Author Topic: The G5RV ,all band 80 through 10 meter antenna  (Read 8173 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
The G5RV ,all band 80 through 10 meter antenna
« on: February 10, 2015, 12:21:46 PM »
The G5RV antenna is one of the most popular  multi-band antennas in the world.It has good overall performance
on most hf ham bands when used with an external tuner, and allows coax as feedline to the radio equipment.
Note that some internal tuners just don't have enough range to "tune" it.

It was invented in 1946 by Louis Varney, whose call sign is G5RV

The basic G5RV antenna measures only 102 feet across the top for 80 thru 10 meter operation, and is fed at the center through a low loss 34 feet feed-stub. The interaction between the radiating section and the feed-stub makes the G5RV
usually easy to match on all-bands from 80 through 10 meters with an antenna tuner.

The antenna does not need to be put up as a flat-top (horizontal fashion), but can be installed as an inverted-V.
If the antenna is raised as an inverted-V, the included angle at the apex should not be less than 120 degrees.
The ladder Line should not touch metal objects or earth and all connections should be weather sealed. A PVC pipe as a stabilizing retainer or stand off is suggested ,or other insulating material can be used.

The G5RV is capable of multi band service BUT it was originally designed as a 20 meter high performance antenna.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: The G5RV ,all band 80 through 10 meter antenna
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 02:22:46 PM »
Thanks Carl for this information.  The G5RV doesn't look like it comes with a balun as far as I see.  So you recommend adding one?
David

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:09:09 PM »
Thanks Carl for this information.  The G5RV doesn't look like it comes with a balun as far as I see.  So you recommend adding one?
David

A balun helps keep stray RF out of the Ham station...though with a good tuner ,is not needed for the antenna to work.
A 4 to 1 balun aides the tuner in matching some of the tougher bands.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 07:42:27 AM »
Carl, I hope this makes sense.

The power company is setting a pole for a security light in my backyard.  The pole will be located in the corner of my property.  If I use this pole for the center point of this antenna can I run one leg parallel with the back property line and the other leg parallel with the side property line in an inverted V with the end of each leg about 10 ft above ground level.   ????
David

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 08:11:24 AM »
Carl, I hope this makes sense.

The power company is setting a pole for a security light in my backyard.  The pole will be located in the corner of my property.  If I use this pole for the center point of this antenna can I run one leg parallel with the back property line and the other leg parallel with the side property line in an inverted V with the end of each leg about 10 ft above ground level.   ????
David

A sloping "V" is within the collection of good antennas ,though you will not notice about 2 DB gain towards the open side of the sloping "V" it does happen , my 40 meter is actually a sloping "V" in that manner. It will work ,but I am most apprehensive that the power company does not normally allow 'attachments' to their poles in my area and many security ,on at dark' lights generate a good bit of noise PLUS the power company line parallel to your antenna may also induce some noise...

I'd say it looks like a good plan but may have some noise,especially when that light is on,and may get other "NOISE" when power company finds you using their pole. Just be aware of downside possibilities and give it a try.

http://www.antenna.it/military/images%20military/hf.military.antenna.sloping.v.vr23f.pdf

Yours may look like this with a more open angle (90 degrees VS 40 degrees for the more directional military version )as does mine (due to my narrow property.)

Offline helix2301

• Survivor
  • techgeek and ham radio operator
    • The Technology Geek Podcast
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2015, 08:27:14 AM »
You can also use a windom dipole

use a 4:1 balun

The total length of the antenna is 132 ft. with one leg being 88 ft. in length and the other 44 ft. balun is in the middle

this would do 80/75, 40, 20, 17, 12, 10, 6

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2015, 08:37:38 AM »

The total length of the antenna is 132 ft. with one leg being 88 ft. in length and the other 44 ft. balun is in the middle

Yes,though the tuning may be a bit 'sketchy' on some bands as the Windom is at its best as a flat top dipole rather than an inverted "V" and sloping "V" type antenna. The 88 and 44 foot lengths are non-resonant and avoid most extreme SWR troubles . I like coax fed antennas and get good results with non-resonant lengths too. A 6 to 1 balun might allow more frequency flexibility with 88 and 44 foot length, BUT avoid any ODD QUARTER WAVE length of coax.

