Author Topic: Fixer's newbie food forest  (Read 6540 times)

Offline fixer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Fixer's newbie food forest
« on: December 10, 2014, 06:19:32 PM »
I'll dive in with both feet and show my humble beginnings.  18000 sq ft city lot zoned residential/agricultural, and has a 3 stall barn that needs work.  Nothing has been growing there but tumbleweeds for who knows how long.  Very flat, Zone 10b (west San Fernando Valley / Los Angeles).  Will be adding chickens, ducks and rabbits soon and hope to grow as much of their feed as possible on the back half of the lot.

I've planted a pakistani mulberry and a honey locust, with more fruit trees to come.  This past weekend, I prepped half of the animal pastures for winter planting with another half to come.  Mainly Peaceful Valley Chicken Forage Blend and Good Bug Blend

Hopefully not too late to get in some various winter veggies in the human food garden, just going to broadcast sow mixed veggies & clover this year

Compost bins are built, with worm bin and a larger BSFL bin to come.

I have a bunch of seeds to plant, debating if I start them inside under lights thru the "winter" or just direct sow.

Ceratonia Siliqua, Lespedeza bicolor, Gleditsia triacanthos inermis, Kale White Russian, Mangel Wurzel Mammoth Long Red, Swiss Chard Lucullus, Urtica dioica, Chenopodium album, Morus nigra, Leycesteria formosa, Achillea Millefolium White, Chicory Italian Dandelion Chicory. (=Chiccoria Catalogna)

I also have 6 Moringa seedlings just planted and several comfrey from Coe's leafing nicely

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
Re: Fixer's newbie food forest
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 06:41:20 PM »
Looks great. Are you going to Xerascape due to your location? Greywater?

Cedar

Offline fixer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
Planning greywater from laundry and from the bathtub, in the spring.  Just have to dig some mulch filled trenches and make sure what I plant where.

I got this plot seeded this morning with Chicken Forage Blend from Peaceful Valley. Then covered with a bit of straw, hopefully enough to keep the birds from getting all the seeds before they germinate. Hoping we get some rain in the next day or two so I don't have to hose it down.

Offline CandyBabyE

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2014, 07:44:02 AM »
You have pretty good size lot for the Valley.  Zone 10b you must be pretty far west like almost to Ventura.  Looks great so far.  Keep posting pics. It's always good to see what others are doing.   ;D

Offline fixer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 12:29:45 PM »
I have no exact way of knowing 10 vs 10b, just basing it on the maps I find online.  Winnetka, 91306.

A long overdue update:  I planted the second pasture zone without tilling.  Partially as an experiment to see what tilling helped or hurt with but also since I didn't want to rent a tiller for another half day. The stuff planted on Dec 11 is coming in nicely on the tilled side, the stuff planted a few weeks later on the untilled side is just starting to show.

Then, I planted about 20 fruit trees (counting pomegranate & mango as trees, might not be technically correct!).  I just got a few more berries and herbs & pollinator attractors to plant this week.

I also put in a fence to separate the dog/human zone from the critter zone.  I used 4x4s on Oz-Posts (from Home Depot), driven in with a jackhammer at 8' intervals.  I then drilled holes for eye bolts and put up some cattle panels.  I bent pieces of rebar into an L shape and dropped them thru the eye bolts, giving me a sturdy fence that can be removed section by section if ever required.

Also coming in the next week or two is the chicken coop & rabbit hutches (as stopgaps until the barn can be shored up and re-roofed).  My landlord is hatching out some of his Barnvelder chickens, plus has a rooster and some Muscovy ducks for me to get started with.  Also, the rabbits are coming with the hutches, standard Rex.

Not garden related, but I also have finished the shell of the 16x12 outdoor canning kitchen/abattoir.  Next step, running water.

I think the Facebook album is set to public:
https://www.facebook.com/fixer/media_set?set=a.10153117116539988.1073741848.605779987&type=1

Offline jamendjr

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 04:26:16 AM »
Looks great, and green...cant wait for green here.

Offline fixer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »
dupe

Offline fixer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 07:35:35 PM »
Anyone with suggestions for a shrub layer, for zone 10 (although Monrovia.com zip code lookup says I am Zone 9?), preferably a safe feed for rabbits, chickens and ducks?

I have a few blueberries, raspberry, golden raspberry, blackberry, boysenberry and goji berry already.

Looking at Leucaena , New Mexico Elderberry, Skunkbush Sumac, Mexican sunflower.

I just noticed I used the FB page links not image links.

Spring update, everything is growing snd blooming, a muscovy is sitting on a clutch of eggs now, the double laced Barnevelders moved in last night.

The temp coop until the barn is rebuilt:

New gates:

the mixed seed randomly sown winter garden

Bonnieblue2A

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 08:15:29 PM »
Wow, that is really looking fantastic.  Great work!  :clap:

Are you able to grow comfrey? It may require some watering and I would fence the birds out of it so it doesn't get trampled. however, it is a great bio-accumulator and will help your poultry get some of their much needed minerals.

Offline David in MN

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 08:23:44 PM »
Impressive. My eye caught arugula flowers immediately. (Arugula with poached eggs and shaved Parmesan is one of my most beloved breakfasts.)

Looks great, makes me envious, and makes me want to see more. Keep up the great work. I wish I could provide advice but we're practically on different planets. Thanks for the inspiration.

Offline fixer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 06:48:07 PM »
Wow, that is really looking fantastic.  Great work!  :clap:

Are you able to grow comfrey? It may require some watering and I would fence the birds out of it so it doesn't get trampled. however, it is a great bio-accumulator and will help your poultry get some of their much needed minerals.

I do have 6 comfrey plants going!

Offline fixer

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 06:50:43 PM »
Impressive. My eye caught arugula flowers immediately. (Arugula with poached eggs and shaved Parmesan is one of my most beloved breakfasts.)

Looks great, makes me envious, and makes me want to see more. Keep up the great work. I wish I could provide advice but we're practically on different planets. Thanks for the inspiration.

The arugula is all over, I think it's part of the Peaceful Valley "Good Bug Blend" which I planted all along the edges of the mulch paths around the fences and center drive.