Author Topic: Price of .22's  (Read 75557 times)

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
Price of .22's
« on: July 07, 2014, 07:59:09 AM »
     Just another quick report of the lunacy. I was at a large flea market and noticed a guy taking a picture of a box of .22's. Not a brick, just a box of 50. It was marked $15.00. I mentioned that seemed pretty crazy to me. He agreed and we had a nice discussion. I give up trying to figure it out.

Offline Knecht

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Czech emissary at TSP forum
Re: Price of .22's
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 09:55:56 AM »
Here in CZ they still cost ~$3 for a 50 box.

Offline JLMissouri

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:01:00 AM »
I have not seen any 22 ammunition in the stores for several years. I have noticed a lot of people trying to sell it at absurd prices as well, but I don't know if they are actually getting what they are asking. If they do I think I would sell my personal stockpile. I wouldn't mind that kind of money.

Offline faultlineliving

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 07:34:14 PM »
Bought a couple of boxes of American Eagle at Bass Pro (Limited Supply) for 2.39 a box. Hornady 22 Mag about $14.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 08:10:17 PM »
To date, the most I have ever paid for .22 LR is $16.98 for a box of 100 CCI mini-mag. This over twice what I bought it for pre-shortage.

It was the first I has seen in quite a while, so I bought them out. I haven't seen any since.

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:10:21 PM »
Shameless plug for Jack's advertiser: BulkAmmo.com has several varieties of .22 ammo in stock.  And there's an MSB discount too.

(I just placed my first order with them, for some .22 magnum.  Yeah, still absurdly expensive compared with a few years ago, but they did actually have it in stock, and shipped it promptly with adequate packaging.)

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2014, 09:16:28 PM »
$82 a brick, ouch, but that's the market. I'm gonna have to pop for some soon. Thanks for pointing out that Bulk Ammo has any for sale at all.

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 05:20:46 AM »
15.00 for 50 here for the late buyers ;D

SnoHam13

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 05:35:40 AM »
     I haven't seen much in the way of retail stock for .22's. The gunshow prices are ridiculous. I have a hard time believing that it's all being bought up by profiteering hoarders. It only makes a profit if they sell it and even at the gunshows, there isn't a large quantity for sale. I also can't believe that the government is buying it all up. .22 caliber isn't a favorite round for criminals or gangbangers. If the goal is to remove ammo from the criminal element, why not buy up 9mm? What possible use could the government have for a vast quantity of this caliber?
     I wonder what the wholesale prices are? If the manufacturers have unreasonably jacked up the wholesale prices, it might explain the increases. I also can't believe that the wholesale price is the same as it used to be, while the retail prices have skyrocketed. The manufacturers would jump all over the increased profits; the cost of raw materials being the same. There doesn't seem to be a shortage of components either. If they are really running 24/7, cranking out .22's it means that bullets, brass and powder are in good supply. Perhaps I've missed something and a metal or chemical is in short supply, therefore driving up prices.
     The guy in the gun department at Wally World said that as soon as a shipment comes in, they are immediately sold out. People wait at the ammunition case for a few bricks to arrive? There is some panic buying, but across the whole country? Rumors of shortages can trigger shortages. An example was the toilet paper "shortage". But everyone uses toilet paper. I would think only a very small percentage of the population uses .22's.
     I also wonder what this is doing to the market for firearms that use .22 caliber? I'd certainly think twice about buying a .22, given the situation. Anyone seen any info on sales figures for .22 firearms? Maybe this is just the top of the slippery slope for gun elimination. Too much outcry if the government grabs the guns, they'll just eliminate the ammo. No one will seriously do anything if .22's are priced out reach and made unavailable. I wonder what caliber would be next?

endurance

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 06:41:00 AM »
I don't get it either but i watched similar shortages of 9mm in 2009 and that's a caliber that can be reloaded. I think the absence of a reload market for .22 puts all the production pressure on manufacturers who see this as a blip in the market and are unwilling to add production lines after being burned in 2009. As a large corporation, investing tens of millions of dollars to add a new lie. For .22 production only to have sales return to normal in two years is a bad investment.

If I recall correctly the .22 shortage started after Sandy Hook. That means it's less than two years out still and it's a self feeding problem. If you haven't been able to buy for 18 months, you'll buy everything in sight when you do find it. Hopefully this crisis will run it's course. I've sold every box I'm willing to spare now, all for $25 per 500 to friends in need. Now I'm down to just a personal supply for target shooting and sooner or later I'm going to need to restock.

