Author Topic: Day of Wrath by William Forstchen  (Read 9579 times)

Offline TheRetiredRancher

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Day of Wrath by William Forstchen
« on: October 06, 2014, 04:51:00 PM »
A new novella by the author of One Second After.  Very well written but what an ugly picture.  He writes about a coordinated ISIS attack on The US.  Who else has read it.

Offline shambo

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Day of Wrath by William Forstchen
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 08:15:39 PM »
I just finished it last week and you are right.  It is a very ugly tale.  I didn't feel the same way when I finished it as I did when I finished One Second After.  After One Second After I felt scared and then I wanted to garden and get a water supply and to become more self sufficient in all the ways we discuss on this great forum.  After finishing Day Of Wrath I felt helpless.  I felt ashamed when I realized that we all are vulnerable to that kind of blind panic.  I could see myself rushing those schools especially after having a front row seat to the murders at Columbine HS just a few miles away.  And watching the local law enforcement sit in peoples front yards for hours and do nothing for hours and hours.   >:(  This scenario seems unlikely as it was laid out in the book, it is still plausible. :(

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 11:33:33 AM »
If it is like One second after, he is probably writing to encourage change of national policy rather than individual response.  On Second after had lots of implications for the individual, but if you look carefully you see they were really trying to get a change in federal preparedness and response.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 11:53:34 AM »
Pilgrim, you are right, there is a definite policy bias to the book.  He really pushed for teacher to be armed.  He also was pro everyone being armed, but with better training.  Jack would like his view point on shelter in place for school safety (don't do it.)

Offline atherts

• Survivalist Mentor
  • TSP and Guinness Supporter
    • Karott Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 12:29:59 PM »
I finished it a couple of weeks ago. I loaned it to a few like minded friends via Kindle.
It was disturbing and plausible. It did leave me thinking and having a few bad dreams that night.

A new novella by the author of One Second After.  Very well written but what an ugly picture.  He writes about a coordinated ISIS attack on The US.  Who else has read it.

Offline Kilroy

• Survivor
  • Have gun, will travel
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:09:35 AM »
Have it on Audible on recommendation of my sweetie.  In the vehicle on Friday and hope to listen to it then.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:14:10 AM »
Just finished the audiobook yesterday.    Very disturbing and unsettling given this morning's events in Paris. 

For those who are not familiar with John Giduck's book  "Terror at Beslan", you should read the book and watch the HBO documentary "Three Days in September" narrated by Julia Roberts.

Many of Forstchen's events in "Days of Wrath" are taken from the Islamic-Chechen terror attack upon the school in Beslan.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:34:28 AM »
I read this last fall.  Gave me the chills, but was well written.  Fast read for sure.

I recommended to a few (non-prepper) friends, and they are all terrified.  Some are asking to come along for gun range trips.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 04:07:09 PM »
For those who are not familiar with John Giduck's book  "Terror at Beslan", you should read the book
That man (Giduck) is serious damaged goods.

Google and 5 minutes of clicky will provide ample evidence.

If Forstchen pulled from Terror at Beslan he has damaged his case.

endurance

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 04:28:45 PM »

+1  Good point

Offline bob3

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 04:37:31 AM »
Day of Wrath was so powerful because it was short and possible.  Sure, there were points scored against parts of society the author wanted to smack a bit, but it didn't seem too far from justified.  A scary read, because it hits close to home.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2015, 09:10:09 PM »

I was referring to the school attack that Forstchen pulled from, not the book specifically.   

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 07:31:33 AM »

I was referring to the school attack that Forstchen pulled from, not the book specifically.
Fair enough.  However I respectfully disagree with your recommendation that people read "Terror at Beslan."

Offline 2paranoid

• Prepper
  • You can never be 2paranoid...
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 08:05:36 AM »
Fair enough.  However I respectfully disagree with your recommendation that people read "Terror at Beslan."
Can you elaborate? What did Giduck get wrong about Beslan that would damage Forstchen's credibility in "Day of Wrath"? For the record, I've never heard of Giduck, nor have I read "Tower of Beslan".

I'm about a third the way through "DoW" now on Kindle and it's very well written, but nauseatingly realistic and totally plausible. I feel like I'm reading a blueprint for what's to come. It's the same feeling I got after 9/11 when I realized that Tom Clancy has done the same thing with "Debt of Honor".

I've got to hand it to Forstchen - he really knows how to hit hard at where you live. Between "DoW" and "One Second After", he's given me more nightmare fuel than anyone else. Steven King is a piker by comparison.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 08:53:51 AM »
Can you elaborate? What did Giduck get wrong about Beslan that would damage Forstchen's credibility in "Day of Wrath"? For the record, I've never heard of Giduck, nor have I read "Tower of Beslan".

I'm about a third the way through "DoW" now on Kindle and it's very well written, but nauseatingly realistic and totally plausible. I feel like I'm reading a blueprint for what's to come. It's the same feeling I got after 9/11 when I realized that Tom Clancy has done the same thing with "Debt of Honor".

I've got to hand it to Forstchen - he really knows how to hit hard at where you live. Between "DoW" and "One Second After", he's given me more nightmare fuel than anyone else. Steven King is a piker by comparison.

+1

I also am not familiar with Tower of Beslan.  As a kindle owner, I read a LOT of cheap or free prepper/dystopian fiction when I have time to kill. 
Most of it is REALLY bad.  So bad it's like watching a horror B movie from the 1970s.

So many authors in this genre write protagonists who validate the author's own beliefs.  You see this in JWR.  His SHTF scenario conveniently makes his own preps perfectly suited.
Even Glen Tate does it to a degree when all that pancake mix stashed at his cabin allows civilization to continue.

