Author Topic: Can I 'lighten' other loads besides .44?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline ChadK

• Survivor
Can I 'lighten' other loads besides .44?
« on: October 17, 2008, 11:42:55 AM »
This is my first post to this kind of thing, thanks for putting this all together Jack.  Your reloading podcast piqued my interest...I have a .40 caliber carbine that I haven't been able to shoot.  We live somewhat out in the country, but I still want to be respectful of my neighbors and not be blasting away.  In the podcast you mentioned a light 44 caliber load that is very quiet but powerful.

Would it be possible, if I start reloading, to do the same with other calibers (.270, 9mm, .40 S&W, 30-30, .45 ACP)?  Not looking for specifics, just a general idea of which calibers are similar to the .44 you mentioned in the podcast.  I hope I am asking the question effectively, I have never reloaded so I do not know the "proper" terms, etc.

That would give me a chance to shoot and practice, without all the noise.  Any downside to this? 

Thanks!  Great site, great forum, great all around group!

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Re: Can I 'lighten' other loads besides .44?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:17:21 PM »
You can come up with "reduced loads" for just about any round, the Lee Manual gives a formula and the Speer has quite a few in the normal data.

On your carbine, I assume it is a semi auto so reduced loads in it would be safe but most likely would not cycle the action reliably.  With rounds like 270, etc even standard reduced loads will be quite loud.  There is something called squib loads (very light loads) again check the Lee Manual for info on those.  You have to use a lot of care with reduced loads for two reasons.

1.  With certain powders small charges in a large case can create high pressures and blow up a breech!  This is rare again following the guidelines in the Lee manual will keep you safe.

2.  If to reduced a bullet could get lodged in the barrel, again the Lee manual will help with that.

Not shiling for Lee just of all the manuals they have the most on reduced and cast bullet loadings, hope this helps and welcome to the forum.

Offline ElyasWolff

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 04:47:52 PM »
I will just add that when you are experimenting with these loads check down the barrel with a flashlight each time you fire off one of your new recipe. That way if you do get a squib, you will see it stuck in the barrel.

IMHO dont even bother with bottleneck rifle cases.

The other option is to get a suppressor, many states allow them. It is a $200 fee and some paperwork.

Offline RipTombstone

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Plum Creek Leather Works
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 09:24:39 PM »
I have some .22 Colibri made by Aguila in mexico. They are a .22 LR cartridge, loaded with a very light (20 gr or so) bullet, and no powder. They say not to shoot them in a rifle, but  handgun only. That said, my Rossi .22 pump rifle shoots them very well. The only noise you hear is the hammer, and they will dispatch small game if you are close.
Would be perfect for dispatching game on a trap line. I use them at work once in awhile for varmints that wander into the city. Real good on skunks if you are close.
I tried them in my semi auto, and there is just enough force to work the bolt slightly, so the noise is much louder than a locked breech gun. A single shot .22 would be ideal with these.
RipT

Offline sardog

• Prepper
  • All bark, no bite
    • Buck Creek Survival
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2008, 05:22:28 PM »
Actually most calibers can be loaded down. The .223 can be loaded down to .22lr velocities without worry about sticking a bullet. Light bullets work best because they will stabalize better but it depends on your twist rate.
You can also down load with cast bullets. I've taken many a squirrel with a 130gr cast bullet (Lyman #311410) and five grains of Unique in my .308. Go for head shots and you have virtually no meat damage.