Author Topic: Sport bottle after use storage  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
Sport bottle after use storage
« on: September 13, 2014, 07:03:24 PM »
  Went on a plane trip last week and brought our Sport bottles. Worked great filling from water fountains and other sources.
Now back home I want to know how to store these after use. I saw about rinsing with a weak bleach solution but
should I also try to get the filter a dry as possible for storage, If so how do you suggest I do this.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Sport bottle after use storage
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »
I do not own a SPORT,but I played the part of a survivalist on a cable show.

Here is what I have seen to do: This bottle has a shelf life of 50 years.  When the filter system will not be used for an extended period, flush the unit with a chlorinated solution of 1/4 tsp. per one half gallon of water.  Allow to dry thoroughly with cap removed.  Re-assemble and stow.  Do not allow filter to freeze, do not place in microwave oven, and do not run hot water through the filter.

I would use two drops of non-scented bleach for an hour soak ,(or long enough to get into filter element)and then dump and allow the sport to air dry.

The Berky Guy should be along to give his advice soon.

Offline theberkeyguy

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Berkey Water Purification Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Thanks for much for what you said here, I also recommend drying out the filter, by letting it sit for up to a month.

theberkeyguy

Offline Roamer

• Survivor
    • Homesteading in Zone 9
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:30:06 AM »
  Thanks for the reply. That is what I thought. We got the kink out of the straw by placing a bamboo skewer in it and
letting it sit for a couple days.

We used the bottles even at our Sister-in-laws house. She gets her drinking water out of the refer door despenser.
She is on a well with very hard water and no treatment other than the carbon filter in the refer. One day I just
drank her water without using the Sport Bottle. I got what we call agita. Heartburn. Went back to bottles.