Author Topic: Menstrual Cups  (Read 21490 times)

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: Menstrual Cups
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2014, 02:45:09 PM »
Just had this problem with my Diva cup this morning. I managed to get it in just fine last night, but it took 90 minutes to get it out, extremely painful. I think it migrated up through the night or something, and then it was lopsided when I tried to pull it out. I also had a hard time just getting a grip on the damn thing. I will still try again at a later time, but not a good first experience for me.

I don't know how you are removing it, and you may already be doing this--but I have found if I sort of grab it but then pinch one side to make it bend in, that breaks the suction then I can grasp the entire thing for removal.  If that isn't how you are already doing it, then maybe that would help?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2014, 07:24:04 PM »
I tried it again and the second time went much smoother. I have to get a grip on the bottom of the cup itself, my fingers just slide right off the stem. I did have a few random dull aches throughout the day, but other than that it worked well.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The purpose of life is a life of purpose
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2014, 07:14:02 PM »
I use a cup during the day and would NEVER go back to anything else! I prefer the Lady Cup over Diva Cup but now that my body is used to it I can use either one. At first though I definitely found the Lady Cup more comfortable.  At night I use reusable cloth pads. They are SO soft and do not have a smell like plastic pads. They stay looking like new and all I do is wash them in the washing machine and dry in the dryer. These are the brand I have. I have had these for I think 6 or 7 years and they still look new. I have no affiliation with this company.
http://www.diaperware.com/mooncare/fussybutt.htm

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2014, 07:31:20 PM »
At night I use reusable cloth pads. They are SO soft and do not have a smell like plastic pads. They stay looking like new and all I do is wash them in the washing machine and dry in the dryer. These are the brand I have. I have had these for I think 6 or 7 years and they still look new. I have no affiliation with this company.
http://www.diaperware.com/mooncare/fussybutt.htm

I've never seen those before! Those would work great for my light days when tampons/the cup wouldn't really work.

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2014, 08:45:42 PM »
I think I posted an old link somehow. I think this is the correct link!
http://www.justfussy.com/category.php?category_id=21
I can't figure out how to edit my other message.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2014, 12:39:59 PM »
You can only edit your posts for a short time after you post them. There will be a small "Modify" icon in the top-right corner of your post if you can still edit it, otherwise you just have to make a new post.

I ordered a couple of those Fussy Butts today to try (love the name). I hope they work for me.

[/thread derailment]

Offline Robinelli

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 04:41:04 PM »
Cool :) Hope you like them!

Offline redbelliedhound

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Red Bellied Hound
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2014, 04:49:02 PM »
Oddly enough I found out these existed through my husband.  The wife of someones blog we follow had tried one out and written a review on it.  I've been using Diva Cup for about two years now.  I go ahead and get a new one about once a year, but at thirty dollars a piece they are a lot cheaper than tampons were for me.  They're actually a lot more comfortable too and I've experienced way less leaks with them.  Like previously mentioned, they are a little odd to clean in a public restroom, unless it's a private one.  I usually just wait to empty it out till I get home or I use a piece of toilet paper to do so immediately and then am more thorough when I get home. I don't think I'll ever be going back to tampons. 

Offline Here Again

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2015, 02:23:31 PM »
I giggle when I read that some can go 12 hours without emptying them.  I love mine and always use it on my heavy day......which means I empty it 4-5 times or more in a 6 hours span (sometimes every 20 min).  Yes, that is ALOT, but that is how I flow.  I work very hard at not having to leave the house on my heavy day.  SO....the point I'm making is even if you have an a-typical flow, these types of cups can still work.  I never wear one without a pad (we use cloth pads)....I envy those of you that can skip the pad!

Offline StephLadd

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »
Interesting thread.

I purchased a Diva Cup a few years ago and I did enjoy it for awhile, but no longer use it. You do have to make sure you clean it regularly (at least I did), but in the end, I kept getting infections so I had to stop. I use cloth pads now because I have to but would rather use the cup.

One thing I think is cool about the cups is that menstrual blood is a great plant fertilizer. This would be a really easy way to collect the blood and use it in a survival garden if need be.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2016, 07:44:22 PM »
Thought I would give another update here, as I've found one that works! Third time was the charm with the MeLuna (I also tried the Lilycup). For me it was a trifecta of things that worked: The softer texture, the smaller size, and the ring style of the handle. I'm petite and I had some pain with the larger, harder cups, and have been completely unable to feel this one. The ring on the end is much easier for me to grip than the ribbed stem of the Diva and Lily. I've been told I have a high cervix, but I don't find the small one difficult to remove at all. In fact, the longer cups I've found are much more irritating to me as they tend to pinch when I sit down.

I love the variety of sizes and handle styles available with the MeLuna, and it's only $25 instead of $40 like most of the other ones I've seen. It even comes with a teeny brush for cleaning the holes! There's plenty of info available on their website, so you can figure out which kind is best for you. It's also one of the few non-silicone cups. Instead it's thermoplastic elastomer, or TPE. I plan to order at least one more, and probably one in the Sport stiffness for hiking and other activities.

Online mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2016, 09:07:56 PM »
Thought I would give another update here, as I've found one that works! Third time was the charm with the MeLuna (I also tried the Lilycup). For me it was a trifecta of things that worked: The softer texture, the smaller size, and the ring style of the handle. I'm petite and I had some pain with the larger, harder cups, and have been completely unable to feel this one. The ring on the end is much easier for me to grip than the ribbed stem of the Diva and Lily. I've been told I have a high cervix, but I don't find the small one difficult to remove at all. In fact, the longer cups I've found are much more irritating to me as they tend to pinch when I sit down.

I love the variety of sizes and handle styles available with the MeLuna, and it's only $25 instead of $40 like most of the other ones I've seen. It even comes with a teeny brush for cleaning the holes! There's plenty of info available on their website, so you can figure out which kind is best for you. It's also one of the few non-silicone cups. Instead it's thermoplastic elastomer, or TPE. I plan to order at least one more, and probably one in the Sport stiffness for hiking and other activities.

good feedback -- thanks

Offline ashleyjo

• Fledgling Prepper
  • **NEWBIE**
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2016, 05:27:09 PM »
I've never used them but these two websites seemed pretty helpful and are slightly humerous  ;) .... I currently am using a 5 year iud so I don't really have a period.  ???

http://menstrualcupreviews.net/sckooncup-review/

http://fusion.net/story/257963/beyond-diva-menstrual-cups-european/