Author Topic: Newbie with essential oils questions  (Read 7368 times)

Offline Sunshine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Newbie with essential oils questions
« on: August 01, 2015, 06:16:39 PM »
Hi ladies!!

I am very new to the boards and have been reading a lot.  Thought I'd throw this out there in hopes that someone (or many someones, LOL) might be an expert.  :)

I've never really used essential oils, but they seem to be everywhere lately!  I would really like to learn more about them.  Do you have any favorite books or websites that talk about very basic use and getting started with them?  And what are some of your favorite oils, and what do you use them for?

Thanks, look forward to your responses!!

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Newbie with essential oils questions
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 08:55:14 PM »
Hi ladies!!

Hmph.  Essential oils are very manly.

8)

Julia Lawless
The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils
Our copy is ©1992, but it looks like there's a 2013 edition available now.

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:40:11 AM »
Are you asking in relation to medicinal uses, general aromatherapy, or something else?

I personally use them for aromatherapy (though not extensively) and scenting my homemade soaps. I just finished a batch that I added lavender, tea tree, and eucalyptus oil to. I plan to use it as hand soap and a wash for my handspun/handknit/handwoven projects as all three of those oils have moth repelling properties.

Other than that I just buy good quality oils that I think smell nice. Good oils are more expensive, but will serve you better in the long run.

Offline Sunshine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 10:10:38 AM »
Hmph.  Essential oils are very manly.

8)

Julia Lawless
The Encyclopedia of Essential Oils
Our copy is ©1992, but it looks like there's a 2013 edition available now.

LOL... no offense intended to our male essential oil experts!  ;)  I was wondering where to drop this topic and it seemed a good place to start.  :)

AvenueQ, I'm not entirely sure of the range of my interest yet.  :)  I was originally intending to ask about more medicinal purposes, but I like the idea of using them to scent soaps or candles, as well as for cleaning, as I've heard some ideas about that.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 04:25:46 PM »
What do you want to know?

Aromatherapy info is everywhere, but the main thing is go with what you like.

Soaps are similar, but there are some rules like not adding them until the very end (like vanilla in recipes) because they will boil off and not be left in the soap.  Or that most citrus are too volatile to last in soap, so use citrus-like oils such as lemongrass or bergamot instead. 

Medicinal info is harder to find reliably.  We have a couple decent paper books and are learning from here and there.  We have an insanely extensive oil collection at this point, but if we started over I would focus on a few more multi use oils and blends:
An external wound blend, usually called first aid something
An immune booster
An antibiotic blend like four thieves or oils of the bible plus oregano oil
A headache/nausea blend

Then I would work on specific oils for your needs as you research them. There are a few that are crazy expensive, but worth it if you need them.  Helichrysum italicum is a hundred something per bottle (works out to 25-50 cents per drop depending on which size bottle you get) but will heal a wound when nothing else will.  It is like having acres of fresh comfrey stored in this little bottle.

Offline Sunshine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 08:58:20 PM »
What do you want to know?

Aromatherapy info is everywhere, but the main thing is go with what you like.

Soaps are similar, but there are some rules like not adding them until the very end (like vanilla in recipes) because they will boil off and not be left in the soap.  Or that most citrus are too volatile to last in soap, so use citrus-like oils such as lemongrass or bergamot instead. 

Medicinal info is harder to find reliably.  We have a couple decent paper books and are learning from here and there.  We have an insanely extensive oil collection at this point, but if we started over I would focus on a few more multi use oils and blends:
An external wound blend, usually called first aid something
An immune booster
An antibiotic blend like four thieves or oils of the bible plus oregano oil
A headache/nausea blend

Then I would work on specific oils for your needs as you research them. There are a few that are crazy expensive, but worth it if you need them.  Helichrysum italicum is a hundred something per bottle (works out to 25-50 cents per drop depending on which size bottle you get) but will heal a wound when nothing else will.  It is like having acres of fresh comfrey stored in this little bottle.

+1!!  This is good info.  What are the paper medicinal books you like?  And where are some reliable sources where you find your oils?

I think medicinal info is probably what I'd most like to know... like you said, it's harder to find reliable sources, and it's the kind of thing, unlike aromatherapy and candles, that you don't want to learn by trial and error!  :)

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 07:22:23 AM »
For glossy detailed book:https://www.aromatools.com/Modern_Essentials_2014_Bundle_p/1150k.htm
We have just the mini version.  Great detail and organization.  Covers aromatherapy, internal and external application.  Human and animals.  Very good reference book. 

Our go to book: http://www.nativeamericannutritionals.com/healing-power-of-liquid-copals-book.htm
Simple book, not nearly as slick as the above books but it has a concise list of conditions and the oils that are beneficial that we use all the time.  Very focused on direct application and not aromatherapy and only Native American Nutritionals oil blend names, but they can be cross referenced to other brands fairly easily.  It also has a very good application section including the foot, back, and ear charts--similar to reflexology or acupuncture charts but for oil application.

Offline Sunshine

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 08:53:35 PM »
Thank you, I will take a look at those! 

If anyone has additional thoughts to share, that would be great.  :)

Offline Evelyn Mitchell

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 02:20:08 AM »
This is the book that started me on my journey "The Art of Aromatherapy" by Robert Tisserand, His website: http://roberttisserand.com/, and is still my favorite reference as it covers a wide range of very practical uses for essential oils, he explains the unique as well as the common properties and includes some history, it is very thorough.

My first oils were from Frontier Herbs, very good quality. They have merged their essential oils with "Aura Cacia" which had very good quality too, and are now a part of the Frontier Herb's company. I have used them for over 20 years and still have 5 of my original 6, though they are nearly empty. True essential oils do not go bad, though the quality may change either improving as with Patchouli and Ylang Ylang, ...I know there are some that weaken but I don't know which ones. http://www.frontiercoop.com/, and http://www.auracacia.com

For very high quality I use Swiss aromatics.

My two favorite books for the medical use of essential oils is by Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt, they are Advanced Aromatherapy, and Medical Aromatherapy both very good, but a strong understanding of chemestry, better yet Biochemistry is a big plus. His website's:
"Pacific Institute of Aromatherapy" and "Original Swiss Aromatics", founded by Dr. Kurt Schnaubelt, 1983, http://newpacificinstituteofaromatherapy.com/about-us/

In a pinch "Now" brand essential oils available at your local health food store are good to use, their quality is better on some oils than others, and more reasonably priced. They are slowly getting into organic oils. I have had very good results with their Oregano, Tea Tree, Pine, and all the spice oils.

I hope this helps someone, or if Sunshine is still looking for more information.

Evelyn

Offline Caomac

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:14:24 PM »
Ok. So no expert here because I don't need to be. My partner is a certified herbalist and much more invested into the practice. I don't claim anything beyond persuasion and the ability to convince others. Anyway, I just want to help as best I can

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 12:38:48 PM »
From our little book on Cleansers:

All Purpose Cleaner:
Submitted by ladieu
Ingredients:
1/2 white vinegar
1/2 water
Optional: 3 or 4 drops of citrus essential oil such as lemon or grapefruit.
Directions:
Mix. Use with a plastic spray bottle.