0 (0%)
Suspend prepping
0 (0%)
Quit prepping
0 (0%)
Buy stocks and give all your guns to the government
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Author Topic: "Recovery"? Should We Still Prep?  (Read 4983 times)

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
"Recovery"? Should We Still Prep?
« on: April 18, 2009, 02:06:56 PM »
I want to get your thoughts on this.  We are supposedly in a small "recovery" because the stock market is up and unemployment figures didn't suck hugely for a month or something. 

I don't think it's a "recovery" at all.  In fact, I think this is the false recovery many people (Peter Schiff, maybe Gerald Celente, and I'm kinda thinking Jack Spirko) predicted for the spring of '09.  I think this false recovery will be followed by a harder crash.

Second, I bet some preppers are saying "Should I really keep saving money and growing a garden if it seems like there is no impending economic collapse?"  Since I think this is a false recovery, I am concerned some people will either stop prepping or will slow down on prepping--and regret it later.  I must admit, I have slowed my prep tempo the past couple of weeks because there doesn't seem to be a crisis every day.

What do you guys think?  (Oh, and on the West Coast here, "guys" means men and women.)

Offline bj

• Survivor
"Recovery"? Should We Still Prep?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 02:12:18 PM »
This type of recovery is called a "dead cat bounce".  Do NOT buy into it!

What Does Dead Cat Bounce Mean?
A temporary recovery from a prolonged decline or bear market, after which the market continues to fall. 

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/d/deadcatbounce.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_cat_bounce

Offline khristopher23

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: "Recovery"? Should We Still Prep?
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 02:36:31 PM »
Even if the economy is fine and we are in recovery (which I agree, I don't believe it is), there are still MANY reasons to continue to prep. Prepping for one particular thing, then quitting when you believe the threat has passed is not wise at all (just like what a lot of Y2K people did). If you lived in FL and a predicted hurricane passed without damage, would you rush out and sell the generator you just bought? Remember, prepping is a lifestyle, not just the act of preparing for one threat.

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 02:39:39 PM »
We have twice as much money in circulation today as we did two years ago.

Let me repeat that: There is twice as much money out there today as there was in 2007.

Only two things have been holding back double- or even triple-digit inflation: a decrease in monetary velocity, and a world-wide trend toward hoarding the dollar. If the first of those goes away (the definition of economic recovery), it will spark some inflation, and the second won't hold for long.

Use this as an opportunity to prep, not as an excuse not to.

Offline rustyknife

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2009, 02:42:27 PM »
This kind of info/rebound reminds me of a joke I read once. This guy goes to his boss and tells him that we have to do something quick. Out of my 50 employees, 50% of the smoker's died last year. Wow, that's a lot his boss says. How many smokers do you have? The guy says Two. One of them died. ..........What we don't know is where this recovery money is coming from and who is supplying it. Also, numbers can be manipulated one way or the other to express a certain view. .......Just like when you carry a spare tire in your car for the flat you will not have or insurance for the accident you will not have, I would suggest you continue to prep for the SHTF scenario that will not happen. On the bigger picture I also think it is a fundamental change of lifestyle that says " I will take care of myself and family and not seek out or expect gov bailouts or entitlement programs".

Offline bj

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »
Even if the economy is fine and we are in recovery (which I agree, I don't believe it is), there are still MANY reasons to continue to prep. Prepping for one particular thing, then quitting when you believe the threat has passed is not wise at all (just like what a lot of Y2K people did). If you lived in FL and a predicted hurricane passed without damage, would you rush out and sell the generator you just bought? Remember, prepping is a lifestyle, not just the act of preparing for one threat.

"Remember, prepping is a lifestyle, not just the act of preparing for one threat."  You hit the nail on the head!

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 07:43:13 PM »
Prepping for one particular thing is not a good thing for your morale. Prepping should be done in the event of any malady or disaster whether it is personal or global. The concepts and actions of prepping remain the same. I admit that my prepping as far as storing food has slowed down a bit (mostly because I am getting over pneumonia and allergies at the same time), but I have done other things to prep such as help dig about a half-acre garden.

Personally I think this thing is going to nose dive. They are propping our market up with straws. They can only do this for so long. Do I think it is going to be like the Depression? Maybe or maybe not. Either way I will continue to prep. Besides, a one month snap shot is hardly a trend, in my opinion. I don't want it to be as bad as the Depression, but I am going to prep like it is going to be anyway. We might just be in the Eye of this Storm. It is my belief, that right now, the only bad decision to make about prepping is to stop doing it.

