Author Topic: MSP's garden 2014  (Read 30048 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: MSP's garden 2014
« Reply #60 on: October 13, 2014, 10:30:38 AM »
Get your logs, and then contact FungiPerfecti for dowels... with whatever mushroom will grow on the logs you can get. Get a drill, a hammer and some beeswax. Doesn't take that long.

Cedar

d3nni5

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2014, 10:34:32 AM »

I like mushrooms, maybe I'll try that.    These logs are getting buried though for a hugel/woody thing.   Just not sure I have enough.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
They have also been sitting on ground for "X" amount of time. I like ones which have not had contact with the ground and possible contamination with other fungi than I want to innoculate into them.

Cedar

d3nni5

« Reply #63 on: October 17, 2014, 04:50:06 PM »
I ate a burrito made from some leftover roast and stuff from the garden.  Not many garden veggies left....the habeneros were HOT HOT.

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #64 on: October 17, 2014, 05:08:29 PM »

OK, got a "woody bed" question.   As you see here I have some wood already laid out.   I need a few more lengths to finish up.   My garden is 15' x 20'.   This woods is about 5-6" in diameter, and about 3' apart in these rows.

Is this enough?  I don't want to dig it up again after I get these buried.   Any help is appreciated.

I would say that any wood is going to be a benefit after you get over the initial hump of it starting to break down, but also that if you've got more that you can put in there then you might as well do it.

d3nni5

« Reply #65 on: October 17, 2014, 08:08:51 PM »
Thanks Nicodemus.   I'm thinking I need more.   I have a bunch of split wood.   I don't have a fireplace, I just use it for camping wood and "just in case".   I can put some it in there.

Tomorrow I'm visiting my friend's father.  He has a farm about 45 min away, promised me some manure.  He may have some long lengths like these around the property, maybe i can score another 5 or 6 to tighten this up some.

d3nni5

« Reply #66 on: October 18, 2014, 06:49:15 PM »

I gathered up 3 big bags of manure today for my garden and compost pile.   Yes, I shoveled s#$t.  Yes, that is a big bag of s*@t.  :) 

So, this is at my friend's father's farm.   He was nice enough to let me have as much as i wanted, but wasn't nice enough to help me out!      Oh, but he found time to take this pic (notice the rain on the windshield?!).  Thanks for nothing, at least he could have held open the bag :).   The cows are looking at me like...."hey, we just put that there, what are you doing!?!"
:rofl:

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2014, 10:39:26 AM »
Thats a funny picture, we had a small bonfire/smores roast at a friends family place a few weeks ago. The cows followed us to the campfire thinking they were about to get a treat.

My limited experience with wood core beds says mo' wood, mo' kinds of wood, mo' sizes of wood, and mo' stages of degeneration the better.

Small pieces break down faster, already rotting pieces break down faster, larger pieces take longer, etc. I would say adding variety will extend the useable life of the bed.

Also, I forced my wife to go to a mushroom cultivation class recently. We brought home two logs, with a sure fire method of bagging the log until Spring. It seems outside logs while easier, also offer the potential issue of competing fungi and temperature/humidity swings that could hinder the growth of the fungi you selected. I will post our results next year, but my understanding is that the spawn run can take anywhere from a few months to a year and a half before fruiting occurs.

d3nni5

« Reply #68 on: November 24, 2014, 01:33:43 PM »
I got my wood buried yesterday.   All the yard leaves were mulched and put on top.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #69 on: November 24, 2014, 01:55:22 PM »
Check it off the list!

Any reason you decided to go with one single log in each trench?

d3nni5

« Reply #70 on: November 24, 2014, 02:06:50 PM »
Check it off the list!

Any reason you decided to go with one single log in each trench?

that's what i had :)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #71 on: November 24, 2014, 02:21:18 PM »
that's what i had :)

Can't do any better than that in some places.

Cedar

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2014, 02:51:00 PM »
Thats the best reason!

I am glad you didn't have an in depth answer that would start to make me re-think all things "woody bed"!

I am currently working my way through 8-10 yards of pine mulch...because thats what I had. More importantly thats what was most recently free.

d3nni5

« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2014, 04:38:47 PM »
After I got those in the ground, I'm thinking I need another 2 rows in between.   Maybe in the Spring I'll put some more in, we'll see.   

Another point about this garden.   Just six short months ago, I got this going again.   My soil was a mixture of hard clay (lots of rocks up to softball and cantaloupe sized) with some top displaced from other parts of the yard.   I added a lot of peat.  I added some composted manure.   I tilled and tilled and tilled again, three times I turned over that mixture to get that clay broken up.   All this BEFORE I planted anything.   You could call it starting from "square one".

Over the summer I added little fertilizer, all organic, blood and bone meal.   I did little weeding, just pulled and dropped the weeds as they encroached on the plants I wanted to grow.   I got great rain, needed to water very little.

I chopped and dropped everything after it was over.   Hit it all with the mulching mower and a weed eater to get it breaking down.

When I turned over the soil, and dug those ditches to bury the wood, it was CRAWLING WITH LIFE.   Lots of insects, ants and such.   A fair amount of worms, would have like to have seen more, but considering with what I started, I'll take it.

I can't wait to get going again next year!   Hoping the wood adds another layer into that ecosystem and promotes the healthy growth of the soil life that I want to see.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2014, 05:06:34 PM »
Thats a lot of hard work. I have clay and rocks here so I know the feeling. I chickened out compared to the effort you put in, impressive.

Even with all that hard work, its pretty amazing how all that "life" just shows up. Its like you prepared the most difficult10 course meal for soil life.

d3nni5

« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2014, 05:08:33 PM »
It's fun.    Wish I had more land.   I have a plan for that, but until then I'll learn to get the most out of what I got.   Hopefully it transfers well to a bigger plot one day.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2014, 05:51:50 PM »
How much room do you have now?

I had big land dreams but big land dreams around here come with big dollar signs.

d3nni5

« Reply #77 on: November 24, 2014, 06:12:59 PM »
How much room do you have now?

I had big land dreams but big land dreams around here come with big dollar signs.

My garden is about 25' x 16'.   I have room to extend it to about 35' x 16' next year.   If you look back on the pictures in this thread, you'll also see I have two flower beds in front of the house.   I liked all the color this year, but thinking I could find something to plant there next year that is more useful, dunno what I'm gonna do there.   It was cool having all the nice smells in the air out front.    I'm planning on finding a place for herbs next year for sure.

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #78 on: November 24, 2014, 06:28:47 PM »
Thats a pretty good space to work with.

The more I do myself, the more I realize my own limitations! When I had 200 sf of garden, I had lots of time and dreamed of a 1/2 acre of annual production. This past year I had somewhere between 300-400 sf, and about half the time, and began to realize how beautiful small and manageable can be. Even so, I have plans to expand next year, but its pretty amazing how much production you can get from a small space.

I think I heard Ben Falk say something like, its better to manage one acre well than 100 acres poorly. Numbers may not be exact but that was the "gist" of it.