Author Topic: fruit trees  (Read 2907 times)

Offline robt871

• Survivor
fruit trees
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:59:44 PM »
I have 1 cherry tree, 1 apple and 1 peach tree.  or i will have in 2 weeks when the house closes.
my question is, how much do you prune? and care for such trees. thanks

Offline sneauxball

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: fruit trees
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 09:21:52 PM »
If they are established trees, I don't think you have much to worry about.  We can't grow cherry or apple trees here (well, it's not suggested), but with these types of fruit trees you really only need to prune the suckers, anything growing below the single trunk, or anything growing out of the root (a lot of fruit trees are grafted onto a different variety with a stronger rootstock, but non the same fruiting characteristics). 

You might want to consider fertilizing in the early spring, and keep an eye out for any pests, but established fruit trees are very easy to care for. 

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 04:45:48 PM »
thanks for the idea on fertalizer, I dont know how long they have been in the ground, but arent real big .

Offline Bloodyboots

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 12:25:38 AM »
We were in the same situation about five years ago, so lets see.

Pruning, the best explanation I've had yet is prune the Apple tree so you can throw a cat through from any side.  :o\
When you get fruit, the branches are really gonna bend, and if you don't prune them thin, Crack! Trust me we lost 2 thick (6 inch) Branches the second year. they will Always throw out a ton of "water suckers" at every little split. These little suckers get cut off every time you see them! Otherwise they grow straight to the sun and very thin! When they get fruit....Crack! off they fall.

You might want to consider calling a few local tree trimmers and see if any have an Arborist on staff. If so, get them to come by and give a quote to prune the trees for fruit! not shade!

We thought we were doing well, until the two limbs broke off while full of apples! Since we called for a professional trimming, and bugged them about why they were cutting those limbs off and what we could do to keep the trees healthy. We now have Apples galore!.

Apple pie, Applesauce, apple fritters, apple pancakes, apple dumplings, fried apples, baked apples......You get the idea!

mtforge

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 11:04:41 AM »
My wife is the gardener but I get to do the pruning and such. A good resource is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_jqgWXlUHM
It gave me a chance to see it and hear why they did it. We also have a lot of books about it. It always seems like I'm cutting too much but like Bloodyboots said you should be able to throw a hat through the middle. I think a cat would spread out and catch a branch, but I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I should ask my wife if I can check it out.  ;)

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2009, 11:37:18 AM »
Apple pie, Applesauce, apple fritters, apple pancakes, apple dumplings, fried apples, baked apples......You get the idea!
Hard apple cyder....

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2009, 09:50:21 AM »
Most apples are not self fertile or many are only "partially self fertile" so it may be a good idea to add a second apple.  If you don't really need another apple you can also do a crab apple and get some tart little apples that are good for improving cider and it will grow really fast.

When doing cross polination with apples too you want to consider bloom time.  If you know the variety pick another variety that blooms at the same time. If not observe next spring when you get blooms and buy a second accordingly.  Or you can just hedge and buy a mid season bloomer right away and most likely will be fine.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2009, 10:28:03 AM »
Somewhat off-topic, but a great way to use tart apples is to bake them in a pie and add saffron. Saffron is extremely expensive, but you don't need much. Add two ground sprigs instead of cinnamon and it adds a very nice flavour. Your pie will look like pumpkin, and it will surprised people when they eat it.