Author Topic: Tumeric  (Read 40757 times)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
Re: Tumeric
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 11:49:56 AM »
As of Dec 1st, 2014, I added 500mg Turmeric and 4g of Astaxanthin to my daily supplementation.

Now, about 7 weeks later, I've experienced a noticeable decrease in joint and connective tissue pain.  I first noticed this about 3 weeks into the regimen. It was so drastic that I recommended the same addition of supplements to my wife at the first of the year.  She is just now starting to notice an improvement.

The Professor

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 11:57:49 AM »
I am starting again... I have been bad and cannot remember if I had not taken it in days or weeks... but I opened a new bottle yesterday and have them in a place, where it is in my face, so I remember to take them.

It does not seem to work on my migraine surfivor.

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2015, 03:19:42 PM »
I bought some fresh turmeric root at an Indian grocery store recently. I had some with scrambled eggs

How was it?  I've never cooked with the fresh root, despite growing it here.

Theraputically it generally takes a large quantity of Turmeric to make a difference.  I read somewhere that Turmeric naturally contains about 4% Curcumin, which is the active ingredient and also responsible for the bright yellow color.  Capsules are generally Turmeric extract of which many are standardized to 95% Curcumin.  Big potency difference over the common spice.

~TG

nelson96

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2015, 04:37:09 PM »
As of Dec 1st, 2014, I added 500mg Turmeric and 4g of Astaxanthin to my daily supplementation.

Now, about 7 weeks later, I've experienced a noticeable decrease in joint and connective tissue pain.  I first noticed this about 3 weeks into the regimen. It was so drastic that I recommended the same addition of supplements to my wife at the first of the year.  She is just now starting to notice an improvement.

The Professor

Thanks Prof
I just did a copy/paste of your post and texted it to my wife who has continued to complain about knee pain.  I don't know if this will help her, but it's worth a try...  Her doctor thinks her knee pain is atributed to arthritis.

Offline John Doe

• Survivor
  • Central Virginian Prepper
    • My personal prepper blog
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2015, 07:40:17 PM »
I squeeze a pinch into everything. I find it works well in fish, eggs, and salad dressings. It's rumored to be the cause of long life in India and in addition to muscle/joint health has a reputation for organ health (mostly liver).

I don't know if it's real or not but it does round out the flavor of a few dishes I make, so why not?
John Gray  (Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus author) spoke about that & ALL the other studies & benefits of Turmeric on C2C & I've taken it since then, great stuff!!

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 10:07:06 AM »
How was it?  I've never cooked with the fresh root, despite growing it here.

Theraputically it generally takes a large quantity of Turmeric to make a difference.  I read somewhere that Turmeric naturally contains about 4% Curcumin, which is the active ingredient and also responsible for the bright yellow color.  Capsules are generally Turmeric extract of which many are standardized to 95% Curcumin.  Big potency difference over the common spice.

~TG

It wasn't bad .. I have various tumeric pills and all also

Offline Eriko

• Survivor
  • What one thing did you do today to prep?
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 02:02:28 PM »
I use it to good result. I had heard that turmeric and ginger together work better so I pick up a big bag of ginger powder and one of turmeric powder at the Indian grocery. I have them mixed together in a gallon jar for ease of use.
Even better than it working on me (because I know I can be placebo'd in to believing it is working) I use it for my dog who has terrible arthritis. Poor girl is a cancer survivor and has had both her knees pinned and then surgery to remove the pins when she broke them being too active. I give her about a tablespoon of the turmeric/ginger powder mixed in with some "chicken gruel" (chicken gruel is bones & skins and "parts" cooked in a pressure cooker and then blended up. Useful for hiding pills and powders from dogs)  :P when she's in discomfort and it really seems to help her a lot. (she's a big girl so her dose is high)
We also mix it in with my bodybuilder husband's shakes when he's over done it at the gym.
Great stuff and an important part of my preps.
Cheers,
Eriko

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 06:25:39 PM »
I started taking turmeric about a month ago.  Residual inflammation in my hands that my prescription anti inflammatory and methotrexate did not conquer was almost completely eliminated.  This is due to rheumatoid arthritis that I have had for 28 years.  I have been riding round up the last two weeks riding about 5-6 hours per day and then working cattle in pens (on foot) for another few hours.  We have covered about 50 square miles of desert and high desert mountain country.  Normally after the third day I have to let the younger generation take over the riding.  But I am still going strong.  The only thing different is adding 2 500 mg whole turmeric twice daily to my prescription meds.  I think it has really helped.  I have taken fish oil for years as it helps the joint pain as well.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2015, 07:42:30 PM »
Z is like a really 'prove it to me' person... but a few weeks ago he started taking my tumeric pills and he says it is helping his 'tennis elbow' he got when we were doing some project he got hurt on.

So today I came across this recipe... as the tumeric pills we have are like horse boluses, and I nearly choke on them every time. And I thought this would be a 2-fer-1 recipe, as I love teas, but rarely drink them. 

