Author Topic: Tumeric  (Read 40758 times)

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Tumeric
« on: July 26, 2014, 10:39:51 AM »
Does anyone else take Tumeric?

When I remember, I have been taking it, in pill form BID. I started taking it due to being an antioxidant and cancer preventer, since 9 of my family members have had cancer.

In the last few months, my muscles (not my joints) have been killing me like I have been bucking hay all day for the first time, each and every day. I can barely move in the mornings and it does keep me awake at night. Initially I wrote the pain off as getting wimpy since I was down for that 100-somedays. After 6 weeks, I ought not be in pain daily any more I figure. Even getting older, I do not think I ought to have this kind of muscle pain.

Then reading up more on Tumeric, I find out that  turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory goodies, and also helps to improve circulation and prevent blood clotting. Turmeric has been used in traditional medicines for easing the pain of sprains, strains, bruises and joint inflammation, as well as for treating skin and digestive issues. The healing power of turmeric comes from its active ingredient – curcumin, which lowers the levels of two enzymes in the body that cause inflammation.

So now I am going to take 4 pills BID and see what happens. I know I took one last night before bed and I woke up at least 50% less sore.

Has anyone else worked with this herb? Why and how is it working for you?

Cedar

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Tumeric
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2014, 10:59:33 AM »
This is one of the supplement's I've been considering adding to my regimen, but in the more direct form of Curcumin.  I haven't pulled the trigger, so to speak, mainly because I'm still researching it.

Have you found a reason to take turmeric over curcumin?

The Professor

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2014, 01:56:42 PM »
Have you found a reason to take turmeric over curcumin?

Availability?

Cedar - Who is in for a ham & cheese sandwich, and tumeric with milk

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2014, 02:25:24 PM »
Can I make one small correction?

The spice known as "turmeric" is made from ginger and is spelled with 8 letters. But the first instance of the letter "r" in that word is a silent "r" which leads many people to correctly pronounce it as "tumeric" with 7 letters. But then they later wind up misspelling it with just those 7 letters, leaving out the silent "r."

Here is 7-second-long YouTube video clarifying that the word is a) spelled with 8 letters, and yet b) the first "r" is silent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6LcNmU2nOc

And yes. I take the spice made from ginger. :) Magical stuff! It'll cure whatever ails ya'!

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
In the last few months, my muscles (not my joints) have been killing me like I have been bucking hay all day for the first time, each and every day. I can barely move in the mornings and it does keep me awake at night. Initially I wrote the pain off as getting wimpy since I was down for that 100-somedays. After 6 weeks, I ought not be in pain daily any more I figure. Even getting older, I do not think I ought to have this kind of muscle pain.

Then reading up more on Tumeric, I find out that  turmeric possesses anti-inflammatory goodies, and also helps to improve circulation and prevent blood clotting. Turmeric has been used in traditional medicines for easing the pain of sprains, strains, bruises and joint inflammation, as well as for treating skin and digestive issues. The healing power of turmeric comes from its active ingredient – curcumin, which lowers the levels of two enzymes in the body that cause inflammation.

So now I am going to take 4 pills BID and see what happens. I know I took one last night before bed and I woke up at least 50% less sore.

Cedar

Cedar, you might be developing the same problems I have been facing: bursitis, and possibly gout. And turmeric WILL help you with either one of those maladies (at least they helped me).

Here are my two medical-ish threads I posted over the past couple years where I discuss those two medical problems I was/still am facing and battling. Turmeric --in my experience-- aided tremendously in my effort to combat the inflammation from my bursitis, as well as the crystals from my gout.  Took just three days of a radical change in my diet --including ingesting massive amounts of kale and turmeric-- and I felt worlds better.

From January of 2013 (my battle with bursitis):
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=25911.msg455880#msg455880 

From May of 2014 (my battle with gout):
http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=49719.msg564688#msg564688

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »
I have had gout twice.. in my feet. That felt like walking on glass shards. This is deep tissue muscle pain, no joints are affected. It doesn't feel to be in the bone at all.. ALL over my body. Head to toes. Not like I have been beaten by a baseball bat or anything, but more like the first morning after I ran a dog sled team for the first time in my life, it was BRUTAL to move for the next two days. But less intense.

