Author Topic: Wire Jungle Antenna  (Read 16502 times)

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
Re: Wire Jungle Antenna
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 09:45:59 AM »
  Carl,
  I was rereading reply 15 and I got to thinking. It's best to have what you need on hand, but it's good to know how to make it if something should happen. I build a lot of small radios so I know how. I use my IC 706, Paragon and Argonaut V ( on HF ) for my main stay radios. 73 ( Carl is one of my heroes. )

I just don't know how to reply to the hero comment ,but totally agree in knowing HOW and what you can get away with ,as few radios today have the over-engineering needed to operate without good match and WE are often the only safety built in .

There is much more slack built in to HF radio due to the low duty cycle of SSB voice(20%) verses AM or FM (and digital) 80 to 100% and the radios just are not built to take it...a 100 watt SSB radio is often only rated for 25 to 40 watts AM,FM,Digital and many are damaged due to users insisting on running maximum power all of the time ,when it (power) makes so little difference to the signal.

I have on hand what I need ,from SWR meters to analyzers ,to a bit of common sense and would not,unless life or bodily safety were at stake ,try to build an 'off the cuff' VHF/UHF antenna ,the dimensions are just too critical ,that's why I have a dozen or so magnetic mount and BIG STICK,and wire antennas already built and tested and spare antennas and Microphones already in my auto and in my operatings stations.

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 03:35:59 PM »
  Here's a trick from back in the days of DX 60s, Collins, and older tube rigs. Many of theses used link matching in the radio, but some times that was not enough. Run the radio at low power and tune for maximum RF current. Today I could run the radio at it's lowest setting and adjust the antenna to maximum current. That should put me in the safety zone. To play it safe I would run at half power to protect the finals. This is what I did on my attic antenna for my Kenwood dual bander on 2 meters and 220. I didn't have a swr meter for VHF till just recently. The radio has been running fine for ten years now.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 03:54:19 PM »
YEP...YOU were the safety mechanism.