Author Topic: Advice/Recommendations/Help - I currently hate carrying my gun  (Read 26835 times)

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Help me out folks. I hate carrying my pistol right now. It's gotten uncomfortable and it's summer time so it's even worse.

Right now I have a Springfield XD9 sub compact. I love the gun but wish it wasn't a double stack mag. I would love to get a smaller single stack frame but that isn't going to happen right now. A new belt and holster will be a lot cheaper than a new gun for now.

I've been wanting to get a good gun belt for a while now and I think it's time. My current one is leather but old and doesn't do a good job. I go between CC and OC and since it's summer time I tend to OC a lot more. I have a Comp-Tac IWB that I love but my OC holster is a cheap Uncle Mike's paddle that sticks out about a foot off my hip.

Belt

I've looked around and gun belts are everywhere and at all prices. I was thinking about picking up a Crossbreed Blem since I don't care if it has a few scuffs, I'll probably add my own to it. Any recommendations for a reputable brand that is nice and sturdy and won't break the bank?

Holster

I really want something that is going to keep the gun right on my hip. From what I've seen I think the best thing for that would be some type of leather holster. I don't think kydex/plastic will get as close on my hip as a leather holster that my belt feeds through. The other thing I dislike about my current holster is the paddle digs into my hip at times, so while it is a convenient on and off it's uncomfrtable. Also, some of you may poo on this, but I would prefer a holster without a thumb break. Is there any other type of retention available on leather? I like the retention system that Blackhawk has on their kydex rigs, but I don't want the bulk that comes with it.

Thanks in advance!

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
Re: Advice/Recommendations/Help - I currently hate carrying my gun
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 06:02:28 PM »
Might as well do it right.  ;)

Offline Denver Terry

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 06:27:14 PM »
Take a look at Alien Gear Holsters (http://aliengearholsters.com/search-by-gun).  I had the same complaints carrying my pistol.
Don't let the low prices fool you. These are comfortable and well built.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:39:41 PM »
Trade in the xd9 for a shield. ;)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 09:10:12 PM »
I have to ask the following question:

What won't break the bank?

I'll give you an example. . .I've worn Milt Sparks' holsters, carrier and belt for 15 years.  My original set cost me around $175 (55BN holster, double-thickness belt, double mag carrier and flashlight holder).  I bought my black set in 98-99 for that amount.  It has been all over the world with me from Afghanistan to Europe, Central America to Australia.  Strong and durable, it has been touched up a couple of times to restain parts, but the belt is comfortable, that particular holster is a high(er) ride with 15-degree forward cant and metal-supported opening.  From countless IDPA, IPSC and 3-gun match starting beeps to "GOTW! GOTW! (abbreviated for those sensitive to what some may consider inappropriate terms) in very hot, dusty areas.

If you want comfort and longevity, consider spending a bit more for quality stuff.

Just some thoughts.

The Professor

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 09:14:05 PM »
Might as well do it right.  ;)

texans  ::)

Niccolum

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 08:12:22 PM »
I have a Crossbreed SuperTuck made of horsehide and love it. The horsehide is better at dealing with sweat moisture and doesn't creak like leather. It's also very good at conforming to your body size and isn't stiff once you get it broken in after a few wears.

They make IWB and OWB holsters. They don't make a "retention" holder of a thumb flap or a SERPA or something like that if that's a strict requirement for you though.

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2014, 06:19:42 AM »
Trade in the xd9 for a shield. ;)

I AGREE! I got one about 4 months ago, and have carried it everyday since.

Offline goofyshooter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2014, 06:21:45 AM »
Take a look at Alien Gear Holsters (http://aliengearholsters.com/search-by-gun).  I had the same complaints carrying my pistol.
Don't let the low prices fool you. These are comfortable and well built.

I got one of these when I got my shield, now that its summer I dont wear it much, its HOT. I have gone back to my uncle mikes cheap IWB holster for now.

But they are really nice.

nelson96

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2014, 02:32:58 PM »
Help me out folks. I hate carrying my pistol right now. It's gotten uncomfortable and it's summer time so it's even worse.