Turmeric Tea

1/3 cup / 80 ml good, raw honey (I used ours)
    2-1/2 teaspoons dried turmeric (My neighbor called a few weeks back, said there was a sale on it and picked some up for me)
    Lemon
    Lots of freshly ground black pepper

Work the turmeric into the honey until it forms a paste. You can keep this on hand, in a jar, for whenever you'd like a cup. (I made a full pint as I was going to do this daily for 2 weeks even if it tasted horrible -- which thankfully it doesn't).

For each cup of tea, place a heaping teaspoon of the turmeric paste in the bottom of a mug. Pour hot (but not boiling water) into the mug, and stir well to dissolve the turmeric paste. Add a big squeeze of juice from a lemon, and a good amount of black pepper. Stir now and then as you drink so all the good stuff doesn't settle to the bottom, or top off with more hot water as you drink it.

Even Z who was suspiciously looking at it and saying "Do you know what this looks like?".. tried it and he said it was much better than he was anticipating.

Turmeric tends to stain anything it comes into contact with, so be careful.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2015, 08:04:18 PM »
1 hour update:

I actually made the Tumeric Tea today because I was having another wicked headache, took multiple Advil, multiple hot showers to keep from throwing up (the showers tend to knock it down from a 10 to a 6?) and nothing was really working. Sword through my left eye sorta one.. and I am working on a theory after I envisioned that my headaches make my brain swell (maybe my brain doesn't swell, but it feels like it), so I took the tea... and you know.. I am almost afraid to say my headache is now gone an hour later. I will be trying this again when I get the next headache.

Cedar

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #40 on: May 07, 2015, 11:54:41 PM »
Tumeric helps with brain swelling ?

Maybe I need to post the word "Tumeric" on teh fridge to try on my next headache time

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2015, 10:44:15 PM »
Turmeric is anti-inflammatory according to Dr Aggarwal at MD Anderson Cancer center.  That's the key to its success.

A long-time friend my age has had dual shoulder surgery.  The last was problematic.  She has been on several meds trying to tolerate swelling and pain.  Recently she went into kidney failure from all the meds.  A week in the hospital and what she felt was almost death has changed her view on meds.  Well, they took her off most everything.  So, last week she was moping around in pain and extreme stiffness.  I handed her a bottle of Turmeric Extract (95% Curcumin) and told her how much my neighbor takes for his hip.  Today she bounces up with a huge smile and says the Turmeric works better than the cocktail of meds the doctor gave her, without the side effects.

Cedar, if you are taking the spice, I'm told its about 4% Curcumin.  You may wish to try the 95% extract.  A lot more punch in a smaller capsule.

~TG

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2015, 11:06:56 PM »
I am a fan of tumeric, we are going to start giving it to our oldest dog as she has a lot of issues and I think the anti swelling properties would help.

nelson96

« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2015, 07:01:37 AM »
Cedar, if you are taking the spice, I'm told its about 4% Curcumin.  You may wish to try the 95% extract.  A lot more punch in a smaller capsule.

I think she's getting hers at Costco like we are.  It has 95% curcuminoids.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2015, 08:30:23 AM »
I was taking the Costco pills. Around 6 a day. Z started taking them too. Then I found the tea recipe and I think it is working better than the pills. Maybe I need to take the Black Pepper with the Costco pills? I am on day 3 of this experiment. Then I will quit taking the tea for a week or two, and see what happens. I just know I was not waking up in pain the last two nights (I fractured my back in 2006? 2007? and the left side always swells when I overdue it for the day).

"Piperine (which is in Black Pepper)  is said to help make curcumin more bioavailable. Otherwise your body digests the curcumin before it can get the curcumin to where it needs to go for inflammation. This increases the amount of any drug or supplement that can be absorbed by the body. studies have been conducted on humans and laboratory animals. One study found that when even 2g of curcumin was ingested, its serum levels were very low. However, when 20mg piperine was added to curcumin the bioavailability increased by 2000%. The bioavailability, serum levels and levels of absorption of curcumin all improved dramatically.  Thus, if one tales turmeric, most of it is unutilized unless supplemented by addons such as black pepper. Piperine in black pepper can trigger TRPV1 (transient receptor potential vanilloid type-1) in the body. This triggering can reduce pain. Piperine is also used as an analgesic cream that can be applied topically on the skin to relieve pain. Some studies have focused on using piperine as a new way to kill chronic pain – especially neuropathic pain which is untreatable. "

Turmeric and Black Pepper is considered very safe but there are a few possible side effects....
*** Black pepper must not be consumed in excess of 1 tsp a day when certain medications like digoxin or phenytoin are being taken.

*** Turmeric supplements (pills) must not be consumed in excess and for long periods. This could cause indigestion, dizziness, nausea or diarrhea. Those who are pregnant and breastfeeding are advised to avoid all types of herbal supplements. Diabetic patients, those due for surgery and those with gallbladder problems must also stop using turmeric supplements, as Taking turmeric might slow blood clotting.

