Author Topic: TAPRN and AmRRON Sunday Net  (Read 5285 times)

Offline AEuropa

• Fledgling Prepper
    • Rule #1: Cardio - CrossFit Barbarian Fitness
TAPRN and AmRRON Sunday Net
« on: April 27, 2014, 06:45:02 PM »
Is anyone else planning on participating in tonight's net? For us East Coasters, it begins at 9pm with the primary frequency being 7.242. I'm currently monitoring and hopefully I'll manage to check in for the first time!

- Alex

Offline AEuropa

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: TAPRN and AmRRON Sunday Net
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:49:49 PM »
There was alot of noise on 40m tonight that minimized the amount of discussion that would could have on the net, but none the less, we had quite a few check ins...it's always nice to be reminded that you're not alone.  8)

I hope to hear a few of you next week!

Alex

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 09:51:25 PM »
Alex,

I wasn't aware that TAPRNet had moved to 40m for the Sunday nets until I saw your first post at about a quarter to ten and got on the air to see if I could still catch it. I couldn't hear anything around 7.242 that sounded like it so I'd like to ask for when the net ended and what frequency it took place on.

I have a lot more luck with my current antenna, rig and urban location on 20 and 40m than 80, so I'll try to listen in Sunday evenings and work on my antenna setup, etc. until I can effectively connect with you fellows.

Frank

Offline SCWolverine

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2014, 04:47:12 AM »
Didn't realize TAPRN did weekly nets, though I've participated with AmRRON a few times.  Both listed/linked below
thx!

For those unfamiliar:

http://www.amrron.com/taprn/

Standardized Amateur Radio Prepper Communications Plan
from TAPRN(The American Preppers Radio Network)

Standardized Frequencies and Modes:
80 Meters – 3.818 MHz LSB (TAPRN Net: Sundays at 9 PM ET)
40 Meters – 7.242 MHz LSB
40 Meters Digital – 7.073 MHz USB CONTESTIA. 4/250 mode. (TAPRN Net: Sundays at 7:30 PM ET)
20 Meters – 14.242 MHz USB
2 Meters – 146.420 MHz FM

http://www.amrron.com/nets-regional-national/amrron-regionalnational-nets/

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2014, 12:23:04 PM »
I am totally HF inexpereinced.
but Any chance those nets will be heard from Greece?
I can listen...

Offline Canadian Prepper

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2014, 12:46:41 PM »
I am totally HF inexpereinced.
but Any chance those nets will be heard from Greece?
I can listen...

Another forum member, Allan Georges, posted the following link on another discussion thread that I have found invaluable:

http://www.voacap.com/coverage.html

By picking your time, location, band, mod, power, antenna, etc., the program gives you a good idea of how far you can listen or transmit. As a relative beginner (didn't start listening and transmitting in HF until late this past January), I've checked it often before powering up my rig to get an idea of what I could expect, and so far it's been fairly accurate in giving me a ballpark of what might transpire. For reference, I am currently playing with an MFJ 2886 portable vertical (and occasionally an MFJ 80m mini-dipole) on 100W max with a Yaesu FT-897D.

Back to your original question, it appears as though 40m (and probably 80) voice from England, Spain, the Canary Islands and sometimes even Germany can make it across to America on some evenings (probably with directional Yagis and substantial power, and I can more easily listen to the North Americans responding back to them, but Greece sounds like a stretch to me. I haven't yet set up to send PSK31, but I have seen messages on 60m from Northern Italy and if you play around with the Voice of America site, CW could probably reach Greece and back at the right time as well. So in short, I would be highly impressed if anyone from Greece would be able to listen or participate with any consistency.

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »
thansk for the links, i bookmarked them....

No luck...using this http://www.voacap.com/prediction.html
 I am getting 10% chance of listening at best

Offline AEuropa

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 08:48:57 AM »
Alex,

I wasn't aware that TAPRNet had moved to 40m for the Sunday nets until I saw your first post at about a quarter to ten and got on the air to see if I could still catch it. I couldn't hear anything around 7.242 that sounded like it so I'd like to ask for when the net ended and what frequency it took place on.

I have a lot more luck with my current antenna, rig and urban location on 20 and 40m than 80, so I'll try to listen in Sunday evenings and work on my antenna setup, etc. until I can effectively connect with you fellows.

Frank

According to the AmRRON SOI, 40 Meter nets are from 01 April through 31 October; 80m nets are from 01 November to 31 March.

The nets are +/- 6khz depending on noise and other traffic. In the southeast, we ended up on 7.240 last Sunday. They set up the pre-net at around 2045 for early check-ins.

I'll be listening for you guys on the air!

Alex

PS: SCWolverine, PM sent!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 09:12:56 AM by AEuropa »