Author Topic: 3 projects to remove invasives  (Read 1603 times)

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
3 projects to remove invasives
« on: August 02, 2014, 03:52:35 AM »

I have three possible projects:

1. There is a bunch of poison ivy growing in part of the side yard encompassing maybe 200 square feet. It was originally growing in a large rotted old stump, a kind of natural huggle bed.  I destroyed many of the larger vines, but it has tried to spread into the yard more. This area gets a fair amount of sun. My thoughts are either cover it with cardboard, then dirt and maybe plant raspberries there or something. I am not sure. I could also cover it with black plastic or a large tarp and see if that will kill it off a great deal. Jack had mentioned using tarps, but some light gets through a tarp I think ?

2. on the far edge of my property there is alot of bitter sweet that is behind a bunch of sumac. I have thought about cutting it down as much as I can and covering it with black tarp to help push it back as it is very thick in there.

3. My mother's raspberries have been destroyed a great deal by a ground cover known as perrywinkle vine. I may try something similar as item 1 from above.

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: 3 projects to remove invasives
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 01:59:47 PM »
i used thick mill. black plastic for fungus and other issues killing , works great.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 01:14:48 AM »
i used thick mill. black plastic for fungus and other issues killing , works great.

The thicker black plastic costs more. I considered puttiing a tarp down and then black plastic over that. The tarp will protect the plastic was my thought. 3 mil plastic is the cheaper option it seems

Offline Bolomark

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 04:19:13 PM »
as long as it helps heat build up. it can actually sterilize the soil.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 08:23:39 PM »
For the poison ivy, you need to get the roots or it will just sprout up again. 

Check out the articles on how to eradicate poison ivy on You Bet your Garden

Basically you wet the area really well and gently pull it out, being sure to get all the roots.  He goes into some detail on protecting yourself on there also.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2014, 11:23:41 PM »

If you left black plastic on long enough I guess it would kill roots, but it might take a couple years.

I had put black plastic around part of my yurt to kill japanese knotweed. It's been on for a few years and most of the stuff is finaly gone.
This guy told me panels on the ground help to inhibit frost heaves around a building, the yurt is on a platform so maybe leaving the black plastic there will help with that ?