Good Idea Helix

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 09:58:24 AM »

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2015, 10:30:30 AM »

I'm with you on the noise, I thought the same thing.  My drawing is not as good as the ones you posted but my  configuration will look like this.  Let me know your thoughts on this config please.  The antenna height at the pole will be approx 17 feet above the ground?

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2015, 10:41:21 AM »
The height and angle are good a 4 to 1 balun to feed either antenna we are seeing here should do fine.
Their are so many numbers in my head now ,I say keep a record of what you do and how it works and
we can name it after you.. whether it is the Modified G5RV , or either set of off center antennas ...or your
own decision of what might work...just avoid 1/4 wave multiples af bands you plan to work as the antenna
will tune better(easier) if that is followed.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2015, 01:07:37 PM »
My local library had this book which I recently checked out.

http://www.amazon.com/Arrls-Small-Antennas-Spaces/dp/087259839X

It covers the G5RV and other balance wire style antennas.  I'm currently intrigued by a lot of the designs using balanced (ladder) feed lines like this:

You can find all the designs free with some google searching, but there was something relaxing about holding a book and sipping my morning coffee.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2015, 01:21:18 PM »
My local library had this book which I recently checked out.

http://www.amazon.com/Arrls-Small-Antennas-Spaces/dp/087259839X

It covers the G5RV and other balance wire style antennas.  I'm currently intrigued by a lot of the designs using balanced (ladder) feed lines like this:

You can find all the designs free with some google searching, but there was something relaxing about holding a book and sipping my morning coffee.

The BALANCED OUTPUT TUNER means a tuner with a balun...
Yep and the Balanced feed line is a bit lower loss than coax(even good coax) when high SWR is present
and the tuner makes the radio HAPPY. and while a resonance at the lowest frequency makes that
one band or frequency often work a bit better...it causes most higher frequencies to be much harder to tune...
that is why a NON RESONANT antenna is often touted as better ,because it is easier to tune...
SO MANY WAYS TO DO THE RIGHT THING...no wonder it is often confusing.

Oh yea...that is an excellent book.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »

NOW ur talkin Carl!

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2015, 01:57:27 PM »

NOW ur talkin Carl!

Smurf Hunter made the book comment,but I agree as I am his ELMER.
Though he appears to be pretty much his own Ham now.

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2015, 01:58:36 PM »
The BALANCED OUTPUT TUNER means a tuner with a balun...
Yep and the Balanced feed line is a bit lower loss than coax(even good coax) when high SWR is present
and the tuner makes the radio HAPPY. and while a resonance at the lowest frequency makes that
one band or frequency often work a bit better...it causes most higher frequencies to be much harder to tune...
that is why a NON RESONANT antenna is often touted as better ,because it is easier to tune...
SO MANY WAYS TO DO THE RIGHT THING...no wonder it is often confusing.

Oh yea...that is an excellent book.

I'm going to order the G5RV you mentioned in the OP and set it up the way I showed in my crude drawing.  We will see how it works.....
David

Offline Freedom Forged

• Senior Survivalist
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2015, 02:00:16 PM »
Smurf Hunter made the book comment,but I agree as I am his ELMER.
Though he appears to be pretty much his own Ham now.

Oh sorry, I missed that.  Heck, we'll all have a cup!
David

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2015, 02:09:09 PM »
Oh sorry, I missed that.  Heck, we'll all have a cup!
David

No worry,I often get confused and have to read back what I said before to get back on track. the antenna should do well for tuning and performance depends on your earth ground,soil conductivity,and lets face it ...your good luck.