Author Topic: 10 States Most Dependent on the Federal Government  (Read 12964 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
10 States Most Dependent on the Federal Government
« on: April 17, 2014, 11:01:18 AM »

I just came across this today...

Return on taxes paid to the federal government: This illustrates how many dollars in federal funding state taxpayers receive for every one dollar in federal income taxes they pay. It excludes from the federal funding the loans/guarantees component because it does not represent permanent transfers from the federal government to a state.

Federal funding as a percentage of state revenue: This metric shows how much of a state’s annual revenue, and theoretically its spending, is provided by the federal government.  Without this money, revenue would have to be found elsewhere – perhaps via tax hikes – or else key state services would suffer.

Number of federal employees per capita: This metric speaks to the federal government’s role as a nationwide employer, indicating the percentage of a state’s workforce that owes its very livelihood to Washington.

10. Arizona
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $1.62
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 39.4 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 8.71

9. South Dakota
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $1.16
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 41.5 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 13.95

8. West Virginia
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $2.22
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 35.5 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 12.56

7. Tennessee
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $1.64
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 41.3 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 7.82

6. Montana
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $1.55
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 38.5 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 13.53

5. Maine
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $1.79
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 36.6 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 10.92

4. Louisiana
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $3.35
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 44.3 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 6.76

3. Alabama
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $3.28
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 37 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 11.66

2. New Mexico
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $2.83
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 37.9 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 15.22

1. Mississippi
Return on Taxpayer Investment: $3.07
Funding as Percentage of Revenue: 45.8 percent
Federal Employees Per Capita: 8.67

Cedar

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: 10 States Most Dependent on the Federal Government
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 11:58:35 PM »
Do you have a link?

I am not surprised with Maine, there is no way that state stays afloat....

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 02:30:17 AM »
I am very surprised Alaska isn't on that list.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »
I will see if I can find the link. It might have been in CNN Money? But I was in alot of different places I do not normally go to yesterday as well.

Cedar

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 09:46:44 AM »
I was initially surprised to see that Maryland isn't on there.  But after re-reading, it makes sense.  There's a HUGE number of federal employees and even more contractors.  But it looks like there's a lot more emphasis on the money spent.

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 11:00:11 AM »
Count me in as surprised as well, in that Oklahoma isn't on this list either.   In many other categories, we are so thankful for Mississippi and Alabama.

(no flames from Mississippians and Alabamans, please, that was meant tongue firmly in cheek)

Offline Louisiana Suvivor

• Can't Spell His Own Name
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • I'm back! I miss you too.
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 12:38:48 PM »
I'm curious to see what happens when you factor out hurricane Katrina monies. Louisiana is still getting fat checks

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 04:44:42 PM »
I am sorry to see Arizona is on the list.  But the Phoenix metro area is getting an awful lot like LA.  :(

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 08:06:53 PM »
Alaska state government is heavily subsidized by oil and gas production taxes, as is Texas.

~TG

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 08:35:23 PM »
Kalifornia didn't make the list?

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 10:06:41 PM »
I'm not surprised to see us in the #1 spot on this one. We have always had Senators and Representatives that actually brag on how much Federal funds they manage to bring back home. It's pretty pitiful, if you ask me.

The good I take from this is I think that if the country were to Balkanize it would leave us on our own.

The bad is a high percentage of our populace is fully dependent on the government.

The ugly is what these leeches will do when the Feds cut them off.

On the positive side we do have a relatively low population density.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2014, 04:21:41 AM »
Their would definately be growing pains for us MJH. The upside for you is the population. My parish is gonna have to blow up four bridges to keep New Orleans out in a collapse scenario.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Survivor
  • Wrong is what I do best.
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2014, 08:50:06 AM »
Seems to be a lot of red states on there.  So much for all the republicans and their government dependence talk.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »
Seems to be a lot of red states on there.  So much for all the republicans and their government dependence talk.

The second article mentions SNAP program as a factor in the stats.  Texas was shown to be ranked at 32, and had almost 4 million SNAP recipients.  A common problem in southern border states (CA, AZ, NM, TX) is the illegal alien population who have figured out they can apply for SNAP as non-citizens.  (They're actually actively recruited for the program by NGO's.)  Two years ago, a news blip stated that approx 2 million "undocumented" were on SNAP in Texas.  That's roughly 1/2.

This is one way a red state can end up higher in the list.

~TG

nelson96

« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2014, 09:27:29 AM »
I'm good. . . .  Oregon, Washington, and Idaho weren't on the list.  Those are the only three States I would consider living in at this time.

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2014, 11:15:20 PM »
I am very surprised Alaska isn't on that list.

You got that right. Maybe since uncle Ted and frank are no longer in congress the earmarks have been fewer.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2014, 08:03:51 AM »
So reading the source articles, the ideal posited in  some prepper fiction that some states (red ones) will fare better than others if there is a collapse in federal programs and spending is likely overstated.  Tbe idea that California will burn but the south will be fine when the EBTs are turned off is greatly oversimplified.

That bears out some of my observations while dabbling in rural law enforcement. The number of folks on state and/or federal assistance was staggering.

Offline R_Morgan

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Combat Veteran
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2014, 08:52:47 AM »
I live in rural Idaho in a very tea party area.  About as red as you could get if looking at election maps.

However using the oversimplified rawlesian (iPad corrected rawlesian to "raw lesbian"...thanks that's exactly what I meant.....) concept that a lot of Preppers adhere to that you just pointed out. This should be the perfect place to be.  In the collapse everyone will be fine unlike the big cities where all the welfare slaves live!

