Author Topic: Can you believe it? You need a prescription for......  (Read 9218 times)

Offline indiana jones

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Can you believe it? You need a prescription for......
« on: June 15, 2014, 09:01:56 PM »
Can you believe it? You need a prescription for......saline. For goodness sakes, I went to the drug store to purchase some bottles of saline and was told I needed to get a script for them! I told them that it just is salt water and was told to get a Netti Pot!  :rofl:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Can you believe it? You need a prescription for......
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 09:48:46 PM »
I wonder what drug they are cutting/making with saline now. Yeah, I just checked and even my normal sources are now RX required. It wasn't a year ago when I bought my last ones to have on hand for animal issues.

Cedar

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 10:20:23 PM »
Saline?

As in. . .eyedrops or what you use for your contacts?

News to me.

The Professor

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:45:20 PM »
The only thing that I can think to articulate is that this is truly truly absurd.  Any further commentary will have to wait until after my brain resets due to the absurdity.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 11:01:47 PM »
A quick trip to the Walgreens website shows that saline is NOT restricted and is available for shipment via USPS or UPS.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/simply-saline-sterile-saline-solution-for-soft-contact-lenses/ID=prod6146655-product

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/fleet-saline-enema-laxative-4-pack/ID=prod6092939-product

Could someone provide proof or further explanation for this belief that Saline is now scrip only?

The Professor

Offline ryerle23

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 11:05:58 PM »
State laws can vary but I have never heard of this. Especially for saline sprays. Find a new pharmacy.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 11:11:28 PM »
Sterile Saline is.. that is what I was referring to. We often use it for eye flushes, wound flushes and IV in the animal medical field. I just looked up my normal sources and it now requires an RX. It didn't a year ago when I ordered a bunch of 500ml and 1000ml bags.

IV Bags
http://www.kvsupply.com/saline-solution-0.9-1000-ml-bag?gclid=CKuvtP7P_b4CFcRffgodWr4AEA
http://www.californiapetpharmacy.com/saline-solution-0-9-1000-ml-bag.html?productid=saline-solution-0-9-1000-ml-bag&channelid=FROOG

Sterile Saline in bottles
http://www.scbt.com/datasheet-360725.html
Read the part in red:  Rx: Available to customers with valid prescriptions in: AK, AL, CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, MA, ME, MI, MN, MO, MT, ND, NH, NM, NV, NY, OH, OK, PA, RI, SD, TX, UT, VT, WA, WV, WI, WY and to veterinarians only in all other states except FL and MD.

As far as I know, there is no difference of the liquid in IV bags, in sterile containers, or bottles for eyes, other than maybe a preservative in the eye stuff. Just packaging and labeling.

Cedar

Offline indiana jones

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 05:13:55 AM »
A quick trip to the Walgreens website shows that saline is NOT restricted and is available for shipment via USPS or UPS.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/simply-saline-sterile-saline-solution-for-soft-contact-lenses/ID=prod6146655-product

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/fleet-saline-enema-laxative-4-pack/ID=prod6092939-product

Could someone provide proof or further explanation for this belief that Saline is now scrip only?

The Professor

Overseas, I buy it in an irrigation bottle that comes in 1 liter bottles. I have been to every Walgreens in my area, and they will only sell a tiny misting nose spray that is not 100% saline. The saline I want is not for contacts or enemas (which is what you posted links to), but for wound irrigation. All of them say I need a script.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 06:47:29 AM »
Saline? Seriously?

*sigh*

What I'm about to say is gonna piss off a lot of people, and even trigger anguish, grief, and horrible memories for some people who have lost loved ones to drug overdoses.

But I say: legalize EVERYTHING! Screw the drug addicts. Let them die. Let them kill themselves by their own hands via overdoses. The amount of legislative bullshit that 45 years worth of this War on Drugs had brought us is NOT worth saving the asses of people so obviously hell-bent on destroying themselves. Nor is it worth billions of US dollars per year lining the pockets of mobsters and Latin American drug lords. Nor is it worth sacrificing the lives of hundreds of LEO's who have died in the line of duty over the past half-century when attempting to enforce drug laws. Nor is it worth the lives of innocent children who get shot down as collateral damage in drive-by shootings and turf wars in our inner cities.