I know I work hard and I lift WAY too heavy of things for me, but I always have. I used to have muscles to be admired.. and my surgeon who delivered SP when I was 43 even commented on my muscles, "As a woman I am envious of your abdominal muscles, but as your surgeon, I wish you were a bit more of a couch potato."

This pain is ... you know when you did a good workout for the day doing something and you are sore, but a happy muscle sore because you know you did something that day? This is like a step above that, and not-so-happy and all over body, other than my fingers and my ears.

It feels like I did something strenuous all day to warrant it, but I cannot figure out what I have been doing daily to make myself feel that way after weeks of being able to be active again. If it was the first week or two, sure.. but not by now. So by deduction, I am thinking it is an in-house problem of some kind. If I keep moving, I am fine. Sit for an hour or so around 9 pm, in bed by midnight, and I am awake often until 2 am recently from soreness-pain. When I get up in the morning I am hobbling for 30-40 minutes. This was not a problem that started and then progressively got worse, it was like BOOM. There is no real fluctuation from one day to another.. I would call it a solid 7 out of 10 for about 5-6 weeks or so now. Which is about the time I recovered from my broken rib/intercostal scenario.. and I may have been sore before that up to the point of when I broke my ribs, but if I did, I was just attributing it to the injury. The rest of me feels fine.

The plan is to blast myself with the Tumeric and see what happens. If all is good and I end up not being sore, stop the Tumeric and see if it comes back. I am going to research "Monday Morning Disease" in horses as now that I am typing all this, as I remember reading an article about draft horses in the 1800's with it. They worked 6 days, rested Sunday and were stoved up on Monday. And vaugely I remember some of the symptoms from it.. and they are alikened to mine.

I do remember your threads.. thanks for posting them again and I will re-read them.

Cedar

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 04:31:59 PM »
Is turmeric only good for non-joint pain? 'Cause my knees have been acting up in the past year or so. Part of it is that I'm out of shape, but I feel like I should be able to at least squat down and stand back up without limping for a few minutes afterwards (since I'm 25 and all).

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 04:43:20 PM »
Is turmeric only good for non-joint pain?

Apparently joints too. It is an anti-inflammatory for all body parts.
http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/ (most sites say the same thing).

Cedar

Offline MaddoginMass

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2014, 07:08:51 AM »
I'm looking into an anti-inflammatory for sinus issues.  Where do you buy your tumeric?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2014, 08:50:37 AM »
I'm looking into an anti-inflammatory for sinus issues.  Where do you buy your tumeric?

Costco.

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2014, 09:22:00 AM »
Does anyone else take Tumeric?

When I remember, I have been taking it, in pill form BID. I started taking it due to being an antioxidant and cancer preventer, since 9 of my family members have had cancer.

Cedar

Cedar,

I take it also for the same reasons.  If I do a lot of hard work, it's double up on the dosage.  According to Dr Bharat Aggarwal, who has studied Turmeric/Curcumin for 30+ years at MD Anderson Cancer Center, thousands of trials, you can't take too much.

Oil Lady, Turmeric is not ginger, I grow both and they are in the same family, but totally different plants.  (Think how sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes are same family but different plants.)

AvenueQ, it works on all inflammation not just joins or muscles.  Helps with allergies, or at least the inflammation part.

Turmeric is about 4% Curcumin naturally, extract concentrates the Curcumin to 95% typically.  So there is a rather large difference between spice Turmeric and capsule Curcumin.  Also, pepperine (black pepper) helps the body absorb Curcumin, so eat black pepper with Turmeric (common blend in Indian spices) or look for Curcumin capsules that include pepperine.

~TG

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2014, 12:27:46 PM »
Day 1... Full 24 hours, took 8 tablets. 50%+ less sore than I have been in WEEKS! I was not hobbling this morning. Starting Day 2, have taken 4 already.

