Author Topic: Ladies' community garden/knitting/canning circle  (Read 17233 times)

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
Ladies' community garden/knitting/canning circle
« on: October 21, 2008, 08:43:05 PM »
Jack was talking about having a community garden with neighbors where those of us survivalists get together and share what we have so that we all become enriched with either knowledge or veggies. So I am interested who all of you ladies are close to me or to eachother that you can start your community garden/knitting/canning circle.

Myself, my name is Christi and I live in southwest washington state near portland. How about the rest of you ladies?

coffecat

Re: Ladies' community garden/knitting/canning circle
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2008, 10:45:20 AM »
Hi !  I live in Shenandoah Valley, VA.  So sorry not close to you. Quilting is my fav thing to do.  And Gardening.  But am at a new place and this ground has never been dug up before.  Right now am working at nite making apple dumplings for a church sale Sat.  And putting together FAUX oil lamps - for
Christmas gifts, see http://www.allfreecrafts.com/candles/faux-oil-lamp.shtml
And they are turning out nice.  Very cold here - freezing this am.  Heavy frost.  Annette

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2008, 10:58:14 AM »
THanks for being the first one to reply.  ;) Hopefully in not too long we will each have a nice community of gals in our areas. THanks too for the gift idea they are very cute!

-C

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 11:50:18 PM »
So I learned how to knit and quilt so now I just need sheep and a spinning wheel then I will really have a homestead.

SueDonim

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 06:17:35 AM »
Don't forget to get a rocking chair ;)

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:58:36 AM »
Ha Ha thats funny cause I really want one ... or two one for me knitting and my husband with his shotgun on the porch of our dream farm house wouldn't that be a picture. ha ha. More likely I will knit and he will reload in front of the tv unless that is gone.  :D

Kara

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 03:02:42 PM »
Hey ladies,

Has anyone here grown their own flax and harvested the fiber to make thread with? It's something that I know will grow in the short North Dakota growing season, and it's a skill I can learn to barter with later if need be. I am going to give it a whack this coming spring, but I was hoping to hear about someone else's experience with it, so if you've tried this, please post a note and let me know how it came out for you.

Thanks!
Wintersparrow
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:13:22 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:50:13 PM »
I haven't but let us know how it goes. honestly it is the first I have heard of it but very cool.
 :) good luck

Kara

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 09:33:53 AM »
Mrs. ElyasWolf,

Here's the You Tube video I got the idea from...it's a whole series on flax and what to do with it. Also there are a lot of interesting home made spinning wheels people show you how to make and use on You Tube as well. It's surprising how easy some of this stuff is. It's time consuming, but in the winter, I have a little bit more time to fuss with stuff like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAvUrj-Yq6s

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2008, 09:45:59 PM »
That is really cool. Thanks for the link.  ;D

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2008, 06:50:45 PM »
Quilting question?

What do you use for batting in quilts when shtf. I have always used the store bought batting with my quilts and yarn at the corners of the squares. What other methods would be good for shtf?

Offline susan1957

• Senior Survivalist
  • Steel Magnolia
    • Smith's Simple Frugal Life
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 08:00:36 AM »
Hey ladies,

Has anyone here grown their own flax and harvested the fiber to make thread with? It's something that I know will grow in the short North Dakota growing season, and it's a skill I can learn to barter with later if need be. I am going to give it a whack this coming spring, but I was hoping to hear about someone else's experience with it, so if you've tried this, please post a note and let me know how it came out for you.

Thanks!
Wintersparrow
I've wondered the same thing about cotton.  I live in Cotton country and have been known to pick cotton but now I'm wondering where I could learn to convert the cotton to fabric . 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:50:38 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 09:18:28 AM »
http://www.spinningtheweb.org.uk/journey.php?Title=Making+cotton+learning+journey&step=1&theme=industry
THis is just basic info of each step like harvest pick out bad stuff and spin doesn't go into detail but it is a start if you are completely new to cotton.

