Author Topic: Girl Friend bitten by Rabid DOG ... People please carry pepper Spray  (Read 5823 times)

Offline sams

• Prepper
  • Incompetent Prepper in Chief - Africa
I gave my Girl Friend some good quality pepper spray for her self-defense, explained the use of it ... but instead of being responsible with it, she showed it to her Uncle, who is COMPLETE F-ing IDIOT, who proceeded to "test it" and sprayed the two of them. WHY ? Just because He is an IDIOT, and because the GF doesn't have the guts to SAY no to HIM.  >:(

It gets worse, so of course she gets scarred of it, insist for me to take it back and refuse to carry it in her bag ... then yesterday she went to a neighboors house and got BITTEN BY THEIR DOG ... who SURPRISE not only turned out not to have been vacinated but show signs of being rabid.

Rabid treatment for people costs 1500$ in total, and 80% of the hospitals in my hometown don't even have it in stock !

So lesson learned, DO carry pepper spray, not only for defense against people but also rabid/feral animals. I always carry one on my car keys but will double down and have one as part of my EDC. I rather spend an extra 30 minutes having to tell a police officer to pound sand when asked about my right to carry a defensive weapon, than go through this situation myself.

I remember Jack told the story in one of his podcasts that He used his pepper spray on one of his friends dogs that tried to attack him

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
Re: Girl Friend bitten by Rabid DOG ... People please carry pepper Spray
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 05:09:56 PM »
Ugh.  Best wishes to your girlfriend!

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 06:03:35 PM »
Will pepper work on a rabid animal?

No offense, just an honest question as I was always told only lead would stop a rabid attack.

And yeah, that sucks.  Make sure the police report paper trail is in place so the neighbor pays the treatment.  Then it is at least one less kind of pain for your girlfriend.

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 06:20:00 PM »

No offense, just an honest question as I was always told only lead would stop a rabid attack.

And yeah, that sucks.  Make sure the police report paper trail is in place so the neighbor pays the treatment.  Then it is at least one less kind of pain for your girlfriend.

I was wondering about that too.

In my last job, I had extensive contact with unfamiliar dogs because I had to just walk into about 50-200 backyards without having the dog restrained or even informing the homeowner (did I mention I love my current office job?).  Some dogs are not stopped by pain, and if anything, it eggs them on.

I was talking to a LEO one time who said he shot a dog in the jaw once, and it still wouldn't let go.

So nothing is foolproof.  But increasing your odds is always good.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2015, 07:38:54 PM »
Don't rely on normal noxious stimuli to dissuade a rabid animal from attacking you.  Rabid, encephalopathic, brains don't function normally, they've been hijacked by the virus.  You need to be able to physically put the animal down.

I gather that the OP is in Africa, where the risk is several orders of magnitude higher than the US, where our biggest rabies risks are from bats and racoon, not dogs, even the feral types.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2015, 08:04:50 PM »

Probably not, depends on how far the nervous system is affected by the virus. Early in the disease progress, maybe, later.. I doubt it.
With the dog showing symptoms, CDC ought to be informed, the dog in reality should be killed and the brain tested for rabies. I don't think that in this case the dog should be quarantined for 10 days, since apparently it is not healthy now.

Cedar

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 08:09:14 PM »
where our biggest rabies risks are from bats and racoon, not dogs, even the feral types.

Most of our Rabies in the USA/Canada is Bat-variant Rabies. Which is what the skunks, raccoons, dogs, cats, humans generally get... (pretty sure)

Cedar

Offline Russkie

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 08:53:59 PM »
I gather that the OP is in Africa, where the risk is several orders of magnitude higher than the US, where our biggest rabies risks are from bats and racoon, not dogs, even the feral types.

I worked several years in the veterinary field. We probably had one or two rabies scares in dogs a month, except during the deep winter. The owner's options were to pay us to quarantine the animal, or to quarantine at home.
If the animal was home quarantined, the animal control officers would stop by once a day for 15 days to see if the animal exhibited symptoms. If it did, the animal was put down the same day.

I guess i'm saying, the risk of running into a rabid dog in a neighborhood, at least in some parts of the country, might be more than you think. I didn't think rabies happened in my area until I saw how often it actually did.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 09:24:16 PM »
I guess i'm saying, the risk of running into a rabid dog in a neighborhood, at least in some parts of the country, might be more than you think. I didn't think rabies happened in my area until I saw how often it actually did.

I'd be curious where. I've burned up a lot of phone time talking to various public health departments in the SW states and was never once advised to send anyone for post-bite vaccination that involved a dog.  Bats, every single time, no questions asked, just do it.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2015, 09:28:01 PM »
If I remember right Bastrop County, Texas had the largest issue in the US for Rabies in recent years. A friend was down there and was telling me about it, so I had to look it up a couple of years ago.

EDIT: Skunks accounted for a full 566 of the 1,018 animals that tested positive for rabies in Texas in 2011. (Rabies was also found to have infected 304 bats, 37 raccoons, 31 foxes, thirty cats, 22 horses, ten cows, nine dogs, four goats, two deer, one bobcat, one coyote, and one alpaca.) Texas saw its last human rabies case in 2009 and its last fatal case in 2006, according to the Centers for Disease Control.

Texas's most Rabid countries.
1. Williamson County – 135
2. Travis County – 59
3. Burnet County – 57
4. Hays County – 29
5. Llano County – 26
5. Erath County – 26
7. Denton County – 25
8. Harris County – 24
9. Bastrop County – 23
10. Fort Bend County – 20

Cedar

PS It is kinda the wrong season for Rabies too isn't it?

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Militant Vaxxer
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2015, 10:06:15 PM »
I never was very impressed with my handful of interactions with Texas public health regarding rabies.  YMMV

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2015, 07:41:38 AM »
No one wants to admit old yeller had rabies.

And I am guessing 90+% of rabid animals go unreported.  SSS.  Rabid skunks and coons are just part of life in the country, and no one wants to report a dog.

Offline 9mmMaster

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2016, 11:25:35 AM »
So I was a police office for many years so my 2cents
Pepper spray works on many people but not all and at different levels

Same with dogs some it works super well very fast others not.
Great tool no substitute for a gun.