Saline .... phht! .... Seriously.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 07:16:04 AM »
Looks like saline for wound irrigation is still available, but the IV saline is what requires a prescription (supposedly it is a different "grade" than irrigation saline). Google is pretty much just as baffled as we are as to why. The best guess seems to be the risk of infection or other complications when used improperly since an IV will exacerbate problems more than an external flush will.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 07:27:40 AM »
Saline? Seriously?

*sigh*

What I'm about to say is gonna piss off a lot of people, and even trigger anguish, grief, and horrible memories for some people who have lost loved ones to drug overdoses.

But I say: legalize EVERYTHING! Screw the drug addicts. Let them die. Let them kill themselves by their own hands via overdoses. The amount of legislative bullshit that 45 years worth of this War on Drugs had brought us is NOT worth saving the asses of people so obviously hell-bent on destroying themselves. Nor is it worth billions of US dollars per year lining the pockets of mobsters and Latin American drug lords. Nor is it worth sacrificing the lives of hundreds of LEO's who have died in the line of duty over the past half-century when attempting to enforce drug laws. Nor is it worth the lives of innocent children who get shot down as collateral damage in drive-by shootings and turf wars in our inner cities.

Saline .... phht! .... Seriously.

i think I am beginning to agree with this.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 08:10:58 AM »
Yeah, but the problem is when those junkies take out innocents. Like driving while on those drugs. I don't care if they use at home and kill just themselves. That is their choice.

In 2011, 226 children were killed in drunk driving/narcotics crashes. Of those, 122 (54% percent) were riding with the drunk driver. Will that number go up? The people in other cars or just merely walking that they hit?

Or more antibiotic resistant diseases.. which is happening now due to antibiotic misuse.

Less availability for those who really need those drugs/medications.

Cedar

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 09:45:13 AM »
ARGH.  That is going to put a kink in my vet preps.  I always keep a few kits around for the cows.  I haven't actually used a vet for a long time. 

I see KV needs a script for some (but not all) versions of amoxicillin, too.  I didn't think that used to be the case, either?  Or has it been that long since I ordered it?

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 10:19:23 AM »
In 2011, 226 children were killed in drunk driving/narcotics crashes. Of those, 122 (54% percent) were riding with the drunk driver. Will that number go up? The people in other cars or just merely walking that they hit?

Possibly, but the number of people killed by cops for possession will almost certainly go down.

And if you want to reduce the number of children being in homes unable to care for them, then there are many far more appropriate social reforms than making drugs illegal.

While generally libertarian, I would generally prefer a practical approach to a shift in that direction.  Rather than a collapse and rebuilding of the system, I'd rather we shifted toward freedom in a speedy, but manageable way.

For example, legalize cannabis as a test case well before we talk about legalizing opiates.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
I see KV needs a script for some (but not all) versions of amoxicillin, too.  I didn't think that used to be the case, either?  Or has it been that long since I ordered it?

Yeah, it has been awhile since you ordered last.

Cedar

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 11:39:56 AM »
Possibly, but the number of people killed by cops for possession will almost certainly go down.

And if you want to reduce the number of children being in homes unable to care for them, then there are many far more appropriate social reforms than making drugs illegal.

While generally libertarian, I would generally prefer a practical approach to a shift in that direction.  Rather than a collapse and rebuilding of the system, I'd rather we shifted toward freedom in a speedy, but manageable way.

For example, legalize cannabis as a test case well before we talk about legalizing opiates.

I, too am a (L)libertarian and I agree that any movement to increasing freedom must be done slowly, as much as such a statement angers my Libertarian friends.

We have gotten away from a society that understands, and practices, responsibility.  You can't just free everything up and expect people to adapt.