I can usually find stuff on youtube.com or instructables.com but the only thing I found on those two is this video on spinning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB_QroahZ2c&feature=related

Maybe you will be able to find more on youtube.com with your search. Good luck. :)

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »
See I already found another video for carding cotton...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsvWwK6Icjo&feature=related

Kara

Re:Crochet
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 09:41:09 AM »
Hi ladies,

There are other postings on the ladies prep focus thread about crochet, and I thought I would transfer that here since it seemed to be the right place for it. What follows are the things I posted about crochet, and a link to You Tube that shows how to get started. Does anyone else here crochet?

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=crochet&search_type=&aq=f

What I like best about crochet is, after you get practiced at it, you can almost go on auto pilot and make blankets while watching tv, or sitting around with friends. It's gotten to the point with me that I have a hard time sitting still without something in my hands. I've made blankets, bags, pillow toppers, doilies...all sorts of things. Right now I am making an afghan out of a two color, large granny square as a wedding gift for a friend.

And, if you lose your crochet hook in a SHTF scenario, you can always pick up a stick and carve yourself a new one as long as you have a means to sand it down to make it smooth. Sandpaper...another thing to stow a way. Good thing it's flat!!

If you, or anyone else, have questions about crochet, please let me know and I'll do my best to help out. It's really a useful skill.

Offline kimber

• Prepper
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »
Hi! I'm Kim and I'm from southern NJ.

I'm planning on teaching myself and my daughters (and maybe my son too -  :-X don't tell DH) to crochet and then we'll move on to knitting.
We are also planning our first garden. My three kids will be doing most of the work. Therefore we will be attempting some canning. We also hope to get some chickens.

There is a local yarners club here at the senior center. I thought about calling them and asking if they'd like some green horns to teach. Maybe I'll do that....

Kimber

IRoberge

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 02:33:31 PM »
Hello Ladies...this is my first post but I've reading the forum for awhile.

I'm teaching myself to knit and have made quite a few washcloths so far.  They are so soft!! 

I love the idea of the ladies community and can't wait to learn new skills from ya'll.

Isabel

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2009, 07:33:47 PM »
Oooooooh, I would love to learn how to turn cotton into yarn.  We have cotton fields all around every other year here and I've never been ambitious enough to try to process it, but I think about it often.  I'd like to hear more from anyone who has done that.

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2009, 07:34:53 PM »
BTW, I'm in AL; LOVE to knit and crochet.  Great seeing y'all on here.

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2009, 12:21:33 PM »
Quilting question?

What do you use for batting in quilts when shtf. I have always used the store bought batting with my quilts and yarn at the corners of the squares. What other methods would be good for shtf?

Good question...I'm pretty sure you can bat them with just about anything as long as your quilting is relatively close....old blankets...scraps of fabric layed in evenly....maybe feed sacks...kitchen towels?

Offline Mrs. ElyasWolff

• Prepper
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2009, 11:29:04 PM »
Good ideas.
I guess I can own/raise some geese so I can have dinner and a blanket. Although I have never done that so don't know...

Offline TXChikk

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lovely
    • Foxy Flair
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2009, 06:46:33 AM »
dinner and a blanket

sounds like a good marketing slogan to me  ;)

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2009, 09:13:03 AM »
I'd love to join.  I live in Northwest Washington.  I know how to knit, but haven't done much in a long time.  I'm learning how to garden this year and can.  I'm should be getting my canner today, WOOHOO!

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2009, 11:23:59 AM »
Hey ladies,

Thanks!
Wintersparrow

I'd love to hear how that goes, Wintersparrow!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 06:46:42 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2009, 05:08:51 PM »
Hi! I'm Kim and I'm from southern NJ.

I'm planning on teaching myself and my daughters (and maybe my son too -  :-X don't tell DH) to crochet and then we'll move on to knitting.
We are also planning our first garden. My three kids will be doing most of the work. Therefore we will be attempting some canning. We also hope to get some chickens.

