Author Topic: Bench rest primers  (Read 2051 times)

Offline 96Charlie

• Survivor
Bench rest primers
« on: May 06, 2009, 07:35:17 PM »
Picked up my reloading kit this morning (just a Lee Anniversary edition but figured I'd eaaase into this) and was all excited to find one box of small rifle primers on the shelf which I promptly snatched up.  Now ready to start reloading .223 and just noticed that these are Remington 7 1/2 "bench rest" primers.  First stupid questions of many more to come...are these even usable for my plinking purposes or do I have to jigger the power load, etc? ???

Offline firetoad

• Guardian of The Gateway
  • Global Moderator
  • Dedicated Contributor
Re: Bench rest primers
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 08:07:02 PM »
I have never personally used bench rest primers, but to my knowledge, they are just made to tighter tolerances.  They shouldn't affect your loading.  The cups may not be as heavy gage of material as CCI #41 primers, but you should be OK.

Offline OJ

• Survivor
    • Big O Gunleather
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 09:51:34 PM »
They'll work just fine.  No need to change a thing.

Benchrest primers just have a lot more uniformity than the standard ones, which helps you crank out more consistent loads.  Not a big deal for plinking, but important for high-accuracy loads.

These are the kinds of primers you buy when you're trying to make ONE hole with 5 rounds at 100 yards.  At that point, you'll probably be trimming your brass one turn at a time and sorting it by weight.   ;D

Slightly off topic, BUT......Best investment I ever made in reloading was a hand priming tool.  I went with the Lee Auto-Prime.  MUCH more consistent primer seating than that cheesy primer arm on my turret press.

Offline FreeSpirit

• Survivor
  • Freedom has its $
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 08:58:15 PM »
They'll work just fine.  No need to change a thing.

Benchrest primers just have a lot more uniformity than the standard ones, which helps you crank out more consistent loads.  Not a big deal for plinking, but important for high-accuracy loads.

These are the kinds of primers you buy when you're trying to make ONE hole with 5 rounds at 100 yards.  At that point, you'll probably be trimming your brass one turn at a time and sorting it by weight.   ;D

Slightly off topic, BUT......Best investment I ever made in reloading was a hand priming tool.  I went with the Lee Auto-Prime.  MUCH more consistent primer seating than that cheesy primer arm on my turret press.

+1 they will work fine