Poll

What are/will do about your cable/sat bill?

Nothing I don't mind paying that bill
1 (5%)
Buy a Ruko with Hulu Plus and Netflix
13 (65%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Buy a Apple TV 2 Jailbroken with Hulu Plus and Netflix
2 (10%)
Nothing because I don't know how
2 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Voting closed: May 14, 2014, 10:11:07 AM

Author Topic: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord  (Read 66358 times)

Offline Freespool

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Cutting the Cord
« Reply #150 on: December 04, 2017, 12:15:29 PM »
I have almost 4 year old twins.  We do use the TV as a babysitter often because I am gone 11-12 hrs a day Mon-Fri and wife needs to clean and make dinner.  On weekends they get it as I get things done around the house like yard work and house fixing.  They are not old enough to help.  We are having some money issues and TV + internet is $200 month.  Could cut to about $75 for just internet and DirectTV now. 

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #151 on: December 04, 2017, 12:56:07 PM »
Check out Hulu and see how many of the familY’s shows are on there, it’s cheaper than Netflix per month, but you have a few commercials to watch.  If you’re Amazon Prime there is some stuff you could stream for free, too. Over the air TV is free and better quality than cable, and very doable if you’re within 40 miles line of sight of the station, for the local network stuff.  Internet only from Spectrum is $44/mo for me and it’s damn fast, way faster than my AT&T DSL.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #152 on: December 04, 2017, 12:59:40 PM »
I have almost 4 year old twins.  We do use the TV as a babysitter often because I am gone 11-12 hrs a day Mon-Fri and wife needs to clean and make dinner.  On weekends they get it as I get things done around the house like yard work and house fixing.  They are not old enough to help.  We are having some money issues and TV + internet is $200 month.  Could cut to about $75 for just internet and DirectTV now. 

I have to disagree with the "not old enough to help."  4-6 year olds are the BEST time to teach them to help.  They are soooo excited to be with dad, they will hold things and hand screw drivers.  My then 5-yo pulled frozen chicken breasts out of the freezer, added some broth, covered the pan, and put it in the toaster oven the day her little brother was born.  My husband made the rest of dinner but she did that so it could cook for a few hours.

You have REALLY got to get your wife on board with this.  If she is not, she will be using the tv for the kids behind your back, even if she agreed not to.  And that will cause marital problems.  My kids have never had tv as a babysitter, even when small.  They built with blocks, did puzzles, build with wooden train tracks, etc.
 When they learned to read, that is ALL they do (I have seriously weird kids - they read all the time and fight over whose turn it is to play the piano :o
They can clean up their own messes, unload dishes from the dishwasher, sort laundry, wash sinks and mirrors.  There are a dozen lists with age appropriate chores for children.  Your wife should not be doing everything.  Although, she will feel that it would be faster and easier to do it herself.  She has to change her mindset (and you too "like yard work and house fixing") that you are not doing the things to get them done quickly, but to teach the kids how to do them.  That will free some of her time AND occupy the kids instead of watching tv.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #153 on: December 04, 2017, 08:10:25 PM »
Or you can do what we do. Get to watch DVDs when the generator is running to charge the trailer 12 vt batteries. I get to watch YouTube on my phone at that time, and write emails and stuff on my computer to send later when I go to the cafe that has internet.

My 8yr old  daughter likes likes living off grid enough that I was teasing her if we should get electricity in the cottage we will be building, and she said no. She reads, colors, plays with toys, instead of the "tv" most of the time.

Cedar

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Save $ Cutting the Cable Cord
« Reply #154 on: December 05, 2017, 05:27:33 AM »
I've been trying to cut the cord for a couple of years.  But the wife is not on board with it.  So, we still have Dish Network.

Where we get our content:
We have Amazon Prime, but I rarely think to turn to that for viewing.
We have Netflix and that is used A LOT.  I have the "2 can watch at a time" account, and it's a couple of times a month that one of us will get a message saying that 2 people are already watching.
I built up a Plex server and have the 300+ DVDs on it.  I also have about 15-20 full TV series.  I'll also borrow DVDs to put on the Plex server, once they are watched they get deleted to free space.
We've had Hulu in the past, but it was prior to the current way of doing things, so may have to look into it again.