I would rather have it and need only some of it, then not have it and need to procure it.

Offline chris

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:04:30 PM »
Let me repeat that: There is twice as much money out there today as there was in 2007.

That bears repeating a few more times.

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 08:15:32 PM »
Only twice?  I would think there is even more than that - either way, nobody knows what is going to happen since we haven't been down this road before.

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »
Only twice?  I would think there is even more than that - either way, nobody knows what is going to happen since we haven't been down this road before.
Actually, you're right. It's double March 2008, not 2007.

And there's a lot more in the pipeline still to go.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
My god.  That is really, really scary.  *shakes my head*  TW has actually amped UP the prepping, rather than slow it down.  If the market recovers, so be it.  If it doesn't, I don't want it to affect me.  At all.  The way president Obama is going, he's going to stir people into a civil war before too long.  Between Montana blatantly saying f*** you to the Federal Government regarding guns made in Montana (I'm still waiting to see what the president tries to do to make an "example" out of Montana), Texas revisiting talks about secession, President Obama printing as much money as he wants, raising taxes, etc.. I dunno, I think something really, really scary is going to come out of this.  When people in California start protesting against the Left government, you KNOW things have gone way too far.

I get that in order for things to become "right" again, things have to break down.  But the breaking down is going to be bloody, and flippin' scary, even if we ARE prepared.  I'm starting to understand why the Christian community is so thick (thick = close knit).  If you have even the slightest leaning toward Christianity, this stuff will put the fear of God into you, and a support group that you see at least once a week will be nice when the time comes to hunker down.

*takes the tin foil hat off*

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 11:36:47 PM »
I am going to stop preping since all is fine. Anyone wanna buy 138 cans of green beans?

Offline Darkwinter

• Junior Evil Overlord
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Has his wife's permission
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2009, 07:51:46 AM »
the economy WILL recover, and the economy will CRASH again
Storms will come and go

You stop preparing to survive, when you no longer want to survive.

As for me, I will be planting some lettuce today, hopeful that we are recovering, and confident that no matter what happens, I will be ok.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 09:26:51 AM »
Celente is calling this recovery a 'false flag recovery' brought on by the working of the much vaunted stimulus plan that will lead to an even larger crash.

I expect what he says to be the case as well.

In light of this, It's business as usual prepping, practicing, and surveying the scene for trends and portends...

Regardless of the ups and downs, I will continue to focus on the things that will bring self sufficiency and independence into my life.

I want to stay aware, be capable, and continue to be prepared to weather the potential storms on the horizon.

Recovery or not, human nature is cruel and if disruptions create a loss of civility in my community, I know I need to mitigate that risk.

As Freud said, "I have found little that is 'good' about human beings on the whole."

swanson
« Last Edit: April 19, 2009, 09:39:23 AM by swanson »

Offline T Kehl

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 11:38:05 AM »
I can't make your decision, but as for me and my family, it is prepping full speed ahead.

Personally, I like the freedom aspect, and being less dependent gives me more freedom.

Currently 5.5 years from my economic Freedom Day!

P.S.  To quote Jack, "when times get tough, or even if they don't."

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2009, 12:29:12 PM »
Why!!!! are you guys continuing to prep,Obama has solved all our problems... There will always be food, water, clean air and plenty of AMMO!!!
STOP PREPING ALL IS JUST FINE...TRUST YOUR LEADERS, THEY WILL TAKE CARE OF US!!!

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2009, 12:31:12 PM »
Right.  And we should all pay more taxes too.  For the good of the people, right?   >:(

;)

MightyRunt

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 06:42:27 PM »
either way, nobody knows what is going to happen since we haven't been down this road before.
The way I see it, we have been down this road before. It's spring and that brings late snow storms or snow melt flooding for which to be prepared. Than it'll be summer with thunderstorms, hail storms, tornadoes, hurricanes, droughts and wildfires, for which to be prepared. Then it'll be winter with snow and ice storms for which to be prepared. On any given day there may be a flat tire or a broken appliance, unexpected company for dinner, a sick kid or stopped up toilet for which to be prepared.  We're constantly on this road. The scenery has changed a bit and there may be new potholes, but it's the same road with the same possibilities.  As most others have said, this brief respite is a time to take advantage and ramp up the prepping.