Author Topic: Nxtdoc's Garden  (Read 2779 times)

Offline nxtdoc

• Fledgling Prepper
Nxtdoc's Garden
« on: February 06, 2015, 10:57:33 PM »
In the southern part of zone 9B we can start our gardens early.  Last average frost is about March 5th.  I thought I would post some pics and get everyone ready for spring. 

Offline nxtdoc

• Fledgling Prepper
Re: Nxtdoc's Garden
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 11:01:16 PM »
This closet has a south facing window and a florescent light already in place.  I have a second portable florescent light that I put on the top shelf for additional light.  This has become my nursery and the plants seem to like it.   

Offline busymomx3

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Starting to get the hang of this.
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 10:26:46 AM »
How great that you are getting your seeds started.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2015, 10:32:22 AM »
Ok. what have you got growing in there?? Curious minds want to know.

Cedar

Offline nxtdoc

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2015, 10:11:39 PM »
My goal is a garden full of heirloom vegetables that includes exotic, colorful, and flavorful vegetables.  I look forward to decreasing my grocery bill, but also to eating seasonal foods that are fresh and to dinners that evolve from whatever has ripened.  This is also a great stress reliever and education for my 2 year old son.   We have an average suburban lot meaning space is limited.  I tried to maximize things we buy frequently such as aromatics.  I replaced things like lettuce with perpetual chard that is well suited to this climate and lasts longer than what we buy in the store.  Then I went for prices.  Things we buy, but could grow, that were expensive or have multiple uses, example edible leaves and roots.  Finally, I replaced things that are not suited to this climate zucchini with similar items tromboncino squash rumored to be more flavorful and with a longer shelf life than zucchini.  The list below is my first real attempt at a garden, the spring/summer edition.  More editions to follow.

Heirloom/ non GM
Perpetual Chard (Perpetual spinach)
Delicious tomato
Purple beauty bell pepper
Chioggia beet
Blue lake bush beans
Rattle snake pole beans
Purple top white globe turnip
Golden amaranth
Trinidad perfume pepper
Moss curled parsley

GM