The problem comes down to The Young and the Restless, Hallmark Channel and the local news.  I haven't looked in the past 6 months or so, but there doesn't seem to be any way to get The Young and the Restless without broadcast or cable TV.  We don't have a good line of sight to the towers ~35 miles away, so I don't want to spend the $100 for a good antenna just in case I can't pull in the signal.

Good luck with your quest to cut the cord.  The only thing you can really do is get your wife on board.  Without her buy in, it cannot happen.

Offline Zef_66

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #155 on: December 05, 2017, 10:22:37 AM »

I agree with MS:

4-6 year olds are the BEST time to teach them to help.

I have a 4 year old and a 6 year old. They are not hooked to the TV and love to help out. We don't give them chores. They are just expected to help out when asked. And in turn, they find they enjoy doing the things they are asked to do. So much so, on Saturday or Sunday mornings, the 4 year old will often ask me "What do you need help with today." And I love that he wants to spend time with me. Even if it means I have to take a few more minutes to get a picture hung because he wants to pound in the nail. We are doing it together. And it creates work ethic and memories.

I'm right with you that I am gone almost 12 hours a day. My wife stays at home all day with the two littlest ones. And gets the biggest ready for school and off the bus, then starts homework. And usually has dinner cooking by the time I get home. But she does it without using the TV as a babysitter because the kids were never raised that way. Like MS, our kids love to read (even the 4 year old will sit and look at picture books for hours), love puzzles, enjoy building with legos, lincoln logs, blocks, doing crafts, etc. Just last night the two oldest devised a plan to go into each other's rooms and take toys, wrap them in newspaper, and put them under the christmas tree until christmas. They figured they wouldn't miss them much, and then it would be exciting to get to play with them again. So they spent all evening doing this after I got home.

But if your wife isn't on board with it, it will never work.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #156 on: January 20, 2018, 04:34:49 AM »
Somehow we are lucky to have att dsl now. I put up an antenna for local and pay for Netflix and Amazon prime. That's enough for me but the wife wants Game of Thrones. I'm paying $16/mo for that too now. Seems like a soap opera with swords to me.

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" is worth every penny right now though!   Love this show!

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2018, 03:18:24 PM »
Week 2 at our house without cable.  We upgraded to the premium hulu, which costs < 1/3 of our comcast TV.
I also made this antenna as a proof of concept.

While I haven't been watching much NFL this season, I am currently watching the NE/JAX game in 1080p using a cedar fence board and 12 gauge copper wire bent in very specific ways.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #158 on: January 21, 2018, 05:09:30 PM »
that's a great antenna

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #159 on: January 21, 2018, 08:23:58 PM »
We haven't had cable or dish since 2010 or so... we have an antenna on our house and are able to pick up a seriously good number of local channels in our relatively small town (including your soap operas and local news) for free. We also have Amazon Prime and Netflix. We have gotten really spoiled by streaming and almost cannot maintain interest in regular TV through the commercials... I highly recommend cutting the cable.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #160 on: January 20, 2019, 04:52:49 AM »
We got rid of cable TV 4 years ago bought a Roku and HD converter and been happy with that and our old analog TV since. Recently our son in law bought us a "smart" TV, came with a bunch of stuff installed. All is good except I can't install the channels some of the other that we like. Stuck with what the manufacturer installed. I still have the Roku and recently thought I could connect to the composite connection on the TV, already got a DVD player there, and run a set up like I had on the old TV. Roku, DVD player connected to a switch box and that connected to the TV.  Switching TV inputs is accomplished via the TV, switching the Roku and DVD accomplished with the external switch box. Haven't done it yet but seems it should work.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #161 on: January 20, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
I only sort of cut the cord.

We have YouTube TV to cover the wife's requirement of Young and the Restless.  We have a Roku on each TV.  We also have Netflix, but the kids are the main ones that watch that.

The biggest thing that we watch is movies and TV on my Plex server.