Author Topic: Home birth of new grandson  (Read 6622 times)

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
Home birth of new grandson
« on: January 13, 2015, 09:48:40 AM »
I had two of my kids at home, on purpose, with a mid-wife.  Better than a hospital setting.

My oldest daughter had her 2nd one at home, birthed in water.

My daughter-in-law just had her 3rd home birth.  The easiest one yet. I didn't make it to the first birth, she lived further away then, but I saw the last two. Her second one was scary, she was hemorrhaging and her midwife panicked.  The midwife also had an MD with her.  She ended up with an ambulance ride to the hospital and a blood transfusion. 

This time she asked very specific questions interviewing midwifes. Did a lot of research.  How should her last birth have been handled?  How do your handle hemorrhaging? Can you use Pitocin? Under what circumstances. What do you do if...? and found a midwife she loved even if in involved an hour ride to the midwife's office. 

My grandson was born around 3 PM.  Because of past history, pitocin was given after birth, no hemorrhaging. Labor started that morning.  9 lb 4 oz.  Very healthy, sucking on his fingers, eyes open.  Mom got to hold her new baby right away, nurse him, etc.  Bonding time with family.

Would I recommend birth of a baby at home without a good midwife?  No.  Don't "accidentally" have a baby at home.  Pre-natal care checks many of the things MD's check. Reassuring to have someone knowledgeable and check the baby and make sure things are going well.  Trick is finding a good midwife.  And a good midwife while take you to the hospital if needed.

Not all hospitals, doctors are accepting of midwifes.  You must have messed up, done something wrong if the laboring mom has to come in. Other hospitals work well with midwives.

Talking with one of my friends, she didn't realize the amount of training a good midwife has.  The assistant who traveled with this midwife has finished her schooling, in her training phase, part of that is being present for 100 births with increasing responsibilities.  (100 is what I heard, seems like a lot, it would take time to finish that phase of her training.)  More experience than most doctors have before delivering babies.

As the midwife was training the intern and educating us, she spread out the placenta and explained what to look for, to check for missing pieces, etc.  Now we do know that placenta can be used to reduce hemorrhaging and other things if someone wanted to go that route.  Some people make a cast of the placenta, did we want to do that?  Another thing I hadn't heard of was to plant a tree in the baby's honor, planting the placenta with the tree.  My daughter-in-law choose that option.   

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Home birth of new grandson
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 11:41:34 AM »
Congratulations to all the family.

Offline Aniera

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 12:59:11 PM »
Those are some great stories to hear! We (well more like me) chickened out for our first baby that is due in March and decided to go with a birth center than a full blown home birth since we are about 20 to 30 minutes from a hospital. Maybe for another birth we will try home birth though, with of course the right conditions like your daughter-in-law. We are really excited about the birth center though, it really feels like home with a lovely large bath and bathroom, an access to a kitchen, and all that is staffed by midwives. Definitely worth the 1.5 hour drive compared to just a regular hospital setting with no midwives.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Those are some great stories to hear! We (well more like me) chickened out for our first baby that is due in March and decided to go with a birth center than a full blown home birth since we are about 20 to 30 minutes from a hospital. Maybe for another birth we will try home birth though, with of course the right conditions like your daughter-in-law. We are really excited about the birth center though, it really feels like home with a lovely large bath and bathroom, an access to a kitchen, and all that is staffed by midwives. Definitely worth the 1.5 hour drive compared to just a regular hospital setting with no midwives.

Yeah, I did that with my first, and after hard labor seatbelted into the front seat of the car, stuck in rush hour traffic on the freeway, I did have the other 2 at home. But, I likely never would have had the confidence without the birth center (which was a converted house, no more than one or two births at a time)

Online Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 08:39:31 PM »
I hemorrhaged pretty bad with my first.  Most likely cause - low iron.  I had low iron in all five, but my first midwife did not tell me the potential problems from low iron.  My next one did and she made sure I was taking supplements and whatever to bring it up to an acceptable (if still on the low end) level.  I did not hemorrhage again....

oh, and Happy baby to you and the parents.

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 09:12:03 PM »
Hour and a half away?  Not sure I'd want that long of a car ride while in labor, helps to be able to walk around, change position. Not to mention trips to the bathroom.  Yet I also know my midwife had several families which traveled an hour plus to her birthing center because there was no hospital near their home in case of complications.

First birth usually has a longer labor.  I remember waking up in the middle of the night, thought I'd messed up my back (back labor), realizing I was in labor we took our other 2 kids to our neighbors and my husband drove (quickly) the 15 minutes to the hospital.  When I got there and they got me strapped up to monitors, etc it was time to push the baby out. 

On my first child, if someone had mentioned a home birth, I'd have been quite hesitant. Never had a baby before, how would I know everything was being done right, more trust in the hospitals than midwifes back then.  Having done both, I give the midwives more trust.  They do a better job with care for mother's comfort, well being. 

Her iron was slightly on the low side, not bad.  I don't remember whether she had low iron or not on the previous one.  She hemorrhaged some with all 3 previous births, first was at hospital. I'll have to ask her.

Thanks everyone. 

