Author Topic: Price of .22's  (Read 40018 times)

Online FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Price of .22's
« Reply #150 on: February 15, 2017, 04:56:10 PM »
Currently there are no restrictions on ammo sales within CA or online. But new law going into effect in 2018 will require a background check for ammo purchase and may end our ability to purchase online.

With the details still sketchy, and the possibility of the cost increase associated with background checks, plus rumors of monthly limits, I'm going to spend $$$$$ this year laying in cases of what I will need.
23:57:30

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2017, 03:39:13 AM »
Currently there are no restrictions on ammo sales within CA or online. But new law going into effect in 2018 will require a background check for ammo purchase and may end our ability to purchase online.

With the details still sketchy, and the possibility of the cost increase associated with background checks, plus rumors of monthly limits, I'm going to spend $$$$$ this year laying in cases of what I will need.

Why do so many stay under such oppressive conditions?
I refuse to punch back as I didn't come here to fight.

Stop complaining about life and start Celebrating it .

I've reached the age where there is little left to learn the hard way.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #152 on: February 16, 2017, 04:35:14 AM »
I'm getting old and remember when you could buy them at gas stations or your local stop n go for $1.59 for 50.
Seems like price fixing these days. I would have though 22lr would've been the last affected but seemed one of the worst for years now.
I can't even find them local for years. If I get "lucky" and do, they have one box of 100 for about $14+. That's just insane to me even after factoring in inflation.

The best deals I can find today are from sportsmansguide.com if you are a member. I've tried other sites only to see they want $25 to ship $50 worth of ammo.

Anyone know of a good online source of 22LR and 22mag?
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #153 on: February 16, 2017, 04:57:43 AM »
I was 14 and walked to a local Western Auto and plunked down $29.59 plus tax for a Winchester single shot .22 rifle
and $.39 for a box of 50 Federal 22 long rifle shells. I still have the rifle in my safe .
When I made the purchase I was asked "do your parents know you are buying this?" YES and I completed the transaction.

Times have changed.

If you had only one year,one month,or one day...Would you live your life differently?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #154 on: February 16, 2017, 08:51:19 AM »
The laws of man are meant to be broken.  Especially when the prisons are beyond capacity, and they are releasing child abusers EARLY.

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #155 on: February 16, 2017, 01:36:38 PM »
There is only one law in this country: "Don't get caught".

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #156 on: February 16, 2017, 02:03:34 PM »
It pains me every time I buy a brick.
And the stuff is just crap.
1944:
18 year olds storm the beaches of Normandy and brave almost certain death.
2016:
18 year olds need a safe space because words hurt their feelings.

Offline CagedFeral

• Survivor
« Reply #157 on: February 17, 2017, 04:48:02 AM »
I was 14 and walked to a local Western Auto and plunked down $29.59 plus tax for a Winchester single shot .22 rifle
and $.39 for a box of 50 Federal 22 long rifle shells. I still have the rifle in my safe .
When I made the purchase I was asked "do your parents know you are buying this?" YES and I completed the transaction.

Times have changed.

Yes times have changed. My first gun was an H&R single shot 20 gauge. I was about 11(1982). Mom did have to buy it at the local hardware store for me. I still remember they had to ask her about 5 questions. I remember laughing out loud when he had to bluntly ask her if she was insane. 
Black & Gold.
“Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one.” - Thomas Paine

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #158 on: February 17, 2017, 09:39:22 AM »
Yes times have changed. My first gun was an H&R single shot 20 gauge. I was about 11(1982). Mom did have to buy it at the local hardware store for me. I still remember they had to ask her about 5 questions. I remember laughing out loud when he had to bluntly ask her if she was insane.

That's like some classic Catch-22 humor there.

I remember applying for US gov secret clearance in the 1990s.  Back then you used a DOS program on a 3.5" floppy disk and then you were to FedEx the whole thing when done.
A few of the questions had the comment "if you answer YES to any of the following your application will be disqualified". 

Hmm...

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #159 on: February 17, 2017, 09:47:24 AM »
Like for one of my security clearance interviews, they asked if I had smoked more than two marijuana cigarettes.
I answered no, and asked if I could have my two now.
Some federal types have no sense of humor.
1944:
2016:

Offline sukivel

• Prepper
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2017, 10:53:14 AM »

Yep, most of it's junk...I only buy CCI now. That's why I deem .22lr obsolete...I wish it was different...
We can solve most of our problems with two words...common sense.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2017, 11:55:29 AM »
Like for one of my security clearance interviews, they asked if I had smoked more than two marijuana cigarettes.
I answered no, and asked if I could have my two now.
Some federal types have no sense of humor.
:rofl:
The early bird gets the worm.....But the second mouse gets the cheese.

