Finance and Economics > The Money Board

Coupon savings

(1/11) > >>

rawdog1:
Was asked by DeltaEchoVictor to post A how to on saving money with coupons.This will be  short and sweet .

Fist finding coupons.Look for coupons in news papers ,magazines,at the grocery store.We find ours in the Dallas morning news sunday editions,We buy five or six of them at a time and save all the coupons out of them.

Second. Get organized: place all your coupons in stacks by product. My wife uses A three ring binder with baseball card folders  to separate her coupons by Food stuff,bathroom supplies cleaning supplies.The food stuff She separates into dry goods, fresh and frozen.

Third and most important is to find A store that doubles your coupons. Some Kroger stores do this, most little grocery stores do this also. The store we use is about forty miles away in Oklahoma.So we go about every two weeks or so.

Tricks&tips: If the UPC codes on two different products from the same manufacture math you can use them on one another, IE Delmonte corn coupons can be used on Delmonte greenbeans. And look for sales adds and find what coupons you have for the products in the adds!

I hope this helps and if anyone has any questions feel free to PM us
Thanks to every one
RAWDOG1

Dene B.:
Hey, thanks for the great tips.  I've started using coupons to help stretch my dollars and put away more food to meet my storage plan.  My first efforts were pretty awkward, but I've learned quite a few tricks by reading blogs belonging to coupon experts.  There are some ladies on the web that have amazing money-saving systems! 

One thing that I've found that works for me is buying multiple copies of the Sunday paper that contains coupons.  Our Dallas paper usually has a huge amount of coupons in it, and they even provide an option to buy 2 papers at a slight discount.  It might seem counter-productive to spend money on 4 or more newspapers in an effort to save money, but it really does work.  By obtaining multiple copies, I get multiple coupons for the same items.  This way, when I find a great sale or a loss-leader item in a store, I can buy several of them with my coupons. 

I've also learned to keep my coupons very organized for ease of use.  I purchased a small photo album (3x5 or 5x7 works best) and I place my coupons in the photo pages.  I can easily thumb through the pages and see all of my coupons instead of sorting through a pile of them. 

I've also started using coupons that I can print off from various websites including http://coupons.com and http://www.redplum.com

I also think it's worthwhile to go out to the websites of companies from which you purchase products (like Heinz, Del Monte, Kellogg's, etc..) - almost all of them either offer online coupons or a newsletter that ultimately sends you coupons.   Most of the sites have you "opt in" and give an email address, so you might consider getting an alternate email (like a google "GMAIL" account) just for these offers to keep from having to wade through the tons of spam that usually goes along with entering your email address into any consumer site like these..

I look forward to learning more here at the forum, and I will do my best to share any new information I come across as well.

DeltaEchoVictor:
Oops, missed this.

Anyone else have coupon to tips to add?  I'll tack this to the top & maybe we can get a little coupon database going.

oregoncactus:
Take advantage of sales, coupons, and $x off $XX purchase (for example, $10 off $50 purchase) to expand preps. 

Shampoo, conditioner, deoderant, toothbrushes, toothpaste, razors, and liquid soap can frequently be obtained for free or "make" money after coupons and other store deals.  For example, at CVS (a chain drugstore), a brand name shampoo may be on sale for $2.99 and print a $3 ECB at the end of your receipt for purchasing it.  In the coupons from the Sunday paper there was a $1 off coupon for the shampoo.  So you net +$1 for "buying" the shampoo.  After you initially start this process, you can "pay" for future purchases with the ECB's to really limit out of pocket costs for items.  Walgreens has Register Rewards that work similarly to CVS.  My grocery stores double coupons up to $1, and they also offer Catalina deals that offer $x off your next purchase. 

There are many "deal" websites and blogs that show actual shopping lists of people who do this.  Find ones that work best for your area and read along.  Once you see how deals can be arranged, it becomes easier to figure out your own lists that maximizes items you want to purchase for your daily life and your preps.

Keep a price book!  I am using mine to create a "best price" list that I can read on my phone through google docs.  Then I will know if I see a product on sale if it is a good price or not for me.  I have also started a sales price sheet that will allow me to see trends in sales to know when items are cheapest seasonally.  For example, lately I have gotten BBQ sauce and mustard free after coupons, and in the case of mustard, made money to spend using coupons and catalinas.  Near thanksgiving, sugar goes on sale as a loss leader and it keeps a very long time.

Don't be afraid to check out other shopping stores.  Ethnic markets can have great deals.  So can Whole Foods.  Whole Foods puts out a Whole Deal booklet at the store entrance that has coupons.  They had a coupon for buy 1 Whole Foods brand pasta, get 1 free.  Due to my price book, I knew the deal beat my best price for whole wheat pasta, so I purchased them. 

I look forward to reading everyone's ideas! 

christi

Stein:
There are several websites that help.  The big pain is clipping, sorting and finding coupons.  We save them by the date of the newspaper and never clip until we need it.  Sites like couponmom and grocerygame tell you what is on sale and how to combine it with a specific coupon.  Just go to that date and there it is.  Some of the sites are free and some charge a small fee.

The overall strategy is to find stuff on sale and then use a coupon/rebates on top of that.  There is an unbelievable amount of data out there, they can even tell you when the sale is a great price for a certain item in your area and thus time to stock up.

My wife often gets stuff for better than free.  They pay her $1.50 to take a bottle of shampoo home for example.  Funny thing is that there aren't a stampede of people getting in on the action.  Most people would rather bitch and whine and expect someone else to pick up their slack rather than get out and make their situation better.

We haven't paid for shampoo, conditioner, razors, deodorant or toothpaste for over a year now.  Funny part is we now use the premium stuff for free instead of the cheap stuff we used before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version