It is important that the birth mother is comfortable in her surroundings.  Yesterday the midwifes came in, checked vital signs, estimated it would be an hour or possibly five, so they left, hung out at a truck stop 5-10 minutes away with instructions when to call them back. They had found if they hang around some mothers get nervous, they feel baby need to hurry and come now, not to waste their time.  Watched pot doesn't boil type of thing.

Other thing we did was major remodeling of her bedroom this fall.  Several things she wanted to change in her house, I suggested starting with their bedroom so she'd have a room she loved to have the baby in.  She and her husband scraped off the popcorn ceiling, tore out the old carpet.  I painted walls, ceiling, closet, trim.  Helped to put in wood laminate flooring.  New bedroom door, also white, amazing how much sound a solid door blocks out vs the cheap hollow bedroom doors. We protected the new floor for the birth of the baby.  Taped down plastic (painter's) sheets, covered with an old canvas cloth so it wasn't slippery, plastic cover on bed before sheets, etc. 

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 10:00:01 PM »
I hemorrhaged pretty bad with my first.  Most likely cause - low iron.  I had low iron in all five, but my first midwife did not tell me the potential problems from low iron.  My next one did and she made sure I was taking supplements and whatever to bring it up to an acceptable (if still on the low end) level.  I did not hemorrhage again....

oh, and Happy baby to you and the parents.

turns out the best thing, absorbtion wise, for iron is yellow dock root, a fresh decoction(chop up the cleaned root and boil the heck out of it). Tastes nasty, you mix it with honey. This is the best pregnancy iron source you can do, and yellow dock is a common field weed

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 10:10:42 PM »
 8)  Congrats to all! 

Offline ResidentCelt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Doing my best on 1/3 acre
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 06:57:49 AM »
Some people make a cast of the placenta, did we want to do that?  Another thing I hadn't heard of was to plant a tree in the baby's honor, planting the placenta with the tree.  My daughter-in-law choose that option.   
Drying and encapsulating the placenta for the mother to take is also an option. Helps with postpartum depression and just energy levels in general. My wife had the placenta encapsulated. Sounds gross, but once it's in the little pills it doesn't look or taste like anything but a vitamin supplement.

Offline Aniera

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
Hour and a half away?  Not sure I'd want that long of a car ride while in labor, helps to be able to walk around, change position. Not to mention trips to the bathroom.  Yet I also know my midwife had several families which traveled an hour plus to her birthing center because there was no hospital near their home in case of complications.

Yeah... I am not looking forward to that part at all, I think once I get confirmation that it is probably the real deal contractions we will drive in, when hopefully it isn't as bad. I think what gave me a bit more confidence to brave it out was some of the other moms in orientation that were going to have to drive even farther than us (due to traffic, not miles). Definitely don't envy them of their drive, they will be having to drive through the highways around New Orleans while we just have a straight shot with interstate 12. That sounds like a really good idea though, getting the room all set up nice just as she wants it before the baby and a win win that you get a nice master bedroom out of it too :)

Also great tips on the iron supplements, I think I will have to look into that yellow dock root for sure. I know my last blood work showed that I was on the lower end of where my iron levels are supposed to be.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 12:24:00 PM »
Yeah... I am not looking forward to that part at all, I think once I get confirmation that it is probably the real deal contractions we will drive in, when hopefully it isn't as bad. I think what gave me a bit more confidence to brave it out was some of the other moms in orientation that were going to have to drive even farther than us (due to traffic, not miles). Definitely don't envy them of their drive, they will be having to drive through the highways around New Orleans while we just have a straight shot with interstate 12. That sounds like a really good idea though, getting the room all set up nice just as she wants it before the baby and a win win that you get a nice master bedroom out of it too :)

Also great tips on the iron supplements, I think I will have to look into that yellow dock root for sure. I know my last blood work showed that I was on the lower end of where my iron levels are supposed to be.

Yeah, that is what we thought. But, I guess I did most of my labor quietly, while I slept. I woke up to my water breaking, then spent over an hour, probably and hour and a half strapped in the car stuck in rush hour traffic. We did make it in the door of the birthing center, and she was born quickly.

There are pros and cons to this kind of timing. I was well rested which was good, but disoriented, because I had to start pushing right when I go there and emotionally I wasnt realy quite ready to be there yet...

Offline TxMom

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 08:29:16 AM »
Drying and encapsulating the placenta for the mother to take is also an option. Helps with postpartum depression and just energy levels in general. My wife had the placenta encapsulated. Sounds gross, but once it's in the little pills it doesn't look or taste like anything but a vitamin supplement.

Yes, that is one of the things discussed during pre-natal visits.  She wasn't sure she wanted to brave such. Planting a tree for the child with the placenta appealed to her.

You never hear about this kind of stuff at a hospital. 

Offline ResidentCelt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Doing my best on 1/3 acre
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 10:17:58 AM »
You never hear about it because that kind of stuff is the least of your concerns in an emergency medicine situation. Somehow in the last 100 years westerners have decided that having a baby is always an emergency and expensive emergency medicine should be the first course of action. I'm thankful it exists, but it's not necessary for most births.

Offline AutumnDawn

• Prepper
  • Building a new life
    • Autumn Dawn
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »
Congrats!

My 3rd baby was a homebirth and a breeze compared to my 2 hospital births. Best thing to do is to educate yourself on the entire process and how any emergency is handled. Then it'll be easier to make a call on bugging out to the hospital. ;)