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #162 on: July 23, 2017, 06:49:29 PM »
It looks like we have turned a corner.  Decent quality 22 LR (eg Federal Automatch) under 6 cents per round delivered is showing up at numerous places.

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #163 on: July 23, 2017, 08:32:56 PM »
Yep, most of it's junk...I only buy CCI now. That's why I deem .22lr obsolete...I wish it was different...
At my local gun shop a box of 300 CCI 22lr 36grain under $30.
Sure you can get the cheep stuff for much less, but at this price the good stuff is affordable now.
1944:
2016:

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #164 on: July 24, 2017, 02:54:09 PM »
At my local gun shop a box of 300 CCI 22lr 36grain under $30.
Sure you can get the cheep stuff for much less, but at this price the good stuff is affordable now.

Not counting my local 10.1% tribute to the overlords sales tax, I can get the 100 round mini-mags for $8.99 at a few stores.

Offline LVWood

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Old Fart
« Reply #165 on: July 24, 2017, 05:51:06 PM »
Not counting my local 10.1% tribute to the overlords sales tax, I can get the 100 round mini-mags for $8.99 at a few stores.
You must live in the state of Perdition to have tribute that high...
1944:
2016:

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #166 on: July 25, 2017, 09:43:53 AM »
You must live in the state of Perdition to have tribute that high...

As with most places, it's an accumulation of state, county and city taxes.  So I can save 1.5% or so if I travel to farm country.

When I visit Oregon, which has no sales tax, I often stop at local shops and accumulate .22 and reloading components.  There's a regional grocery store Bi-Mart that sells ammo and reloading supplies.  Even they had limits of 1 box per customer, so I made a point of stopping at every store of that chain along our route.

I think I bought a bottle of water and a case of primers 3 or 4 times that trip. :)

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #167 on: July 25, 2017, 10:18:39 AM »
bulk ammo has 500 rounds of 40gr CCI for $50

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President

Offline res45

• Prepper
« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2017, 07:41:31 AM »
The last two bricks of 22 long rifle I bought I paid $15 for along with a couple boxes of Federal Auto Match that I gave around $11 for,I still have 90% of that ammo stored up and want be buying anymore at the present time,the 22 and 22 Mag. can sit in the safe till there really needed. 

As a reloader bullet caster I found away around the shortages and high prices by casting a Lee 90 gr. SWC 32 cal. .314" tumble lube pistol bullet and using it in all my 30 cal. US and Russian rifles which include 30-30,300 Sav. 30-06,.308 7.62 x 39,7.62 x 54r and 7.62 x 25.  With the exception of the 7.62 x 25 all bullets are cast for pure lead with a bit of Tin an lightly tumble lubed once before and once after sizing.  I size the bullets to .311" for the US calibers and X25 pistol cartridge and .314" for the Russin rifles.  Powder of choice for all these rds. is Alliant Bullseye in the rifles 3.0 grs. in the X 39 cartridge and between 3.2 an 3.5 grs. is everything else,velocity runs between 950 and 1100 fps. and the loads are as accurate as you can hold them out to 50 yds. which is about as far as I have tested them.

These loads cost me about 5 cent each to make an brass that would normally be at it's end of life can be used indefinitely with these loads.  POI is going to be different form your normal factory loaded ammo so a sight adjustment or good old Kentucky windage will get you on target.  Here is a target I get using my old Sav. pump 30-30 with the irons at 50 yds.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2017, 07:53:56 AM »
  For those who don't reload...they have caliber converter inserts that adapt many calibers to 32 ACP (for 30 caliber) and even 22 Long rifle .

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2017, 11:20:37 AM »
As a reloader bullet caster I found away around the shortages and high prices by casting a Lee 90 gr. SWC 32 cal. .314" tumble lube pistol bullet and using it in all my 30 cal. US and Russian rifles which include 30-30,300 Sav. 30-06,.308 7.62 x 39,7.62 x 54r and 7.62 x 25.  With the exception of the 7.62 x 25 all bullets are cast for pure lead with a bit of Tin an lightly tumble lubed once before and once after sizing.  I size the bullets to .311" for the US calibers and X25 pistol cartridge and .314" for the Russin rifles.  Powder of choice for all these rds. is Alliant Bullseye in the rifles 3.0 grs. in the X 39 cartridge and between 3.2 an 3.5 grs. is everything else,velocity runs between 950 and 1100 fps. and the loads are as accurate as you can hold them out to 50 yds. which is about as far as I have tested them.

