Author Topic: Foxfire series  (Read 8501 times)

Offline jm_sol

• Prepper
Foxfire series
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
I have been reading the Foxfire series. While looking into this section i probably missed posts regarding this series. I cannot recommend enough these books. They are articles written from interviews of local mountain people. much history and personal stories. but lots of diagrams and descriptions of how things were done years ago.. lots of commonsense and fun memories from the treasured old folks of the appalachians. )sp??  hope i havent reposted or misposted this

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Foxfire series
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 09:40:34 PM »
I picked up volumes 1 thru 7 off of ebay for a deal awhile back. Been so busy lately havent had a chance to sit down and start reading them.

Offline TexasGirl

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Simple country farm girl. Prepper? What's that?
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 01:05:33 AM »
Seven?  I had a packaged set of three my parents received when they first came out, I had no idea there were more.

Thanks for posting this!

~TG

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 03:41:11 AM »
 I've had the Foxfire series for years and love them. My sister gave me the first one on a birthday (I think I was 25) and I slowly collected the rest of them over the years.

It's funny how years ago I read all of the "how-to's" and skipped the stories. Now I've been re-reading them, but reading just the stories.  ;D I'd love to go back in time and meet some of those people. Aunt Arie is by far my favorite.

There are 12 in the entire series, and a special Christmas one, and reprint of the first one with expanded stories. They also had a magazine, which is now out of print but can be found on some of the used book websites. (I found quite a few on Abebooks and Alebris)

Offline Illini Warrior

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:29:54 AM »
Foxfire #1 thru #6 are considered to be the best ...... they are readily available online for downloading ....... not a bad selection for your Kindle

Offline Poppa C.O.B.

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:45:39 PM »
I found one of the foxfire books at a used book sale my local library was holding. I got it for 50 cents. wasn't so much to brag but to ask how i tell the difference in them. The one i have just says The Foxfire Book. Should i assume that this is book one?

Offline hammerwrench

• Prepper
  • If it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer!
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 12:36:28 AM »
http://www.foxfire.org/   Check out their website.  Seems like a worthy cause to support.  It might even be nice to get our own kids to start a similar program in this area.  I can only imagine the amount of knowledge that will be lost when our older generations pass on.  Imagine how much the kids would learn.  Lord knows they won't listen to me.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 12:43:07 AM »
I found one of the foxfire books at a used book sale my local library was holding. I got it for 50 cents. wasn't so much to brag but to ask how i tell the difference in them. The one i have just says The Foxfire Book. Should i assume that this is book one?

Yeah, probably. If it doesn't have a number on the spine, it's probably book one. We have them all, and LOVE them. I either didn't know, or had forgotten that they are available as ebooks. Gonna have to pick them up in that format for my Nook!

amanadoo

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:22:27 AM »
I haven't read them either (but I am excited to now!), and I had the same question about "The Foxfire Book." On amazon, they have the date listed behind the title and that was has the earliest date, so I assume it's the first as well.

Offline rjfortuna

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 07:40:08 PM »
I have all 7. Picked em up for between .50 to $4.00 at half priced books. Greatness. Do not hesitate.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
The first (and maybe other) editions of Book 1 were simply labeled "The Foxfire Book."  I have a copy.  I also own a copy of a later edition where the first book is labeled Foxfire Book 1.

They are fantastic.  Their combination of old time skills with the stories and thoughts of the old timers is fantastic.  I especially like the attempt to write in the accent and idiom of the person they recorded.  It really helps them come alive to me.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 10:58:28 PM »
Local library has 1-10 of the series. I've checked them out multiple times. Have to break down one day and buy them.

Offline backwoods_engineer

• Survivalist Mentor
  • An engineer trying to get back to the woods
    • Backwoods Engineer's Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 09:48:48 AM »
I'd like to recommend Foxfire 10 for the carpenters and woodworkers out there.  It captures the life and times of Max Woody and his son Myron Woody of the North Carolina mountains, who like three generations of their ancestors STILL make wooden chairs using the old-fashioned methods.

A friend of mine is a cousin of Max's, and just bought a chair from him.  Yes, they are expensive -- about $1000 -- but they last a lifetime and more.  And if it ever breaks, Max or his son will fix it.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2015, 11:49:14 PM »
I've got 13 in the series which includes a cookbook, a Christmas one, and one on an Aunt who was a real character. Anyone ever seen a comprehensive index of topics found online that highlights where a subject is in each book?