Can't agree with you more.  BUT, it only takes one time not having it to change the rest of your life and the lives of your loved ones if something happens.  I like uber concealed and uber light for this very reason.  The smallest caliber pistol is better than no pistol at all. . . .  I carry the Beretta Nano in .9mm with an extra magazine.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
Dumb question: what is a shield?

endurance

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »
Dumb question: what is a shield?
M&P Shield. A single stack medium compact semi-auto handgun.  I have the XD9 and a Shield and between the two of them, I'm very happy.  They shoot very similarly as far as trigger pull and where things are (mag release, point of aim, slide release, etc.), so I have no problem going back and forth between the two.  And I'm a huge crossbreed supertuck fan.  I have a leather for my XD9, and upgraded to horse on the shield.  Both work well, but there's just no reason not to upgrade to horse now that I've tried it.  Super comfortable and nice looking, too.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2014, 10:42:15 PM »
Smith & Wesson M&P Shield as described above:

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »
  In summer I carry my Walter P22 in the front left pocket. A pocket holster would make it better. On some slacks I can carry my Para LCD 45 in the same spot and it's easier to pull, but your belt must be tight, and you must examean the gun to make sure the mag did not pop out or the slide release is not backing out.  The over size mag release can get bumped in your pocket. I don't know what causes the slide release to back out. I just check it every time I carry the gun. When I do than I don't have any problems. I would not recomened the gun for this reason. I can live with it because it is one of the few guns I can still shoot the are concelable with a big hole. Most striker fires are to hard for me to pull the triger on with my left hand. The LCD is so smooth I can still do it in spite of my musle damage to my left hand.
  Back on topic Cross Breed is about the best out there in my mind. It has two points where it connects to the belt for both the IWB and outside the pants carry. This spreads the weight of the gun and is so importaint on IWB holsters.
  Nothing replaces a good belt and a waist smaller then mine so you still have hips.  ;D

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 01:38:17 PM »
  In summer I carry my Walter P22 in the front left pocket.
A similar idea, I usually carry my Kel-Tec P3AT in a "wallet" holster in my back pocket.  The real wallet can be re-located about anywhere, usually into my other back pocket.  It's as comfortable as my regular wallet, and it's about as handy.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2014, 02:37:05 PM »
  In summer I carry my Walter P22 in the front left pocket. A pocket holster would make it better.

The P22 was my snake pistol for years.  I carried one in my gym shorts while trail walking when I lived in Houston, and also on the farm until hogs got bad.  While it's fairly easy to conceal, it's not sweat or dust friendly.  Dust was more of an issue when using a paddle holster.

I've shot a friend's new Ruger SR22 and loved it! 
http://ruger.com/sr22  It's a bit smaller/lighter than the Walther.

Matt, I can second CrossBreed horsehide for IWB, and Comp-Tac for paddle holsters.

~TG

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »
Go to a place that sells to cops mostly.  They have alot of different concealed carry holsters and they have been helping LE concealed carry for a long time.  My local one has this little rack thing that lets them mount a holster on it and you lean into it like it is on your belt and can get a feel for it without threading it through a belt, etc.  If you think you like it you then try it on for size.  They have lots of pistols to make sure it will fit also.

I know I found what belt I have on makes a world of difference.  I use exclusively paddle holsters and with a larger gun, like a Glock 22 I have to have a very tight belt or it hangs out.  I am not skinny so this becomes very obvious.  With my little KelTec P3-AT I can use it with a paddle holster even with gym shorts on and no belt.  One size doesn't fit all so I have a small, medium, large setup depending on what I am wearing and how hot it is outside.

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2014, 07:47:54 PM »
check out simply rugged.
http://shop.simplyrugged.com/
got one for my Ruger .44 mag but they make others.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2014, 10:00:44 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I love my Comp-Tac Infidel Ultra for IWB carry, but I do think a purpose built belt will make that so much better and this is the first thing I want/need. I'll start looking into the companies that have been mentioned.

endurance

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2014, 10:04:02 AM »
Thanks for all the suggestions folks. I love my Comp-Tac Infidel Ultra for IWB carry, but I do think a purpose built belt will make that so much better and this is the first thing I want/need. I'll start looking into the companies that have been mentioned.
While Bullhide Belts makes gun-specific belts, I have to say that these are my favorite:
http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Money-Belt_ep_59-1.html

They're plenty rigid to serve as a gun belt, just be sure to read the measurement instructions if you order one.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2014, 11:25:40 AM »
While Bullhide Belts makes gun-specific belts, I have to say that these are my favorite:
http://www.bullhidebelts.com/Money-Belt_ep_59-1.html

They're plenty rigid to serve as a gun belt, just be sure to read the measurement instructions if you order one.