Wrong. There are so many people out here with ebt it's insane.  Every store has "ebt accepted" signs up and Every time I'm shopping I see someone with the " Idaho" across the top of their card checking out in one line or another ( idaho quest card has "Idaho" in big red letters across the top PF the card)

In reality being rural in a southern or western state isn't a silver bullet, it will be bad everywhere.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2014, 10:17:29 AM »
Wrong. There are so many people out here with ebt it's insane.  Every store has "ebt accepted" signs up and Every time I'm shopping I see someone with the " Idaho" across the top of their card checking out in one line or another ( idaho quest card has "Idaho" in big red letters across the top PF the card)

my cousin lives in NorId, and thinks that EBTs and WIC and free summer lunches for the kids are "free money."  Drives me nuts that when we go to visit in late August, her idea of lunch is to go over to the school.  For so many reasons I will not participate: we don't need the financial help; we do not pay into the Idaho tax base, so we have no skin in this meal; SCHOOL LUNCH, ick  - need I say more?  I love my kids too much to feed them .gov approved foods.
And then she complains that her husband does not make enough take home pay to let them do the things they want to do  ::)

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2014, 09:13:33 PM »
my cousin lives in NorId, and thinks that EBTs and WIC and free summer lunches for the kids are "free money."  Drives me nuts that when we go to visit in late August, her idea of lunch is to go over to the school.  For so many reasons I will not participate: we don't need the financial help; we do not pay into the Idaho tax base, so we have no skin in this meal; SCHOOL LUNCH, ick  - need I say more?  I love my kids too much to feed them .gov approved foods.
And then she complains that her husband does not make enough take home pay to let them do the things they want to do  ::)

entitled much!? is she our faith because i've heard that some LDS abuse the hell out of the system but i've never heard or seen it first hand. i'm sure they do but with everything we're taught it's kinda like nails on a chalkboard if i were to consider it. is the school a college or something or are they literally going to a public school to get a free lunch?

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2014, 09:27:01 PM »
entitled much!? is she our faith because i've heard that some LDS abuse the hell out of the system but i've never heard or seen it first hand. i'm sure they do but with everything we're taught it's kinda like nails on a chalkboard if i were to consider it. is the school a college or something or are they literally going to a public school to get a free lunch?

um yes.  She's from Al-a-ba-ma though, originally.  And technically, she married my cousin (who works VERY hard with his dad at their small business 10-man carpentry shop.)  She just cannot connect the dots between the reason they pay so many taxes and their lack of family funds.
The public schools in Utah (and I guess Idaho) feed the kids during the summer "so every child gets at least one good meal a day, even in the summer" <insert puppy dog eyes>  Honestly, I have had other moms in my small town area of Cache Valley (little Happy Valley, if you like) invite me to the school summer lunches "cuz it's FREE!"
And as for LDS abusing the system....  I had a friend in the greater SLC area, go to her Bishop for assistance, and he asked her if she was utilizing all the resources available to her.  Upon further questioning, she realized he meant all the .gov programs before he would help them with food et al.  She was VERY surprised, and rather sad.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2014, 09:32:17 PM »
we don't even do that here in Louisiana! i demand a recount! Utah needs to be on that list LOL.

side note: i know what ya mean MSS. some bishops make me sad too :(
we're supposed to help each other. entitlement though. wish i could pay tithing in produce like we used to 100 years ago.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2014, 10:25:31 PM »
HOW is California not on this list?
Why are states with federal employees, who (hopefully) do something useful for the government emphasized, while those who get money for nothing are ignored?

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2014, 12:59:11 AM »
My state is WAY down the list (if you go to the original data) at #8 least dependent.  Even though the vast majority of our land is owned by the Feds (82%?), we still try really hard to fly under their radar and handle things ourselves.  We've successfully been able to avoid No Child Left Behind for the time being, despite something like 1/3 of our students needing to learn basic conversational English when they enter the school system, and we handled the ACA on the state level.

But I can see us getting Californified pretty quickly.  People move here for the freedoms and the low taxes, then want to add in all of the entitlements and restrict everyone else's behavior.  They just don't seem to understand that the rules and freebies are what created the high taxes and burdensome restrictions they hated so much.  Honestly, it's not rocket science.

For the whole list (from least to most dependent):
http://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

HOW is California not on this list?
Why are states with federal employees, who (hopefully) do something useful for the government emphasized, while those who get money for nothing are ignored?

Yes, thank you.

While I don't work for the feds, I do (technically) work for the state.  But my area is a legitimate money maker.

On the other hand, Jay's son is on Medicaid, gets food stamps and has lost his 3rd .gov cell phone in addition to the one his dad gave him and the one his girlfriend let him use while she's... away for the year.

I definitely think my job is a bit more productive and useful than that.

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2014, 08:10:46 AM »
it just seems like they left out numbers that could attribute "dependency". maybe the study should be "10 states with people on the dole"

Offline riverbend_rich

• Senior Survivalist
  • Garden, Hunt, DIY (MSB)
    • Ada Music Center (music store, band instrument repair)
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »
Count me in as surprised as well, in that Oklahoma isn't on this list either.   In many other categories, we are so thankful for Mississippi and Alabama.

(no flames from Mississippians and Alabamans, please, that was meant tongue firmly in cheek)

Nice! I guess all the oil and gas money puts us firmly out of the worst of the worst on this one! Just don't tell the school teachers.