Author Topic: Custom Pressure Canning Recipes  (Read 6126 times)

Offline claire_mac2013

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Custom Pressure Canning Recipes
« on: March 22, 2015, 12:44:22 AM »
Hi! 

I want to try out pressure canning for the first time.  I'd like to use a borscht recipe that I LOVE and know is fantastic, but obviously I want it to be safe.  I have heard that it's best to use recipes that are specifically designed for canning, but it seems so sad to make a lackluster, standardized soup when you know how good it could be. 

I've searched all over the internet and haven't been able to find a good answer.

Does anybody know?  Do you use your own recipes?  Can you put a personal spin on recipes and still have them be safe?

Thank you!

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
Re: Custom Pressure Canning Recipes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2015, 05:53:06 AM »
I'm a certified Master Food Preserver through the Cooperstive Extension service, so I can give you some guidelines.  I'm on my phone right now & will write some recommendations when I get to the desktop.

If you could post your recipe I can give specific recommendations on that as well. 

Offline claire_mac2013

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2015, 09:51:13 AM »
Wow, thanks so much!  I'd really appreciate your expertise :)

Here's the recipe:

1 onion
4 T butter
3/4 lb beets, julienned
1 carrot, julienned
3 stalks of celery in thin slices
2 peeled and seeded tomatoes
2 big sprigs of dill
6 cups stock
1 T white wine vinegar
1/4 lb cabbage in fine slices
salt and pepper

I read that the level of fat needs to be kind of low... do you think that much butter is too much?

nelson96

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2015, 10:18:31 AM »
 :popcorn:

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2015, 01:41:39 PM »
I would look up the time required for each individual item and use the longest time.
Obviously leave out all the no no items.

Offline danimal

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2015, 08:49:38 PM »
Very much looking forward to reading this thread.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 10:55:11 AM »
I pressure canned my own recipes for the first time. Tastes good.

This one my daughter opened and took for lunch yesterday:

Lebanese Lentil:

8 cups water
1 cup lentils
4 large potatoes, chunked
1/2 c olive oil
6-8 clove garlic, minced
1 T salt
cook until potatoes  soft, 1/2 hour, mash soup with potato masher, add lemon juice from 1 or 2 lemons, (up to 1/4 to 1/2 cup if you have a glut)
add chopped greens

cook until potatoes fall apart

So, I had leftovers of this soup. I packed some into 2 new pint jars, cold, took out air bubbles with plastic canning tool, left 1 inch head space. Put on new regular metal lid (cold). Did the same with 2 pint jars of leftover chili ( also vegetarian with corn kernels). Put into my pressure canner (also cold) followed standard procedure, which has it heated up and venting for 7 minutes, so food jars are heated during this too. popped on the weight (15 pounds) and after reaching it canned for 1hr and 15 minutes. 15 pounds as I am at 2400ft elevation.

It would be better to heat soup as that would be a better fail safe on not getting air bubbles, but I did a good job on that cold, so had no problems. It was only a few jars.

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 08:23:41 PM »
If you could post your recipe I can give specific recommendations on that as well.

Well?
 :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 03:14:09 PM »
OP must have evaporated

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2017, 08:43:00 PM »
I would can that up without the butter, and go with times and pressure for vegetable soup and elevation for quarts.

Cedar

Offline Stwood

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Wut wuz dat Olie?
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 08:12:03 AM »
That's what I was thinking

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 08:01:15 PM »
Some good recipes on here. Will have to try the lentil one. I to can my own recipes. Veg. beef soup, chicken noodle soup and speggetti sauce as well.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 11:31:28 PM »
Some good recipes on here. Will have to try the lentil one. I to can my own recipes. Veg. beef soup, chicken noodle soup and speggetti sauce as well.

That is a great lentil soup recipe, but I need to emphasize here  -- for pressure canning, can without the oil ! While I didnt die, that much oil can cause trouble, so I am told, there is a master canner here somewhere who may be able to explain why -- I think it mostly has to due with wicking up and messing with the seal and you might not notice ? SO I have since then canned all my soups with no oil, and add the oil in when reheating.

I have canned that lemon lentil, a different lentil soup, and split pea dal, from my own regular recipes, leaving out the oil. I also canned gypsy soup, but it didnt seem to translate to pressure canning as well.

I also have made quite a bit of the canning recipe for vegetable soup from the Ball canning book, and used that as plain vegetable soup, but also have used this one as a base alot by reheating with extra water and then adding a couple eggs for an egg drop soup, very filling. When I do this, I use 1/2 of the pint jar ( I live alone presently and can the soups in pint jars) with almost another 1/2 pint water, a bit of extra salt and toasted sesame oil, when it is at the boil drizzle in one raw egg ( pre-stirred together) while stirring, then drop in one more raw egg unstirred, put the lid on to let that one poach.

Offline Applejack

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2018, 06:46:47 AM »
Yes leaving the oil out is a good idea. That is something that can be added. When I do my tomato soup, it needs a thicker and I don't add that when I can but when I heat it up to eat I will add the thicker then. Works out great.

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 07:12:23 AM »
Yeah,I haven't tried canning soups or stews yet but I have read in the blue book that thickeners shouldn't be added before canning.