I was looking at those a couple days ago. I keep a few 20's tucked away in my wallet and I really like the idea of having them in a belt as opposed to my wallet. And hey, the more bills in there the more rigid it will become, right? ;)

Niccolum

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:32 AM »
Just make sure if you're getting a special/custom belt that it's something you're going to routinely wear with anything you might have on when carrying (within reason obviously). I have a standard, good-quality, wide leather belt that I wear with jeans, shorts, and business-casual pants. I make sure everything I buy fits that belt because if I carry, I want to make sure my holster has a good, consistent foundation.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 09:39:27 AM »
Just make sure if you're getting a special/custom belt that it's something you're going to routinely wear with anything you might have on when carrying (within reason obviously). I have a standard, good-quality, wide leather belt that I wear with jeans, shorts, and business-casual pants. I make sure everything I buy fits that belt because if I carry, I want to make sure my holster has a good, consistent foundation.

Agreed, I've owned my current belt for over ten years, it's time to change. The only time I don't wear it is if I'm in a suit, and then I carry a TCP in my pocket.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 12:49:51 PM »
My son has a crossbreed OWB for his Sig 45.  It holds that big lump of steel high and tight.  UGLY, but functional. 

I carry my Kahr in a Nemesis pocket holster 99+% of the time now.  It is too easy not to.  I usually carry it in my front weak hand pocket (trained as it was my BUG) with a home made wallet mag carrier in a back or cargo pocket. 

Offline jhull87

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2014, 05:22:26 PM »
What about a Walther PPS. Single stack 9mm or .40 cal? Or Kel-Tec makes a single stack 9mm similar to the Ruger LCP (can't remember the model right now. I've got one I'm looking to sell, PM me if interested). The Ruger and Kel-Tec can both be carried in a front pocket but make sure you dedicate that pocket to a carry pocket IMHO. I'd hate for weapon to go off just cause it got caught on my car keys  ;).  Now, as far as being uncomfortable while carrying...Wear it ALL the time. In the car, when you get home, working, in the garden...wear it. The more you wear it, the more natural it will feel. I carry a double stack in winter just cause more layers can cover it. But I've started carrying in a Nate Squared (N82) holster. I started using the tuckable holster. I've learned tucking in an undershirt and keeping my outer shirt untucked, it works pretty good.

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2014, 07:00:46 PM »
Thebeltman.net

Can't recommend this dude enough. If you think a gun belt has to be tight to hold up your gun and pants, you are incorrect. Great belts.

Offline trekker111

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2014, 07:40:35 PM »
I have used a lot of different belt and holster combos over the years, and actually have come most often to use a blackhawk  cqc paddle holster in conjunction with a leather dickies work belt, the ones with 2 rows of holes. That dickies belt is actually stiffer and thicker than some of the belts I have had which were made for carrying.

I carry both my glock 22, and my glock 27, in a cqc designed for the 27. The 22 just sticks out the open bottom a touch. It's not bulky and most of the time I don't even notice it's there. I have caught myself putting my hand on my hip to make sure it was still there. To conceal I just untuck my T-shirt.

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2014, 08:00:33 AM »
Thanks for the continued recommendations. I think for my next OWB holster I'm going to look at leather that my belt feeds through. I like the idea of having it right on my hip, and a shirt over the top still keeps it semi concealed. I think my biggest gripe with my Uncle Mike's paddle holster is how far out it sticks from my body.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2014, 08:22:34 AM »
I use leather from time to time. It is more comfortable and the gun will be very snug against you. The downside of leather is that most will be difficult to re-holster if you draw. Just something to consider. Be prepared to spend upwards of $100 for a good leather holster.

endurance

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »
Thanks for the continued recommendations. I think for my next OWB holster I'm going to look at leather that my belt feeds through. I like the idea of having it right on my hip, and a shirt over the top still keeps it semi concealed. I think my biggest gripe with my Uncle Mike's paddle holster is how far out it sticks from my body.
No matter what you carry, if it's on the point of your hip, it's going to stick out a lot.  I prefer IWB at 5 o'clock, but even a belt holster at 4:30 will take a lot of that hip profile away.  There's just so much space at the small of the back, it's just the easiest if deep concealment is your top priority.  If draw speed is your top priority, then you're stuck with a hip holster, but life is a compromise.