But William Forstchen will take a relatively squared away character/group, and drop horrible tragedy that no one could prevent.  It's dark, and it's not very actionable to prevent if you read this stuff as study material.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 11:12:53 AM »
If you look at this week's Charlie Hebdo massacre you see very similar coordinated terrorist commando raid on two targets disrupting Paris and taking all police special forces to address. Multiply that by 30 - 40 and Fortschen has really nailed it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 04:01:15 PM »

Day or Wrath is not discredited.  However talking about Terror At Beslan rather than simply the incident does not lend credibility.  Forstchen did not mention it, it was brought up by a poster.  I have no particular issues with Forstchen or his work. 

Now Giduck is personally discredited reference his credentials as an expert on terrorism.  His list of credentials are very odd and hint around qualifications that would make sense for a credible expert but are not.  My Yahoo search for his name and only his name turned up his own website as the first hit and the next 5 were about him being a fraud and poseur.  I tend to agree.  I first heard of him during on of LTC David Grossman's "Bulletproof Mind" seminars prior to a deployment.  In it, Grossman recommended Giduck and "Terror at Beslan."  Grossman characterized him as a Special Forces soldier.  Later I worked in a support capacity with the 10th Special Forces Group.  One of the repeated claims of Giduck is working with 10th SFG in various capacities (depending on when the claim was made and who is making it).  I was informed by group members including the Group JAG at the time that Giduck is PNG with 10th SFG and with the Special Forces Association (SFA) of Colorado.  They want nothing to do with him.  According to one, the group spent money to bring him in to teach some classes.  They were of very dubious value, expensive and afterwards were grist in Giduck's mill of claiming he was a "special forces instructor."

His other issues are well documented and as I said, a few minutes on google.

As to Terror at Beslan.  It is oddly biased towards the perspective Russian security forces and didnt even include the normal thick skinned AAR comments of mistakes made.  Even a cursory look at the Beslan case highlights many issues with the siege at the tactical level. I will not delve much deeper than to say that citing discredited people is not a good way to make a case.

REITERATION:  William Forstchen does not quote or cite Terror at Beslan or any other Giduck work in Day of Wrath that I can recall.  Giduck and Terror at Beslan was brought by another poster.  I also am in no way criticizing that poster.  I was taken in by Giduck's work for years and even looked into getting him to come speak at an active shooter training when I was a reserve deputy (till I realized how much money he was charging).

Offline 2paranoid

• Prepper
  • You can never be 2paranoid...
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2015, 04:53:58 AM »
Roger all that. Thanks for the clarification.

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:49 AM »
I read this last fall.  Gave me the chills, but was well written.  Fast read for sure.

I recommended to a few (non-prepper) friends, and they are all terrified.  Some are asking to come along for gun range trips.

The part that frustrates me is that the potential events as outlined in this book seem so obviously possible; and while LE train for active shooter scenarios, the people have done relatively little aside from feel good measures, none which would stop a motivated group of attackers, to secure schools and protect the public and parochial school children in the USA.   

We keep living in this fantasy world that 'it can't happen here'.  I shudder to think of the repercussions of totalitarian measures our government will be willing to take if/when it does happen here. 

Offline Kilroy

• Survivor
  • Have gun, will travel
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2015, 11:15:30 AM »
Law Enforcement will continue to train for the most likely event as far as active shooters are concerned.  The events in Day of Wrath would require specialized training in response to something akin to a 'take over' type robbery, yet requiring immediate entry to stop/contain the killing.  Tactics required would require the will and wherewithal to conduct.  Of course you now have law enforcement 'militarized' and that brings its own baggage.

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2015, 11:21:16 AM »
I think Forstschen was really pushing more for armed citizens than militarized police.  Eve  the best meaning police can only be in one place. 

Offline hackmeister

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Beer, linux and prepping!
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 08:26:12 AM »
In light of the recent San Bernadino and Paris attacks this book is even more important to read. Imagine a Mubai or Paris type of attack but on a massive scale. School districts, law enforcement and honest law abiding citizens need to prepare if this ever became reality. It's sad world we live in but we must be vigilant against these savages.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 09:16:41 AM »
*SPOILERS*

One area that I suspect Forstchen did pull from Giduck is his portrayal of terrorists using sexual assault as a weapon to make the attacks more horrific.  Giduck's Terror at Beslan is the most prominent English language source I am aware of that claims that systematic sexual assault was used at Beslan by the terrorists.  I put the caveat of English language since I simply do not know what non-English sources are saying.

What I do know is that outside of Giduck, I cant find much on that allegation outside of the usual sources (Pamela Geller, Jihad Watch).  Information generally wants to be free and with over a decade between the event at the present day including many survivors now openly talking about the incident I strongly suspect it didn't happen. 
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2739729/The-Beslan-survivors-decade-hell-Ten-years-horrific-school-siege-children-caught-suffering-five-case-studies.html

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/01/beslan-school-massacre-ten-years

To be honest, the events of Beslan and Day of Wrath are horrific enough without it and the addition of it without being a documentable tactic just weakens the argument.  As near as I can tell that tactic is mostly documentable in situations where the threat group has territorial possession of an isolated area.  They seize a town for instance in an isolated area where the government is in no danger of taking it back from them anytime soon...or is more often perpetrated by government forces since they have the time and are not worried about having the town taken back from them.  I have not found instances where a group taking possession of such a small location, with imminent threat of being stormed by security forces, used such a tactic.