These loads cost me about 5 cent each to make an brass that would normally be at it's end of life can be used indefinitely with these loads.  POI is going to be different form your normal factory loaded ammo so a sight adjustment or good old Kentucky windage will get you on target.  Here is a target I get using my old Sav. pump 30-30 with the irons at 50 yds.

This is serendipitous.  I actually have that mold.  Bought it to make some ammo for a pair of old Iver Johnson top break revolvers.  It was cheaper buy the mold and die set for .32s&w than one box of the ammo.  Because this was a novelty project, I didn't bother sizing.  I just ran to the garage and my digital calipers show .308-.312 along the ribbed tumble lube surface.  Also, the weight (after lube) seemed to be 92-94 grains.

I'm now intrigued, though as you mentioned the charge is completely different, esp for .308win.  I might also try IMR trailboss, as that's a goto for old milsurp cast lead rounds.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2017, 01:00:46 PM »
The last two bricks of 22 long rifle I bought I paid $15 for along with a couple boxes of Federal Auto Match that I gave around $11 for,I still have 90% of that ammo stored up and want be buying anymore at the present time,the 22 and 22 Mag. can sit in the safe till there really needed. 

damn, that's an interesting idea.....
Wonder if this would for for my 30-30 http://www.cheycastbullets.com/32cal-RNFP-115gr-1lb-Sample_p_121.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:06:05 PM by archer »

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline res45

• Prepper
« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »
damn, that's an interesting idea.....
Wonder if this would for for my 30-30 http://www.cheycastbullets.com/32cal-RNFP-115gr-1lb-Sample_p_121.html

Those bullets are a bit large for 30 cal. .308" groove rifles you probably would end up having chambering issues.  The 115 gr. bullet weight would be fine,I shot lots of 150 to 170 gr. cast bullets in my 30-30 as well using reduced loads.   You really need a bullet in the .310 to .311" dia. range especially if you loading these in a Marlin with a microgroove bore.  Missouri Bullets actually makes a powder coated bullet designed especially for Marlin rifles if thats what you have otherwise you can use the same bullet in a non microgroove rifles as well.  Just Google 30-30 plinker loads and you will come up with lots of articles and useful data.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Reporter for the CNN
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2017, 07:14:23 PM »
Those bullets are a bit large for 30 cal. .308" groove rifles you probably would end up having chambering issues.  The 115 gr. bullet weight would be fine,I shot lots of 150 to 170 gr. cast bullets in my 30-30 as well using reduced loads.   You really need a bullet in the .310 to .311" dia. range especially if you loading these in a Marlin with a microgroove bore.  Missouri Bullets actually makes a powder coated bullet designed especially for Marlin rifles if thats what you have otherwise you can use the same bullet in a non microgroove rifles as well.  Just Google 30-30 plinker loads and you will come up with lots of articles and useful data.

thanks.

derail of thread done..
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 05:15:07 PM by archer »

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #174 on: August 07, 2017, 05:14:17 AM »
  A projectile size die is easy to use and low cost or one can use 30 carbine factory made projectiles.I also used #0 buck for my 30-30 gallery loads with good results.

Offline res45

• Prepper
« Reply #175 on: September 17, 2017, 09:03:12 AM »

I forgot how long ago it was when I bought my last 22 rf. ammo I kinda went on a spending spree over a couple of months an bought 2 bricks of Aguila subsonic HP  ammo 2 bricks of PMC HV solids and HP ammo as well as several 525 rd. boxes of Federal bulk  and Federal AutoMatch as well as a brick of 22 WMR ammo for my Sav. rifles.   It wasn't but a couple of years later that the shortage an high prices hit so I have just sat on that ammo for pretty much all this time only giving a box or two to family and friends to use for small game hunting.

Since I cast my own bullets it was much cheaper to just shoot light weight plinker loads in all my centerfire rifles than it was to burn up the 22 ammo.  I pretty much use the same bullet a Lee 90 gr. tumble lube SWC in all my 30 cal Russian and US chambered rifle I just size the bullet accordingly an use small charges of Alliant Bullseye to push the bullett to mainly subsonic velocities.  My 30-30 get lots of use with this rd.