Author Topic: Costs for reloaded Ammunitions  (Read 2574 times)

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
Costs for reloaded Ammunitions
« on: May 04, 2009, 09:17:35 AM »
I figure we make a thread for those of us whom don't reload to get an idea of what you reloaders spend to roll your own.  I've heard a friend does WWII pressure .30-06 for $5-6/20 rounds with new brass.  And something like $3/20 for .223.  What kinda prices per round/box are you guys getting?

Offline Roknrandy

• He That Rocks:Viewer Discretion is Advised
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Master Spammer Obliterator
Re: Costs for reloaded Ammunitions
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 09:19:54 AM »
If you want to get your true cost, Use this http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm and plug in the numbers.

Offline PistolWhipped

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 10:28:30 AM »
Great link. +1.  Though I'd still like to hear what some of you are putting together for your money.

Offline Biff

• Survivor
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 06:29:05 PM »
I've dusted off (figuratively nor literally) my old stock of primers, powder and bullets I bought back in the 90's, and I've figured out it's "costing" about a nickel a round (for 9mm, 38 Special/357 Magnum), maybe even a wee bit less.  Doesn't include the "me" time to do the actual reloading.

Nowdays, the prices of components have skyrocketed.  The primers I picked up for $2.00/box of 100 10+ years ago is now going for $6.00 at a local gun shop (that actually had a small supply in stock.  The cost of powder has just about doubled as well.

But even with the jacked up prices (if you're lucky to find the components) most often it's still cheaper than buying pre-manufactured ammo.  For example, this weekend I went to four Wally Worlds, two Dick's Sporting Goods, and Bass Pro Shops in a quest for 45 ACP.  Only Bass Pro Shops had any - for $40 for a box of 50 JHPs, and there was only one box on the shelf.

The most difficult part is getting the brass.  For the other components, I can either hopefully find it locally, maybe get it online if I move fast enough before they're wiped clean, or barter with my friends.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 08:32:20 PM »
I don't even really track costs anymore since I've made a habit of accumulating supplies consistently over the last few years.  This thread has me wondering so I'll make some effort to estimate my costs.
I've got a more than adequate supply of primers purchased under $.02 each, 223 cases purchased under $.03, 9mm cases under .015, 45 cal cases under $.04... plus i have scavenged brass for years that has no cost
pistol powder under $11/lb, rifle from $10-13/lb, jacketed 9mm bullets, @ $.05-$.085, 45 bullets from $.085-.014, new 223 55g @$.053, pulled 223 55g@ $.032.......

My cast pistol rounds run about $.04 each tops,including 9mm, 45, 44mag or $40/1000.  scavenged lead for years too, have tons with no$ in it
Jacketed run $.09-.15 depneding of the bullet, or $90/1000 up to $150/1000
223 rounds run on average $.13 or so i think..... $130/1000 so that's not to0 bad

bought a lot pre obama years but still found some deals earlier this year that were just now delivered.

I kind of got obsessive about it and turned it into a game and I managed to get some really good deals along the way by digging into every potential source I could find including piggy backing on commercial orders; you can't do that if you are only ordering a few thousand of this or that. 

Not sure how one would account for equipment cost- i have a nice setup with a couple of dillons, and good casting equipment, couple thousand maybe in it.  I enjoy the aming ammo as much as i do shooting it so there are some factors other than cost and avaiability to consider.

Bottom line right now it feels pretty good to know i can turn a bin like this out in a couple hours if i need or want to:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 09:08:52 PM by cohutt »

Offline spartan

• Ass Hat Hitman
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Battle Hippie
    • The Permaculture Podcast
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 06:23:44 PM »
Before prices got really jacked up I was loading a 1000/rds of .45ACP for $95 based on the following assumptions.

Primers: $22
Bullets: $55
Powder: $18
Brass: My own once fired.  $0

If I had to buy brass, add another $50 to it the first time through, but with most of my handgun brass, I just keep reloading it until it starts to show sign of wear and recycle it.  I normally squeeze at least 5 reloads out of a piece of brass.  I also walk the gun range whenever I am there to see if anyone forgot to clean up.

Even now, with the new prices, when I can find components, my price to load 1000 rds really hasn't gone up that much.  The component with the biggest price jump is primers, which have effectively doubled, Bullets and powder are only up a few dollars here and a few there depending on where you buy.  I can still reload 1000rds of .45 for ~$110.  Given the rising prices of ammunition, this is a steal. 

Right now, the biggest place to save money on reloading components is to buy your powder in bulk.  If you find a common powder for your reloads, you can get 8lbs @ $12.50/lb, rather than 1lb @ $20.

Two things I have never worked into the equation is my time, which would add ~$5/box @ $10/hr) or the cost of equipment, about $400 to get setup completely with the press, tumbler, dies for 4 calibers, and shell holders.

But, I'm not too worried about the money I "save", though I do save a good bit in the current market.  I think of it like brewing my own beer, I may save some money but it is incidental to having a better quality product in the end.  I have control over every step of the process.