Offline christphrmurray

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 07:41:59 AM »
I just am sorry for anyone teaching a new shooter like a kid. My first time we shoot couple hundred rounds at a bunch of canc. But it was repartition that makes you comfortable with it same when I tought my wife.

Offline Mortblanc

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 08:00:36 AM »
.30 cents per round for .22 LR???

Just goes to prove that everyone's first gun should be an AK!

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 11:35:46 AM »
Yes, I am trying got have myself and my daughter learn to use firearms, she like to go to the "silent night" event at our local range where we can ONLY shoot .22 subsonic quiet rounds. You cannot, ever, buy any .22 ammo anywhere I have been here or visiting Oregon. We had one box of 100 rounds, when that was out, I bought 4 boxes of 50 online, at bulk ammo, for $10/box. So, that last time we went it was $20 shot just of this .22 ammo !! So, yes, they have ammo, but at a real high price !! I got lucky and bought a box of 500 rounds of CCI regular .22 ammo last month for $40 from midway -- shot it at appleseed

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 11:50:11 AM »
I don't get it either but i watched similar shortages of 9mm in 2009 and that's a caliber that can be reloaded. I think the absence of a reload market for .22 puts all the production pressure on manufacturers who see this as a blip in the market and are unwilling to add production lines after being burned in 2009. As a large corporation, investing tens of millions of dollars to add a new lie. For .22 production only to have sales return to normal in two years is a bad investment.

If I recall correctly the .22 shortage started after Sandy Hook. That means it's less than two years out still and it's a self feeding problem. If you haven't been able to buy for 18 months, you'll buy everything in sight when you do find it. Hopefully this crisis will run it's course. I've sold every box I'm willing to spare now, all for $25 per 500 to friends in need. Now I'm down to just a personal supply for target shooting and sooner or later I'm going to need to restock.

+1

I wish this wasn't accurate, but I believe it is.

I have only 4 unopened bricks left - which coincidentally I cashed in a rain check the morning AFTER Sandy Hook and spent $15.99 each.  I should have bought the entire shelf and not just the 8 I had the raincheck sale price for  :'(

I'm now wanting a .38/.357 levergun, as I can honestly reload cast lead .38spl cheaper than I can buy new .22lr.

Offline SnoHam13

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 12:56:51 PM »
if you are all ready set up and stocked with supplies
reloading large bore is the way to go
you can make rounds with little to no recoil for new shooters cheap

SnoHam13

FarmerJim

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 01:09:43 PM »
We got quite a few cheap bricks back in 2010-2011 simply because they were on sale.... Thank god!

Offline chrisdfw

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 02:36:27 PM »
I find it surprising this is ongoing even now. Its been years and I am running low, I stopped shooting it a while back, and refuse to pay more than $16/brick

I also am not going to spend my time chasing a few rounds at a time. My last big purchase was 8000 rounds at 3 cents a round before Sandy Hook. I want to buy in bulk again, not drive all over town chasing ammo.

endurance

« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 03:09:36 PM »
I'm now wanting a .38/.357 levergun, as I can honestly reload cast lead .38spl cheaper than I can buy new .22lr.
When I got my M1 Carbine surplus ammo was cheap and abundant.  It was easy to find stuff cheaper than .223 so it seemed like the perfect gun for my wife to plink with while improving her comfort with larger-than-.22 caliber weapons.  Unfortunately, now it's hard to find for less that $0.50/round and the surplus market is gone.  That said, I found a die and I'm hoping to start casting and reloading for it.  No, it won't be as cheap as .22 was or is, but at least it's a doable proposition and an option you just don't have with .22 or .223 (can't cast for things that high velocity).

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 05:29:39 PM »
The cheapest I've found advertised for new stuff is $50 for a brick, CDNN has good deals but they sell out fast so get on the email list...