The Professor

endurance

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »
I've hesitated to post anything about this in fear of creating a run on something that is already in short supply, but our department has been under advisement to use saline only when absolutely necessary because of a nationwide shortage that's been going on for a while.  We used to hang a bag on every patient, now we start the IV and buff cap it unless we need to push a drug or there's signs of shock or dehydration.

Odds are this is related to the shortage.  They didn't want people hoarding it that didn't actually need it since supplies in hospitals and EMS are already tight enough.  Our normal supplier is taking 4-6 weeks to deliver what used to arrive the same week.

http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm382255.htm

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 12:15:07 PM »
Thank you for that information endurance.

I have to chuckle at myself for even bothering to ask this... but where do the regulatory agencies that require prescriptions for things get the authority to require prescriptions to prevent shortages?

I chuckle, because "authority granted by law" is such an "archaic concept" now, that I might as well not bother, save out of a sense of curiosity.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 12:23:37 PM »
Yeah, it has been awhile since you ordered last.

Cedar

One benefit of going organic and (almost) input-free. 

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 06:53:35 PM »
Yeah, but the problem is when those junkies take out innocents.

That's the problem I have with legalizing everything too.

Seriously, I don't care if you make a whole lot of stuff legal, but there are a few drugs that are just plain evil. Meth is The Worst, and it can make you do things that are almost unimaginable.  When my eldest was born back in 1991, there was a baby that died the same week.  His dad was on meth and bit his son to death.  Let that sink in good and deep.  Bit his kid so much and so hard that the child died from the bites.

The recent shooting of the two cops we just had - they were supposedly doing meth a lot, and I know Jay's kids have used it.  So far they haven't done anything violent that I know of, but they honestly scare the crap out of me.  I am willing and able to use deadly force on them if I ever find the need, and that's a pretty horrible thing to say about the kids of someone I love.  Everything is an overreaction with how they're going to solve the problem with violence.  They avoid Jay unless they need money, and while I'm sad for him, I'm kind of glad they stay away.

As far as most other drugs - weed?  Go for it.  Just don't hog all the Cheetos.

Various other ways of being stupid and increasing your odds of never living long enough to receive a social security benefit?  Hey, whatever floats your boat.  Better odds that there might be some for me when I retire.

Saline?  That's just plain ridiculous.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
Well, at least they are being consistent.  Don't blame the user, blame the gun saline.

sigh

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2014, 03:25:38 PM »
Saline is just saltwater, right? Why can't you simply mix this at home, using sterilized water?

Offline bradleypaul75

• Senior Survivalist
  • there is no spoon.
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2014, 04:09:47 PM »
I've hesitated to post anything about this in fear of creating a run on something that is already in short supply, but our department has been under advisement to use saline only when absolutely necessary because of a nationwide shortage that's been going on for a while.  We used to hang a bag on every patient, now we start the IV and buff cap it unless we need to push a drug or there's signs of shock or dehydration.

Odds are this is related to the shortage.  They didn't want people hoarding it that didn't actually need it since supplies in hospitals and EMS are already tight enough.  Our normal supplier is taking 4-6 weeks to deliver what used to arrive the same week.

http://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm382255.htm

I second that. There is a shortage.... it is not to the level that the medical field is not starting IV's yet but we are encouraged to use more saline locks (just a small tube hooked to the place where the needed was started) versus a hanging IV bag drip set

Offline PatHP

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2018, 12:44:52 PM »
That seems a bit ridiculous.  But I would assume it is because you can get seriously ill if you take in too much sodium and mess up your body's electrolyte balance.

I use them for a different reason, Saline is used in Saline tests detect to detect IgM antibodies. But I understand your frustration, it seems absurd that we have to go through a doctor to get something that's ultimately natural.

https://sites.ualberta.ca/~pletendr/tm-modules/methods/70met-sal.html
http://www.genetex.com/Web/Search/Search.aspx?KeyWord=IgM
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15373569
https://www.jstor.org/stable/30134806