Cedar - who is INDEED getting to fence today *WOOHOO*

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2014, 04:12:47 PM »
Day 1... Full 24 hours, took 8 tablets. 50%+ less sore than I have been in WEEKS! I was not hobbling this morning. Starting Day 2, have taken 4 already.

Testimonies like this make me so angry with the current state of control and bias in traditional Western medicine.

Congrats, Cedar! :)

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2014, 04:13:30 PM »
Oil Lady, Turmeric is not ginger, I grow both and they are in the same family, but totally different plants.  (Think how sunflowers and Jerusalem artichokes are same family but different plants.)

Thanks! (and sorry for my mis-info.)  8)

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 09:58:53 AM »

Quote from: Cedar on Yesterday at 01:27:46 PM

Testimonies like this make me so angry with the current state of control and bias in traditional Western medicine.

Congrats, Cedar! :)

Awesome Cedar!  Glad you are back doing the things you want to get done.

Oil Lady, we have to remember that our medical system was hijacked more than a century ago when the Rockefeller Foundation began funding medical schools and hospitals that supported aleopathic medicine.  This corresponded with the Rockefeller's heavy investment in pharmaceuticals.  So the bottom line... even today... prescribe a pharmaceutical in order to treat a person, for life if needed.  The holistic approach is to treat a person in order for them to heal.  Not nearly as much money in the latter.

The sad thing is that most of the physicians of today are schooled against alternative medicine.  LOL.  "Alternative" medicine has centuries old history, modern pharmaceuticals only one.  Which one is really "alternative?"

I look around at people of today, most are obese, unhealthy individuals.  Look at the diabetes... over 25 million Americans have it,  I remember the average people around when I was a child, few were fat.  Look at pictures of people from the 40's, 50's, and 60's.  We were mostly a lean and healthy nation.  That was before trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, high gluten wheat, statin drugs, and the plethora of psychotropic drugs, all of which were developed to increase corporate profit, not enhance our nutrition/health.

And the corporations, the doctor's they have helped train, the government they have infiltrated or bought-off, will all defend the corporate line unto death. Despite the in-your-face actual results of holistic/herbal medicine and food based solutions.

~TG
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 10:04:03 AM by TexasGirl »

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 10:33:02 AM »
So, kind of a silly question. Will it work just as well if I crush up the pills? I can't swallow the uncoated ones I got from Costco over the weekend.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2014, 11:54:54 AM »
So, kind of a silly question. Will it work just as well if I crush up the pills? I can't swallow the uncoated ones I got from Costco over the weekend.

Cook with it. Add it into your foods.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2014, 11:59:12 AM »
Day 2

Still have sore muscles, but not nearly as bad as it has been for weeks. However, I did bash myself up pretty good yesterday fencing, for example a bruise/series of bruises from knee to ankle where something slid down my leg, and a hematoma on the inside of my wrist to 1/4 of the way up my palm on my right hand, which also feels like muscle strain in my wrist. I hurt myself enough each and every day that I actually really never know where my bruises come from. Which is why I also never wear shorts and wear long sleeves on a hot day.

But my feet are not hurting, my other parts which have classically been hurting for weeks, seem to be better.

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2014, 12:28:14 PM »
Day 2

Still have sore muscles, but not nearly as bad as it has been for weeks. However, I did bash myself up pretty good yesterday fencing, for example a bruise/series of bruises from knee to ankle where something slid down my leg, and a hematoma on the inside of my wrist to 1/4 of the way up my palm on my right hand, which also feels like muscle strain in my wrist. I hurt myself enough each and every day that I actually really never know where my bruises come from. Which is why I also never wear shorts and wear long sleeves on a hot day.

But my feet are not hurting, my other parts which have classically been hurting for weeks, seem to be better.

Cedar

Well, it's entirely possible to overwhelm anything.

