile antenna recommendations  (Read 7295 times)

Offline 23skido

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Mobile antenna recommendations
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:10:59 PM »
Looking for help with mobile antenna choices for my new Yaesu 857. The manufacturer recommended antenna is the Atlas 120( bad reviews and coast is way high).  I would like two ( at least) different antennas. One HF and one for 2m and 70 cm. I am looking at these Shark mobile mini for HF (http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/2083.html). I understand that there size limits them but I like the simplicity and coast. For uhf/ vhf I am looking at the Diamond NR770 ( http://www.universal-radio.com/catalog/hamantm/2568.html).  There is alot of info in my manual about the requirements of antennas to use with this radio, " any antenna system providing a 50 OHM resistive impedance at the desired operating frequency". I am to new at all of this to understand what it all really means. Any input as to how they might work with my radio will be greatly appreciated. Other antenna recommendations are welcome but I rather not get 20 different recommendations.

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Mobile antenna recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 03:06:43 PM »
For the HF, especially, why not just build a dipole?  Very cheap; very easy to build very portable (especially if you're not doing 80 or 160m). 

Offline UnderTheRadar

• Senior Survivalist
    • Tactical Woodgas - run your generator on scrap wood
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 07:42:42 PM »
Looking for help with mobile antenna choices for my new Yaesu 857.

I installed a Yaesu FT-857 in my Jetta diesel about five years ago.  It's mounted in the trunk with the detachable faceplate where I can reach it while driving.  I use an LDG tuner with the tune button and LED remoted to the driver area. The MFJ whip antenna is mounted on a mast that fits in the trailer hitch receiver. 

I talked to a station in Palmer AK from I-5 in WA today. For VHF/UHF most antenna's are OK.

Offline UnderTheRadar

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 07:53:09 PM »
The advantage of using a tuner is that you get around the narrow bandwidth of whip antennas. I use a 20 metre MFJ whip antenna on all HF bands and use the tuner to match it.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 09:46:42 PM »
Looking for help with mobile antenna choices for my new Yaesu 857.

Are you looking for "talk while walk/drive" mobile, or "set up in 5 minutes when I make camp" mobile?  Two different worlds.

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 11:15:22 AM »
Are you looking for "talk while walk/drive" mobile, or "set up in 5 minutes when I make camp" mobile?  Two different worlds.

Also "talk to world" or just regionally for a couple hundred miles with a mobile NVIS setup ?

Offline 23skido

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 07:04:19 PM »

The answer to your question I both. I will eventually have a more " base" set up in my home where I will transfer the radio for use there. For now the truck will be my main radio. To answer your other question about 200 miles or the world? I guess I would like to try for far. The whips may not do that though?

Offline UnderTheRadar

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:29:25 PM »
. To answer your other question about 200 miles or the world? I guess I would like to try for far. The whips may not do that though?

I've talked coast to coast,  south America,  Europe,  Australia,  and Asia using the whip antenna on my car.  Get an automatic tuner if you want more than one band, loaded whips are narrow bandwidth.  Are you in the Seattle/Portland area? I've got an antenna analyzer that can help make sure the impedance and resonance is good. If not, someone in a local club has one.

Mobile HF is like working QRP. You have to have a properly installed station and patience.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 10:07:05 PM »
The answer to your question I both.
Then definitely consider wire dipoles (and their many variations) for the "up in 5 minutes" option.  They perform very well and are extremely portable.

Right now I'm mulling over a 40/20 meter combination trap dipole for my go box, mostly because it'll work on these two key bands and it's not too big to easily hang in a tree.

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 06:37:55 AM »
just to confuse you further, I'm gonna direct you to this thread  :D

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/657304_EMACS__Emcomm_Modular_Ammo_Can_System__by_ChinoUSMC___w__lots_of_pics.html

Here is another thread re your OP (almost)

http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=10&f=22&t=622890

Good Luck...

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:37:21 PM »

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_10_22/657304_EMACS__Emcomm_Modular_Ammo_Can_System__by_ChinoUSMC___w__lots_of_pics.html

Good Luck...

Yaesu 857D faceplate mounted on the inside of the box lid, main unit turned around so you can access the antenna and power sockets... frikkin' brilliant!  Then measuring tapes for ground planes!  That guy put some serious knowledge into his go rig.

Thanks for posting that, thanks for the ideas.

Offline Texas Sawduster

• Survivor
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 12:24:13 PM »

Good Luck...

DITTO on the posting of this link on the ammo cans.

Great setup.

Offline Ldrider

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 09:07:17 PM »
For an inexpensive antenna, I've had good luck with use hustler antennas.  It has a base section and then an upper section that has a coil.  You use a different upper section for each band.  I've also used two identical hustler antennas in a dipole arrangement for portable work.  If price isn't a problem, I really like the Hi-Q screwdriver antennas.  One antenna with a controller in the car to tune the antenna for different frequencies. 

Offline austinrob

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 09:15:28 AM »
also on my list to build is a tape measure dipole.  Attach the feedline to the ends of two cheap metal tape measures and extend to the appropriate length for appropriate SWR.  If you go less-cheap, and get locking tapes, you have to do less rigging to hang them in the trees.

A 20m band half-wave dipole is about 32ft long.  So even the cheapo 25' tapes will work for 20m.

Offline 23skido

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2014, 07:35:18 PM »
Thanks to all of you for your help. I am still looking into some of the possibilities put forth here. Unfortunately my radio interest are pretty low on the daily demands list of work and raising kids. Have no fear I will get to it eventually! I always do.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
When mobiles check into my net the screwdriver antennas win out.  I did have good luck on 80M once when I used two firesticks in series as a folded mono-pole. This raised my impedance enough to make matching easy. The big boys on 80 said I was the best mobile they had ever heard running only 100 watts.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2014, 09:20:11 AM »
A 80m meter HAMSTICK and an LDG auto-tuner can cover most bands well and as forefficiency ...5% is about as good as it gets.
Tune the system or t unable antenna Not much difference...besides lots of money.  Check out K0BG.com 

http://www.k0bg.com/