Cedar

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2015, 02:58:16 AM »

I have headaches sometimes as well .. Right now I have been a bit off as I have done alot of contracting and have not had a long vacation in quite a while. I have been stressed a bit lately. My contract may end in June ..

I take some tumeric at times but not alot every day

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2015, 09:07:08 AM »
Happy Mothers' Day...

Cedar, did they elaborate in the warnings?  How much would be considered "excess" and would this be across the board, or more of a risk in certain cases?

I tend to see ambiguous warnings as either CYA for some entity, or scare tactics from those that don't want you to reap benefits.  According to the Aggarwal book, the M.D. Anderson studies found no toxicity or side effects for 16 grams per day of Curcumin, the equivalent of one cup of Turmeric spice.

If black pepper isn't your thing, grapefruit juice, fresh pineapple juice, or whole milk, will also aid in absorption, as will a meal containing oil (such as olive) or dairy (such as yogurt).

Dr Aggarwal recommends 500 mg of Curcumin per day for general health.  It's found to combat more than 70 maladies, including cancer, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, and alzheimer's disease.

I dosen't appear you need to worry with the amount or duration you are taking.  In India it's used daily for life, their low cancer rates (4% in the 80's) is what sparked investigation into Turmeric.

~TG
« Last Edit: May 10, 2015, 09:38:40 AM by TexasGirl »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2015, 09:34:03 AM »
Of the Tumeric TG? Apparently you cannot really OD on it, but use common sense. Like those people who turned blue from too much colloidal silver, you might not want to be orange mimicking a manilla envelope for the rest of your life either.

Some warnings:
http://besthealthygarden.blogspot.com/2013/08/be-aware-of-turmeric-side-effects.html

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2015, 09:52:43 AM »
I'm not familiar with a single case of a person turning yellow from ingesting Turmeric, however it will stain things it comes in contact with.

I doubt you even need to worry about turning blue from commercially made collodial or ionic silver, either.

http://www.naturalnews.com/035219_colloidal_silver_blue_man_skin.html

~TG

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
I'm not familiar with a single case of a person turning yellow from ingesting Turmeric, however it will stain things it comes in contact with.

I was just teasing. A few years ago I turned orange from eating a yam for lunch every day for a week. I never noticed until a 4 year old asked me, "Cedar, why are you orange?" And I said, "You silly thing, I am not orange!" and then I looked in the mirror and went "OMG I AM ORANGE!".. it lasted for a few days after I quit eating yams. But tumeric does contain beta-carotene.

Cedar

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2015, 10:48:10 AM »
But some folks may not realize you can tease or have a sense of humor.  Afterall, you are Cedar, the icon of knowledge.

Mmmmm.  I'm thinking sweet potato for lunch now.  But not too big...

I have a Souis vie roast beef invite for dinner tonight.  I did "Mother's Day" with my grown kids Thursday while down visiting, but the neighbor girl here has invited me over tonight.  She has a deadbeat mom somewhere who ran off years ago.  I take this pre-teen neighbor shopping, to movies, help her with crafts, watch her tumble in the local parade, etc.  Last year I got this handmade Mother's Day gift from her, I was taken back.

She is related to guy that ditched the hoveround with Turmeric.

~TG

nelson96

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2015, 11:08:29 AM »
I have a Souis vie roast beef invite for dinner tonight.

:P The only way to cook beef roast in my opinion.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »
:P The only way to cook beef roast in my opinion.

Yeah, it's like prime rib.  I'll take my fresh grated horseradish in vinegar for a condiment.

~TG

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2015, 02:25:56 PM »
...I have a Souis vie roast beef invite for dinner tonight...

Sous-vide

nelson96

« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2015, 04:31:40 PM »
Sous-vide

Meany, we knew what she meant.  ;)

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
Meany, we knew what she meant.  ;)
Nobody can mangle French like Texans.  ;D

nelson96

« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2015, 05:18:37 PM »
Nobody can mangle French like Texans.  ;D

:rofl:

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2015, 07:43:40 PM »
Actually, I post from a stupid, highly invasive, politically correct, android "smartphone" because I'm off grid.  It's a challenge to get much of anything correct on here.  Pepper survival mechanic teams I typed "prepper survivalist technical terms"  so you get the idea.  It doesn't speak French either.

But the beef is awesome.

~TG

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2015, 05:08:11 AM »
Her phone texts do give me a lot of laughs. Smart phone it ain't

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2015, 05:15:44 AM »
Why am I typing at TSP at 4am? I am guessing because I did not do tumetic the last two days and I woke up stiff and sore in my hips, legs and back. I did nothing strenuous yesterday other than move hatching eggs to the incubator. With my previous back fractures holding multiple trays of turkey eggs where I was leaning with no support  makes my back start hurting pretty quiçkly actually. And that is what I did just before bedtime.

Back to tumetic tea again tomorrow and see what happens.

Cedar