Offline frankd4

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2014, 10:52:33 AM »
Bass outdoor seems to have a good supply most of the time I just picked up a 100 round box for nine dollars at Dicks sporting goods limit one box they are living up to their name, CDNN has it but it's expensive.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:51 PM »
I get some from ACADEMY SPORTS at $25 a brick (actually 525 round carton) and keep an eye on prices and good deals at SLICKGUNS,Link below.

http://www.slickguns.com/category/ammo?caliber=3

Offline NCFreedom

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2014, 01:59:07 PM »
Gander Mountain has had some 22 at different times over the last few months.  There was 3 different kinds the last time I was there.  I don't have a 22 so I haven't bought much, except for a 50 round box for a few dollars a few months ago, for the hell of it.
Walmart had signs up about limits on 22 last weekend, but it was sold out when I was there.

I still have most of a 500 round box from maybe 10 years ago, when I had a 22.  I wish I still had my 22 and I hope to get me one in the next few months.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2014, 03:22:19 PM »
Gander Mountain has had some 22 at different times over the last few months.  There was 3 different kinds the last time I was there.  I don't have a 22 so I haven't bought much, except for a 50 round box for a few dollars a few months ago, for the hell of it.
Walmart had signs up about limits on 22 last weekend, but it was sold out when I was there.

I still have most of a 500 round box from maybe 10 years ago, when I had a 22.  I wish I still had my 22 and I hope to get me one in the next few months.

:)  Trade you a 22 revolver for that brick of ammo.... :spit:  Just kidding ,but it can get to that level as demand hits the market SCALPERS are a big part of the problem in my area,buy a store out and sell at gun show.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2014, 03:26:36 PM »
  I sometimes load 5 grs of Red Dot with a 100 gr cast bullet in my bolt action 30/06. The primer is the most expensive component .

nelson96

« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2014, 08:41:09 PM »
To date, the most I have ever paid for .22 LR is $16.98 for a box of 100 CCI mini-mag.

Proud to say I haven't EVER paid more than $17.98/brick. . . .  I'm so happy with myself for the rule I had which lasted for about a year (up to Sandy Hook).  My rule was that I had to buy at least 1 brick any and every time I walked in to a store and found a brick for $15 or less.  I can wait this out for a while.  8)

Offline tjstruck88

• Prepper
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2014, 12:23:14 PM »
$7 for a box of 50 in nh

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
I just bought some old .22 ammo from a neighbor who is going to move. He decided it was all $5 for 50 rounds. I think most was from the 60's. Most of it is Mohawk brand, with some Western super X, and 2 old boxes of CCI stinger, but not as old as the rest. One of the boxes of stinger was priced $3, and the other was Kmart special 2 for $3. SO, he did make money on all this.... so, I have 1000 rounds from this. Told my dad Id bring him some. This ammo is old, but it was kept inside and is in good shape

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 08:37:07 PM »
Yes, I am trying got have myself and my daughter learn to use firearms, she like to go to the "silent night" event at our local range where we can ONLY shoot .22 subsonic quiet rounds. You cannot, ever, buy any .22 ammo anywhere I have been here or visiting Oregon.

Next time you come through Oregon, I can show you where to get some. It is on the shelf. But I will go there next week for something else and double check for you.

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 09:00:02 PM »
At the local Cabela's it's still $3 for a box of 50 (limit 2 boxes)...of course it's NEVER in stock. Except for one time when I was INCREDIBLY lucky and got 2 boxes. I had checked when we arrived, just to see if there was any, and of course there wasn't. 10 minutes later my friend convinced me to check again. Lo and behold there were TWO BOXES on the shelf!! As I grabbed them another customer remarked how lucky I was to get those.

One of the small local gun stores got reamed pretty hard in online reviews for price gouging. They now have a sign up by the .22 stating that no one is forcing you to buy it and that they are still providing it as a convenience to customers since many other local shops have stopped carrying it altogether. It's about $35 for a box of 100.

Offline lostprepper

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2014, 04:53:58 AM »
I will say this, that wholesale prices are at what they used to be. That is why Cabela's can sell them at $3 for a box of 50 or Walmart can sell a 555rd brick of Federal for $25. Here is the problem people buy everything they can at these cheap prices and they don't get that much in. My store sells it at $5 for 50 and $50 for 500. The difference is my store has it in stock and has no limit on how much you can purchase. Because of the price it is rare people buy more than a brick and even rarer by the case. I would say this once Walmart has the bricks in stock and you visit on two separate occasions (not ten seconds apart from aisle walking) and they still have a full shelf, prices everywhere should be down or at least starting to level off.