Author Topic: Affordable Body armor? know of any? is there a market?  (Read 5583 times)

Offline 12th man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Affordable Body armor? know of any? is there a market?
« on: August 02, 2015, 07:14:49 PM »
Does anyone know of truly affordable body armor? Nothing that you would use if you had a high probability of getting shot at, for that i would spend the $6-800 bucks. this would be for the low probability, SHTF situation. in this case, something is better than nothing, doesn't need to be ultra light, or certified.

Does anyone sell the armor (AR500) for a fair price? the carriers are not bad, but armor,especially curved seems over the top.

Is this an under served market? In other words, do you think preppers would, or would you, purchase AR500 armor at 20% the going rate knowing it was uncertified?

If this is something you would be interested in, how much would you pay for a full set (front, back, sides) curved, Plain AR500 plates that are identical in size to the certified ones so they fit the standard carriers?

Offline fnfalguy

• Survivor
  • Ever learning...
Re: Affordable Body armor? know of any? is there a market?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 07:50:33 PM »
Guess it depends on a few things.  What level of protection are you looking for?  What do you/your audience consider affordable?  Not trying to be a wise ass but soft armor (IIIA) @ $300 seems reasonable to me and can be found easily.  Ar500 plates can be found for under $100 each if you are patient. 

Solo mi dos centavos

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 08:29:48 PM »

Offline Marinesg1012

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 09:54:13 PM »
what level are you looking at getting? Level IV plates (stand alone rifle level) are going to be more then plates designed to be used in conjunction with soft armor.

Steel plates are a good choice, I would get them rhino lined to reduce the chances of spawling.

if you go with ceramics the thickness of the plates go up so that is another decision, is this going to be more low profile plates or are you going to go high pro with a more military look?

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 10:19:40 PM »

Offline Erigorn

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Finally joined MSB!!
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 11:15:48 AM »
Catiarmor.com
Very reasonable prices for good ar500 plate of type 3. I got in on a promo for 17% off thanks to glen Tate and 17th irregulars.

Offline Giff Sheriff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 11:34:20 AM »
body armor is the one thing I wouldn't bargain shop for. But that's just me. ;)

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 11:58:25 AM »
Scenario:

Wide spread civil unrest and you are guarding your property or some other area.  Basically you are others are on guard duty.
You are walking and standing a lot, climbing in and out of vehicles.  This isn't "war", but there's an elevated risk some knucklehead could take pot shots from blocks away.
Given the political climate, I'm not as concerned about keeping a low profile.  I don't want to necessarily look like rambo, but I don't have to blend in with the business casual crowd either.

There are SO many configurations available:

What carrier?
Soft + plate?
plate only?

Is this worn under clothes, or does the carrier double as load bearing gear?

I get frustrated when I hear "don't go cheap" because there are many different missions. 

Given my scenario, and I want to be "value" conscious - what does the forum recommend?

Offline 12th man

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 06:07:34 PM »
Smurf, if your last question was a real one, that is part of what i was asking...i think

Given a low probability SHTF situation would there be a market for low cost armor plates that are a bit heavier, a little less effective (than class IV), but much cheaper. I think i would get it for ~$200. You can buy a vest/carrier for ~$80, so if someone had the plates for $120 for a full set i would do it.

I work for a fab shop, i think i could easily get AR500 down to that price, or a very similar metal. And when i say full set, i mean curved front, back, and sides.

Offline Giff Sheriff

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2015, 09:33:49 AM »
So to the budget conscious, I guess I can offer this as a possible solutions to your money constraints,

Don't look for a full vest, instead buy just a ballistic panel, that deals with the threat level you think you will encounter.

Put this panel in any bag you might be using like a laptop case, day pack or over night bag.

In an active shooter situation you could quickly deploy the bag in front or behind you to give you some measure of protection.

It won't be the same as darning a vest but you will be more "grey" in your appearance and will have saved some money, over buying a full vest.

I still stand on my first statement in this thread, that to buy cheap ISN'T a good idea but with a little creativity, you can save some money. ;)

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Affordable Body armor? know of any? is there a mark
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2016, 11:21:46 AM »
Check eBay and pawn shops for old military or police armor. Sometimes it can be had cheep. You may also consider looking at AR500 steel targets 8" square of the like it is designed to stop 7.62 and should fit in mil Surp vests no ideal but cheaper option.