I'm big on eating fresh pineapple, too.  It has a natural healing enzyme.  That's why my greenhouse has over 3-dozen pineapple plants in it, along with Turmeric, ginger, horehound, epazote, oregano, parsley, catnip, and aloe vera.  The cilantro died for some reason.  Horseradish, and garlic are out in the garden, but I may try them in the aquaponics gravel next year.  I'm told you can't do root crops, but there are leeks and ginger growing in pea gravel right now.

I'm known to push the envelope.  :badgarden:

~TG

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2014, 12:41:48 PM »
With having food poisoning the last 24 hours.... my stomach/lower abdomen was still killing me and I was still not able to sleep by 2 am. Like doubling over in pain pain, clear to my back. Porcupines rummaging around in there or something.... But since I was starting to get hungry (I hate it when you are hungry and nauseous at the same time), I got to wondering... so I took 2 Tumeric tablets and I didn't throw them up.. so 20 minutes later I took two more. Within 20 minutes my stomach cramps stopped. Like a lightswitch off.

So if Tumeric is an anti-inflammatory, it stood to reason that inflammation was causing my pain too.. and it seemed to have worked. I am not convinced on that, but it seemed to have worked.

Cedar - who now has a broken toe and should have just stayed in bed all week.  :'(

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2014, 02:10:02 PM »
With having food poisoning the last 24 hours.... my stomach/lower abdomen was still killing me and I was still not able to sleep by 2 am. Like doubling over in pain pain, clear to my back. Porcupines rummaging around in there or something.... But since I was starting to get hungry (I hate it when you are hungry and nauseous at the same time), I got to wondering... so I took 2 Tumeric tablets and I didn't throw them up.. so 20 minutes later I took two more. Within 20 minutes my stomach cramps stopped. Like a lightswitch off.

So if Tumeric is an anti-inflammatory, it stood to reason that inflammation was causing my pain too.. and it seemed to have worked. I am not convinced on that, but it seemed to have worked.

Cedar - who now has a broken toe and should have just stayed in bed all week.  :'(

Ouch, girl!   

Glad the Turmeric helped...  I haven't been nauseous in like 14 years but thought if I ever did to try allspice.  It's the #3 antibacterial, and I know when it's used on over-easy eggs it eliminates the icky egg belch afterwards.

Take care of yourself Cedar, hope you are better soon.

~TG

Offline Oil Lady

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2014, 03:23:27 PM »
Warm thoughts heading your way. :)

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2014, 06:05:30 PM »
I have liked tumeric for my non-asian rice dishes for quite some time, but haven't cooked with it in a while for some reason.  I may have to get back to doing that.

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2014, 07:54:46 PM »
Great info on tumeric. And great reference for all supplements with no commercial bias.
http://examine.com/supplements/Curcumin/

Online David in MN

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 05:34:36 AM »
I squeeze a pinch into everything. I find it works well in fish, eggs, and salad dressings. It's rumored to be the cause of long life in India and in addition to muscle/joint health has a reputation for organ health (mostly liver).

I don't know if it's real or not but it does round out the flavor of a few dishes I make, so why not?

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 06:22:18 PM »
Anyone used it to treat tendinitis? My knee flared up pretty bad today, I'm assuming it could work since it's an anti-inflammatory.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »
my wife has been taking it for her inflamed knees/ankles and it's helping.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2014, 08:31:48 AM »

I have taken tumeric for headaches and stress at times. I think you can order it in pill form from swansons for a pretty reasonable price. Somehow I ended up with more than I need. I have several bottles of it. I have taken it in the extract form as well. It does seem to help at times .. I have also cooked a bunch of chicken in a ton of tumeric once

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 01:05:36 AM »
I bought some fresh turmeric root at an Indian grocery store recently. I had some with scrambled eggs

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 08:40:36 AM »
  I take it for my I.B.M. a form of M.D. . I be leave it helped in dropping my CK emzine level. I started at 2400 and after ten years could not get lower then 300. I started the Turmeric and it finely dropped to 202. My inflammation numbers are still high.