There is a local yarners club here at the senior center. I thought about calling them and asking if they'd like some green horns to teach. Maybe I'll do that....

Kimber

That is a great idea! I will try heading over to the local sprawling county senior center and see if I can practice my knitting and crochet with them! as for your son, you may want to try Macramé (http://www.wikihow.com/Macrame) as a viable alternative. It teaches knotwork and doesn't need a hook or needles so it might appeal to him  if he doesn't take to crochet. Plus he can make things like fishing net and even a hammock (http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1972-07-01/Macrame-Your-Own-Hammock.aspx). He could even make bracelets and belts for fundraising projects and such. Just a thought!

Kara

« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2009, 07:31:24 PM »
Hey ladies,

Thanks!
Wintersparrow

I'd love to hear how that goes, Wintersparrow!

Hi Coldfishgirl...I learned something really interesting about plants that produce fiber you can spin. Stinging Nettle is also something that you can get fiber from. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stinging_nettle. The nice thing about this plant is that it just grows wild by the roads, at least here in North Dakota. They are pretty tough, though, and it seems to me that they would grow pretty much anywhere, which would make them free to harvest for the most part. Even if my flax does ok, I'm going to try to get some thistle and try that too so I can see the differences in the fibers.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:50:42 PM by Sister Wolf »

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2009, 07:24:49 PM »
That's interesing info, Wintersparrow, thanks again.  We have several different kings of pesky thorny plants that grow here like mad; if I could find a good use for them, but I haven't learned to identify which is which yet.  It will definitely be a project for later.  My mother is after me to process her chowski dog's shed hair at the moment.  :P
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:14:30 PM by Sister Wolf »

Kara

« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 07:43:35 AM »
lol...I look forward to hearing how that project turns out.

I wish a person could spin cat hair, but it's not formed in a way that will bind together and hold a twist. When my cat was living she shed more long fur than dogs I've had! I tried it once, and it made a pretty little thread, but if you put any real pull on it at all, it just disintegrates and just becomes a furball again. Shucks!

Offline Rosesandtea

• Survivor
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2009, 08:34:32 AM »
Am I the only lady on this board in England?    

I used to enjoy canning when I lived back home (OK).   Really, I was just learning but I did enjoy it.  I did peaches, and various conserves, and bread-and-butter pickles.  Not having the same equipment here put me off  but perhaps I need to try it here (some of the methods done here wouldn't be considered safe back home).  I think if I lived back home I'd put away a good number of canning supplies.

I knit, crochet, sew (don't like that so much, but I can do it - not expert level though), spin (at a learner's level) and a few other crafts (I like to try things!).

I can give medicine to chickens - and have even given an injection to a chameleon (and a course of oral laxatives to him, too - I never imagined such a thing!!). 

I've always loved homey, crafty things.  Right now I'm making yo-yos. 

Did any of you prepare anything for y2k?   I didn't do a lot (and don't /didn't have a husband who is on board, much, although he puts up with me to some degree, and is now listening to a couple of Jack's podcasts) but I did store up some water and a few other things but not to any great extenct.  I bought denim, of a good length, thinking it might come in handy if things got bad.  I still have it somewhere....

I'm waiting on some supplies to make candles with.  Hopefully should be able to try this week.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 08:36:27 AM by Rosesandtea »

Offline CFG

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2009, 04:52:20 AM »
Hi there Rosesandtea,

I didn't feel the need to prepare for Y2K.  We did the usual thing, we've always bought in bulk, but nothing out of the ordinary. 
I suspect any real apocalyptic events will happen unexpectedly.  And I kinda think Jack's right about the slow decline. 

As for chickens, that's cool; I hope to have chickens in the next two years.  But prepping is time-consuming, so right now my greatest difficulty is organizing and time-management.  I really, really want to learn to spin, though.

Here's a funny blog on apocalypse knitting (foul language advisory :o):
http://redshirtknitting.com/?tag=survival-knitting